Forums

1700 Rating: What would I do to reach 1800?

Sort:
PRILSTONE

I've been doing tactics, played much bullet, 3min games and 5min games. 

What would I do and what not to do?

TheCherusker

1. Stop playing speed chess of any kind. I know it's fun but it does nothing to improve your game and only reinforces whatever bad thinking habits you have. In Live Games play at least with 30 min. time control + bonus time or slower. Also, start playing Online Chess games, also known as correspondence chess. Correspondence chess is great for learning openings and practicing correct thinking techniques.

2. Analyse EVERY game you play! Nothing serves to improve your chess more than analysing your own games in depth.

3. Keep solving tactical puzzles, daily, if possible. You need to do that for the rest of your chess career. And don't use Tactics Trainer on chess.com, which is virtually useless at getting you better at tactics. The way it is set up it isn't a trainer at all, rather it's more like taking a tactics exam. In one position a fork may be the theme, in the next one it may be a discovery, and in the one after that a pin, etc. Random puzzles of varying themes do absolutely nothing to train your pattern recognition. I have looked up the records of various people using Tactics Trainer and found many who have solved thousands, even tens of thousands of puzzles and still have a tactics rating in the 1200's or 1300's. Consistent repetition of the the same theme is the only way to get better and actually constitutes "training".

The correct way to train tactics is to work on several dozen puzzles of the same theme, before moving on to another theme. Get a good book on tactics, like Susan Polgar's Chess Tactics for Champions, and do the following: in her book, the first chapter is Forks and Double Attacks. Work on the first 10 puzzles, giving yourself no more than 3 minutes per puzzle. If you haven't found the solution after 3 minutes, look up the solution ( the idea isn't to solve every puzzle, but to learn something). After you have solved the first 10 puzzles in this way, start over. Solve the same 10 puzzles again. Obviously you will have an easier time solving those 10 puzzles the second time around. That's the point. You're training, and what you are training when you do tactics training is pattern recognition, which is what finding tactical opportunites in a game is really all about; it's hard to recognize something you haven't seen before. After you have completed the same 10 puzzles for the second time, solve them again for a third and final time. Then do the same for the next 10 puzzles, and so on. If you want to get really good at chess, you have to get really good at tactics, and if you want to get really good at tactics, do it in this way. Go through the whole book in that way. After you have finished the book, read it again from the beginning. Read it again and again until you can solve any random puzzle in the book in less than 10 seconds, before moving on to another book. You do not have to read a different book on tactics and be exposed to a new set of puzzles after every book you finish. You're not doing a crossword puzzle, you're trying to program your brain to recognize tactics, which can only be achieved through constant repetion, NOT by doing something new all the time.

4. Get a good book like Richard Reti's Masters of the Chess Board, and study the games in the following manner: Using your chess board, play through the first 10 moves of the game then cover up the moves of the winner of the game and guess every move of his before looking it up. You don't have to spend a lot of time on guessing the move, no more than a minute. Go through the whole game that way without reading any of the commentary of the moves. After you've gone through the whole game that way, go over the game again, this time reading the commentary. Finally, go over the game a third time, using the same method as you did during the first reading, trying to guess the moves of the winner. Do that with every game you ever analyze.

5. Study endgames. Focus first on King and pawn endgames, then Rook endgames, then the rest.

PRILSTONE

Thanks Wuelher. Hope I could find the books you recommend here in our place. I appreciate your guidance.

MonsieurNiaiseux

@Wuelher: would you say that this applies to players of all levels?

MonsieurNiaiseux
[COMMENT DELETED]
amilton542

No. Experience solves tactics. Learn how to evaluate positions.

PRILSTONE

Thanks mates.Smile

theucamara

4 is so right. It works for everything, even chess. You can learn trying (find out the next move) or teaching.

PRILSTONE

Thanks for your advice guys. 

mariners234

This topic is 4 years old.

OP is 1900 now.

mariners234

His title doesn't ask how to get to 1800 FIDE blitz

But also, I've never seen someone compare chess.com blitz to FIDE blitz. It seems like you made that up on the spot tongue.png Sure a 200 point difference may work for top 10 players, but that's not a reliable way to know a conversion for common people.

maathheus

I am a patzer, but i think the key is to analyze all your games and see what kind of mistakes you make. For instance, in my games 90% of my losts are due to tactics. So I focus on learning lots of tactics. When I notice I am being outplayed in the opening, I'll start learning openings, and so on.

Ziryab
I mostly agree with TheCherusker, but think there is benefit to combining this site’s tactics trainer with other sources. Solving is easier when you know the theme, and that doesn’t occur in real games.
Capabotvikhine

gain 100 points

jamesogwada

am addicted to playing blitz and bullet. I think this is the problem

NervousSock

I honestly don't know, but I know someone who does. Try playing a game against jmf77 and chat about it.

hikarunaku
mariners234 wrote:

OP is 1900 now.

He is back to 1700 lol. 

mariners234
hikarunaku wrote:
mariners234 wrote:

OP is 1900 now.

He is back to 1700 lol. 

lol grin.png

MazurP

Just play aggressively, and most of opponents will blunder under the pressure.

Awesometrsqa

Hello from 2020