Forums

And Yet MORE Silly Rules In Chess lol

Sort:
AlCzervik
DrSpudnik wrote:

FIDE is the plaything of corrupt governments. Aside from functioning to give out titles, its other actions are organized to enrich those who control it.

So it's a U.S. corporation?

AndyClifton

damn commie!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts.

Over in the Premium section someone has started a thread about the need to " cater to slow Players ". I'm not at all interested in Blitz Chess but at the same time one does want to keep the game moving along at a reasonable pace ( otherwise it becomes: " Sitzfleisch Chess anyone ? " ). I like to play Live Chess at the 15 & 10 setting which seems to be a good compromise in being neither too fast or too slow. One thing that I have noticed with Internet Chess is that some people take it way too serious. As I have mentioned in a couple of threads the FIDE does not count these games that we are playing here ( for obvious reasons ). I enjoy playing Chess and also use it as mental exercise ( covered in my thread on " Oldtimers " ). I assume that a lot of people come here for training purposes and to try out specific Openings or other gameplans. However I think that it is a good idea to remember that these games are only for fun, nobody is going to get any titles for their efforts here on the Internet.    

DrSpudnik
kenible3 wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote:

Good! If anyone deserves Alien probes inserted (you know where) it's the FIDE president.

punishment or reward?

LOL: Those poor aliens! Surprised

cabadenwurt

Kenible3: For some strange reason they do still give out titles for Correspndence Chess even tho that game is not what it once was.

cabadenwurt

Well the Holiday Season is over and we seem to have entered the " Silly Season ". Why would I say that ? Take the following thread ideas that are now on the go in the forums: Will Magnus reach 3000 ELO; plus one that asks: Will Magnus reach 5000 ELO ? I suppose that 3000 is possible as he is only 22 years old and should have lots of time to work on it. But as for 5000, well that is either very very silly or quite insane. Smile    

Javan64

insanely silly?...

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Javan64.

Not meaning to be nasty, but I can however only assume that the 5000 ELO thread was a trolling attempt. No other explanation seems possible. Surprised 

cabadenwurt

Can a 1300 rated player beat a 2700 player ? Well that thread has now gone past 1100 posts, and who said that being silly can't be fun ?

Also we have suffered a casualty in the silly threads. Yes Doctor D ( he of the " invinted " opening & trap ) has been given the heave ho, the bum's rush, the big kick in the rear end, etc etc. Adios Amigo ( may your " invintion " bring you fame and fortune ). Laughing

DrSpudnik
rooperi wrote:
blake78613 wrote:

I have a really silly idea.  If a game for the World Championship is a draw, play a blitz game to decide the result.

Oh that will never happen :0

Wasn't there a WC qualifying match a few years ago where a roulette wheel was pressed into service to pick the one to move on? I think Smyslov was involved for some reason.

cabadenwurt

A Roulette Wheel ? Par for the course I guess. Mind you they could go with a very fair idea in the furure by using the " Coin Toss System " ( noboby could object there ). Laughing 

cabadenwurt

And yet another " Silly " thread oh the go here today: Is intelligence directly related towards skill in Chess ? Ok then let us ask this question: How many really stupid people are very very good at Chess ? Oh Boy, World Champ Vishy is a moron, Nakamura is half-baked, Carlsen is just a dunce, etc etc ( any more " Intelligent " questions ? ). Laughing   

vanelau
kdamica wrote:

While we're at it, let's let pawns capture forward!

that would screw up hundreds of years of opening study.  i mean, if white played e4 black couldnt play e5 anymore

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Vanelau. In the first post of this thread I mentioned that the ideas posted here are all in fun. When I started this thread some people were calling for rule changes elsewhere in these forums and I wanted to play around too. Laughing

cabadenwurt

In one of my other threads I have mentioned that I recently came across a rare type of Chess while going thru the May 1978 issue of Chess Life & Review. Quadra Chess is played by 4 players and uses a board with 192 squares. There is not much info on this version of Chess in this magazine as it is only shown in a small ad but it does look quite interesting.  

AlCzervik

Holy cow, cabby! I have a hard enough time with only one opponent!

TheGrobe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-handed_chess

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the new posts.

AlCzervik: I gather that one of the ways that this version can be played is by setting up 2 teams which should be quite interesting.

TheGrobe: In the original ad ( from back in 1978 ) this version of Chess is only referred to as " Quadra Chess ". Somewhere along the way the term " Four-handed Chess " was created, perhaps to try to explain the nature of this type of game. I notice that Wikipedia does not use the term " Quadra Chess " at all even tho one can see from the photos that it is the same game.   

cabadenwurt

I just saw another item to be entered into the list of silly threads: " Checkmate is dumb ! ". Yup just let the game go on until one of the player passes away from old-age. Smile  

cabadenwurt

And yet another possibly silly thread from a fellow who has a young nephew that Beat Houdini 3 ( at a setting of 2500 ? ). The youngster has a type of autism I gather, but the question here would be: is the story re Houdini 3 true ? Many years ago I can remember watching the Mike Douglas show on TV and this fellow comes on with a little kid that is not even old enough to be in Kindergarden. The youngster has a modified set of Golf clubs and shows some skill in that game. If you guessed that the youngster would become a golfer by the name of Tiger you are correct. At the time I remember thinking that the situation of this kid playing Golf was a bit odd ( never say never ). Surprised