Forums

Any others with high IQ suck at chess.

Sort:
Meadmaker
zborg wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:
Meadmaker wrote:

Until I took up Chess, I had never met an intellectual challenge that had bested me.  

It isn't an "intellectual challenge," it's a game challenge.  People constantly seem prone to equating chess with raw intelligence.  It's not--it's a game, and takes a lot of practice and study to learn.

The bold above is the best summing up.  +10

The OP has long since left this thread.  We should follow him.  This dead horse has been kicked so many times in his IQ-addled head in these forums.

But new blood keeps reviving the issue, without knowing any history.  Blah Blah Blah.

The reason some topics come up again and again is because they are interesting to a large number of people.  Although this topic has been explored over and over in many, many, ways, it hasn't been explored in depth by me, or by other participants.   We find it interesting, whether or not someone else may have already plumbed the depths of the topic.

Would you walk into a Physics 101 lecture and tell everyone in it that they are wasting their time because other people already know the answers?  Of course not.  Don't make that same mistake here.

shequan

Meadmaker wrote:

this is truth here. in order to play chess at the best of your ability, you really do have to be stable mentally, you can't, say, be having  nervous breakdown.

what he refers to as "cunning" is also important in chess, although I think what he is talking about is just a lust for sports, competition, battle, blood, war etc. if you don't naturally have this lust, it can be incredibly difficult to progress beyond a certain level I feel, much more challenging than it would be for someone who does.

I've got plenty of cunning and more than enough blood lust, so that's not it.  I have good pattern recognition skills and incredibly good memory, though in middle age it is not so strong as it was in youth.

just to clarify, I wasn't implying that all that is required is a predisposition for sports, battle and competition, just that it is indeed a significant factor. one which most people neglect to take into proper consideration. I think someone who doesn't like sports all that much, doesn't really enjoy fighting with people, will improve at chess much more slowly than someone who is the opposite, if both started at the same time and everything else was completely equal.

shequan

I feel like Tony's frustration is maybe a bit misdirected, here.

Don't beat the guy down for calling chess an intellectual challenge, and in the next breath lament that it's because of how little it has to do with intelligence.

Intellectualism itself has very little to do with intelligence, and has quite a lot more to do with practice and (especially) study.

There are folks society will quite legitimately hold forth as intellectuals whose "intellectualism" is based entirely on knowledge and expertise in the field of, say, Shakespeare...or comparative Anabaptist religious studies...or comprehensive knowledge of 18th century china dolls.

Chess IS an intellectual pursuit.  That doesn't make it particularly valuable, or particularly intelligence-reflective.  So is PhD level knowledge of particle physics (which is perhaps a bit more reflective of raw intelligence), as well as deep understanding of the recurring motifs in Terry Pratchett's Discworld (which is probably less gruelling than chess, but would nonetheless fall under the umbrella of the intellectual).

i take issue with the notion that physicists, mathematicians display more "raw intelligence" than say, tolstoy, or something. I don't think this is true. I think it's different types of intelligence. but for whatever reason people are seemingly more impressed with the type of intelligence required for brilliant physics than they are for that which is required for brilliant art or literature or any other field, intellectual pursuit. I think this is cultural bias really and not exactly the truth. the truth, I think, is that there exists multiple types of intelligence and most people's brains specialize in one or two. maybe .05% of the world's pop, if that, are universal genuises. even this I kind of doubt.

shequan
ciljettu wrote:

Actually chess skill is quite reflective of raw intelligence, just as a proficiency in maths usually indicates raw intelligence too. Just because something is not politically correct does not make it false.

would someone please define the term "raw intelligence", what exactly, specifically are people talking about? 

e4nf3

shequan: ...essential basic things like who what where why and when aren't surprises in real life real world sporting competitions. makes sense right?

For you but not for me. For titled players, certainly.

I don't want to know much about someone I am going to play. I don't care if they love the Ruy or hate it. I want to be prepared for most anything, as best I can.

e4nf3

Meadmaker: And of course, age might play a role.

I think mostly what is going on is lack of willingness to pay the dues of getting better...study and practice.

e4nf3

No doubt. But this isn't what I'm talking about. There are those who don't  put forth the effort.

e4nf3

We are talking about two different things.

I am talking about people who can't break 1200 and are blaming it on age.

e4nf3

What the hay? You on the sauce?

cabadenwurt
[COMMENT DELETED]
e4nf3

You are right as rain, cabby. Chess does require both inspiration and perspiration.

palidin12

from observation over the years i have seen many chess players who have different life skills in meny different areas one of the best of them was a garbage man who had amazing powers of observational skills but no other skills other than a retentive memory. in6 months he started from scratch and won his states championship against pennant grade players .by the same token i know an engineer who is a genious at math but can`t break 1200 on chess board the best players seem to be people who can visualize menny moves ahead in any game they are playing whitch is why some children are excelent players at a young age.children think in pictures while adults tend to think in abstruct terms thus the best players are people who have not lost the visualisational powers of childhood and have added abstruct learning to their game.

cabadenwurt

Having at one time read thru all of this thread, including Shequan's interesting reply at post #144 ( replying to my earlier post ) I can see that we are going nowhere at a rapid pace. In the field of logic we would stand accused of Circular reasoning, at the very least. To paraphrase a title from a fun series of British films " Carry On Round The Bend "  lol.  

cabadenwurt

Thanks Chrisr, I'm having fun with all of the little theads that I've got on the go here. The classic case of " CR " is when one sees a dog chasing it's own tail --- a endless task  lol.

e4nf3

You have something intelligent to share? (lol)

fyy0r

Hi again, I will state some more truth

Any person, despite their intelligence, has the potential to become a good chess player.  I do not mean they will become World Champion, or even GM/IM, but everyone has the potential to reach 1800-2000 ('good' compared to most players).  They must have a love for the game, proper guidance and practice to do it.  Laszlo Polgar didn't just accidently raise 3 "genius" daughters who all had the right "genes" for chess, they are normal people just like everyone else who happened to have a father steer them through the chess ranks from a young age.  He is PROOF that a chess genius is made, not born (his own phrase infact).  His entire goal was to show this fact, people need to stop disregarding it. 

e4nf3 wrote:

No doubt. But this isn't what I'm talking about.

Read what I said again.

There are those who don't and have never put forth the effort.

There are those who were lousy when they were young.

There are those who blame age as a lame excuse.

That's what I said.

The guy who has me blocked is 61 and can't break 1000...due to "old age".

Here we have someone (who isn't blaming age...but is speculating about it) who is 49 and can't break 1200.

Think about the implications. Think about what I said.

Of course. you are wondering about me. So, I'll tell you. Age: 68. Had been away from chess 40 years. Just got back 2 years ago. Practice/study since: class B. Goal: A. I'm getting there. Age...smage.

This is complete nonsense, these people are leaning on age as an excuse for their own failures.

AlCzervik
chrisr2212 wrote:

i asked my mum "what would happen to a guy that successfully climbed up his own ass ? would he disappear ?" i don't remember the answer but it sounds like circular reasoning

ciljettu? Oh, wait, he's still here.

Back to the circle...

cabadenwurt

Complete nonsense on the internet --- how is that even possible ?  lol.

e4nf3

TMIMTW: This is complete nonsense, these people are leaning on age as an excuse for their own failures.

Yes...yes...we are in agreement.

cabadenwurt

Hmmm, what was I saying, oh yes Complete Nonsense on the internet !  lol.

This forum topic has been locked