Forums

beating shredder 4

Sort:
pdve

i played 3 games against shredder 4 at 1623 elo strength. i lost the first two in close games and won the third.

the difference was that in the first two games i played very open games which tactical. it was fun.

however in the third one i switched to the reti/english and the computer was confused. of course, i had to use tactics in the end to win but it allowed me to get a decent position.

i am thinking that this could be a useful computer tactic.

also, shredder 4 has warned me that now my elo is 2023 and that it will adjust its playing level to 1823 for the next game .. Laughing

eddysallin

I beat that old shedder w/ one hand tied behind my back and wearing blindfolds........Shedder sh-t, its dredder u best be careful of.

pdve

now i beat it again with it at 1823 elo.

it has warned me that it will raise its playing strength to 1973 elo for the next game Laughing

im getting the hang of confusing this machine.

eddysallin at what elo did you beat shredder?

pdve

ucanthandlethetrutch, what do you mean by hardest level? what elo are you playing at? also, did it give you a rating?

i recently got to an endgame with a bishop + knight vs two bishops to shredder and it was interesting enough. unfortunately, i wasn't able to defend everything but it was an interesting game, especially the endgame.

what i like about shredder is that it makes mistakes, so it is like playing a human. you just have to realize which moves are the mistakes.

pdve

fritz is too aggressive, it levels you in 8-10 moves. shredder is much more educative. i am running the demo version, might buy the product once the trial runs out.

MatchStickKing

I like playing with Houdini 1.5, very strong, but don't learn much from playing around with it - much better is a book or the old guys at my local club - they've seen it and done it all before Laughing

pdve

i know there's no point in playing against infinite strength. adjusting the playing level is much better. you can actually feel your strength increasing.

pdve

ucanthandlethetruth, rybka is at chessok, i am thinking of getting Aquarium GUI and using some other engine with it.

I heard that you can adjust playing strength in Aquarium as well.

A long time ago I had Aquarium with Rybka 3 and it was insane.

eddysallin
pdve wrote:

now i beat it again with it at 1823 elo.

it has warned me that it will raise its playing strength to 1973 elo for the next game

im getting the hang of confusing this machine.

eddysallin at what elo did you beat shredder ? Highest.

I cant be to involved w/ my backround. Right now(this week)i am completing my bucket list...hershy park,disney and wash. d.c..     #1 u cannot confuse a machine as the software is everything. Edge--find where weakness was created--Q,&two pawns &minor piece vs.Q. r &pawn. Not that this O.T.B. winnable but it's likely to have a built in weaknes !     Five years ago i could beat shredder 7/10 from white side; 50/50 w/ tight close games from black side. Today i do not play serious chess....a few puzzles.    Last year i did nigh. falls,caverans,high stakes blackjack and poker in 4 states  oka, vegas,n.j. louis. and skydived from 11,000 feet. Be well. thks. for contacting me. Contact u when i get back...6/6/13

pdve

i think i read on the website that it throw in subtle mistakes occasionally to mimic a human opponent.

this actually makes the games far more interesting than they would be with a machine since you don't know which moves are mistakes and so it's like playing a live game. this is the one feature due to which i prefer shredder 4 over other software like fritz even though you can handicap fritz as well, i don't think it throws in subtle mistakes.

eddysallin
pdve wrote:

i think i read on the website that it throw in subtle mistakes occasionally to mimic a human opponent.

this actually makes the games far more interesting than they would be with a machine since you don't know which moves are mistakes and so it's like playing a live game. this is the one feature due to which i prefer shredder 4 over other software like fritz even though you can handicap fritz as well, i don't think it throws in subtle mistakes.

play h3,a3, etc, across the boardb3,g3,d3,e3, and see how the machine responds, Is it different from starting e4,e5, any moves ? (any name) does not play e5 to e4 because it is" better", the move is to your likiing....u handle certain pieces n.s or b.s more confidantly.Professional players play the best move for them in each situation(given everything else is equal....material,position,tempo) that leads to winning opotions.

eddysallin
ucanthandlethetruth wrote:

if you keep restarting the game shredder will randomly choose any opening under the sun

Exactly.There is no one answer(leaving puzzles aside)to any situation...there is just your answer !Is it randomly making each move?