Forums

bullet chess ratings, mice etc

Sort:
shequan
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster
shequan wrote:

I have questions concerning bullet chess. I lose to someone rated 1000 and then beat someone rated 2000 the next game. I don't understand.

Clearly.

Best Win: 1617 (tripas_fritas)

Mattius

do you use premoves?

shequan
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster

Well 1000 to 2000 is a huge gap and made your post not believable to me... sorry if I was being too literal and it was meant to be an obvious exaggeration.

Bullet is its own skill.  First off it's a huge waste of time to find good moves (and even more to find best moves) you have to always find OK moves... just find moves that don't lose on the spot because time is everything.

To make it easier for you to find OK moves (and harder for you opponent) it helps to have a initiative or just be aggressive in general.  An absolute must you have to see all the forcing moves instantly (captures and checks) which isnt hard for good bullet players.

I haven't played in a long time actually, but I remember that you start to get a sense for unexpected moves too, and it's good to throw those in there.

The more you play it, the faster you'll get.  After you reach your limit, go back and get better at regular chess.  When you do, you can go back to bullet chess and implement the new patterns (or at least openings) you've learned.

shequan
Mattius wrote:

do you use premoves?

only sometimes. when there's seconds or fractions of a second left. is there some special technique to be applied with these during the entire course of a bullet game?

shequan
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster

As for the speed of processing patterns, this is what makes bullet so different.  I remember trying the (I think it was fritz) exercise where it shows you positions from real games and you have to highlight (by clicking on) all the undefended pieces for both sides.  If you highlight them all (with none highlighted that are defended) it shows you a new position.  The exercise lasts 1 minute.  My best was faster than 1 click per second.  And that's just undefended pieces, imagine the patterns some tactical people can see nearly instantly... all this to say, there are some very good human bullet players.

shequan wrote:

I'm just wondering if it would be more efficient to play more highly rated players (playing up more) than mainly staying within 200 or so points of the starting rating. that's all.

Well, that's a totally different question (even if you were thinking it the whole time ;)

Yeah, sometimes that can help.  But the more people play the more the rating is accurate.  Of course 1200 doesn't necessarily mean worse than 1400 for 1 game, it's just the average performance... and I guess that's exactly what you want to take advantage of (that higher rated players may do worse).  But again on average... after many games against different players... the rating will be correct.

shequan
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster

I was really excited one bullet game, about doing something I'd never done before (and never since, although I don't play much anymore)... it looked totally normal on the board but it's what happened in my head Tongue out

I saw 2-3 move pattern instantly like you said, but the pattern was only relevant because it produced a position that contained another 2-3 move pattern which I knew would win something... and when I reviewed the game I was right!  Normally if I had played this (or it had been played against me) I would have assumed it was luck, because as you said in bullet, no one sees that far ahead instantly...

It's kind of hard for me to describe... it's the speed at which it happened that made it exciting to me.

But check out some titled players on ICC playing bullet... the more you know, the more you can spend your conscious thought on... so you instantly recognize a 5 move pattern and you spend your thinking time on how to bring it about or avoid it.  If you've memorized whole games like them, themes and all, you can produce some pretty sophisticated games lightning fast.

This is why an IM could give me 10 to 1 time odds and win every time.

waffllemaster

Anyway, all that to say, it's much more than a flip of the coin :)  Play a few hundred games and see if your rating doesn't level off around the same area (not fluctuate 1000 points for example).

shequan
waffllemaster wrote:

Anyway, all that to say, it's much more than a flip of the coin :)  Play a few hundred games and see if your rating doesn't level off around the same area (not fluctuate 1000 points for example).

I don't think this is true. I think if I created another profile, and played bullet and got lucky 5 times in a row I would automatically have a much higher rating than now. I bet people do this too. all the time. now I can win 3 of 4 in a row and maybe get 40 points. but if it was a new profile it would increase hundreds of points.

I wasn't talking about professionals or titled players. as you stated they have millions of patterns committed to memory and "chunked" inside their heads. they are not normal people.  I'm talking about the majority of chess enthusiasts playing bullet with ratings between 1400 and 2000. I don't think there's too much of a difference in strength between them all. it comes down to something else. and it has to do with video gaming.

shequan
[COMMENT DELETED]
shequan
waffllemaster wrote:

also I've done this on playchess. created another account, started fresh and saw my rating go far higher than it was much much faster within 5 games or so. I could do the same here. but I don't really care that much. because I know it's a video game and not real chess. (if you're not titled or professional, then it's something a bit different, but still video game-esque) 

shequan

if you did this, created another account, got all determined and rattled off 10 games in a row, you would have like a 1900-2000 rating, from then on you would only be matched with people around the same rating and would start getting nominal amounts of points for every win or loss, ensuring that the rating stays around the same number. 

waffllemaster

Well, you're intitled to your opinion.  It's funny to me though you think titled players are do it well because they've memorized patters.  2000 rated players have memorized many patterns too.  Not as many as a professional, but not as few at a 1500, see what I mean :)

Da-Novelty

Bullet and time goes hand in hand...Are you materialistic? Do you occassionally win a queen or a piece for that matter in the first few moves and ended up losing? It's all time. Buy a good mouse and prepare premoves.

zborg

You have played more than 7 thousand games, and your bullet and standard ratings appear lower than you blitz and online ratings.

You have an (unbalanced) "dumbbell shaped" distribution to your various ratings.  Maybe your reflexes are simply slowing down.  It happens after about 35 years old.

But it seems odd that your standard rating would be lower than your blitz rating. Perhaps you haven't played enough standard rated games to even out your rating there. Probably just playing more Game in 10/10 or Game in 15/5, will rectify that.

IMO, Bullet makes you go blind, and frays your nerves.  Why worry about it?

shequan

Pegr70 

shequan
zborg wrote:

You have played more than 7 thousand games, and your bullet and standard ratings appear lower than you blitz and online ratings.

You have an (unbalanced) "dumbbell shaped" distribution to your various ratings.  Maybe your reflexes are simply slowing down.  It happens after about 35 years old.

But it seems odd that your standard rating would be lower than your blitz rating. Perhaps you haven't played enough standard rated games to even out your rating there. Probably just playing more Game in 10/10 or Game in 15/5, will rectify that.

IMO, Bullet makes you go blind, and frays your nerves.  Why worry about it?

what the hell are you talking about? if you noticed while you were looking at the stats, I haven't played many so-called "standard games" (those should be termed rapid instead), thus the rating is not very high. if I played more I'm sure it would be between 1700-2000. also the majority of the blitz games were against the computer not people, I gained maybe a point or 2 for every win or loss, the rating stayed relatively constant even though I played thousands of 5 minute games against the computer programs.

"(unbalanced) "dumbbell (sp?) shaped" distribution to your various ratings" 

what are you talking about? this is a ridiculous statement that has no relevance to anything. 

reflexes? are you kidding me? what you trying to make pointing and clicking the mouse really fast sound as impressive as possible? no this isn't the case. it's just that it's a essentially a video game, street fighter with chess pieces, and I am horrible at video games, always have been, my entire life, age has no relevance. I sucked at mortal kombat when was 15 and I'm sure I still suck at it. 

and whose worried?