Forums

can magnus carlson cross the 3000 elo barrier

Sort:
Time4Tea
Indubioproaggredi wrote:

a gm explained me: the difference between 2850 and 2900 is bigger than between 1200 and 1800. and you talk about 3000

Maybe from a GM's point-of-view, given that most of them seem to be 2000-rated straight out of the womb!  Smile

josephcow264

i think 2900 is possible soon, but the only way for him to get to 3000 would be for many other players to get to 2900+ because he draws a lot so it wouldnt hurt him as much.

Benzodiazepine

Yes it's possible, one word: RATING INFLATION.

fabelhaft
SmyslovFan wrote:

it's extremely rare for a professional player to post his or her highest rating after about age 33-35.

Peak rating age of the latest World Champions:

Anand: 42

Kramnik: 38

Kasparov: 36-37

Karpov: 43

It is not impossible that Carlsen will be an exception and peak earlier, but I still think there are good grounds to believe he may have more than 5-10 years of elite chess left in him.

MNMSkyBlue

The only way is to go to a chess tournament and command everyone to give him at least 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 rating points.

lpblack

Its not that easy for Carlsen to cross 3000 as though he's just going to be playing weaker players only to make his rating reach that far.

MNMSkyBlue
lpblack wrote:

Its not that easy for Carlsen to cross 3000 as though he's just going to be playing weaker players only to make his rating reach that far.

You guys have no sense of humor...

Jion_Wansu
abdulmajidsayem1 wrote:

p.s. its carlsen sorry

Nope...

MuhammadAreez10

There is only one way:- RATING INFLATION!

varelse1

No, Carlsen cannot cross the 3000 barrier.

But Caruana on the other hand, well......

MuhammadAreez10

Caruana? Never. Me? Yeah! 2850 is certain for me. No joke.

MuhammadAreez10

Come on. No one takes me seriously when I say something like I shall be the youngest champion or Super-GM! Insha-Allah (means that if God wants), that'll happen! And no rant.

mnhsr

definitively not, unless FIDE politics push for it, then yes, by all means, yes.

MuhammadAreez10

Candidates Tournament.

blasterdragon

In his current form maybe he could reach it by going the other way Tongue Out

DjonniDerevnja

Carlsen did one bad tournament, he was upset because he lost on time unaware of the new rules. He is still the best chessplayer,

but I do think that Anand and the other big guys is to good to let him get 180 points ahead.

There is a good chance that Anand wins the candidate, and he has better chances than ever against Magnus now, because he realizes that he is good enough to have a close fight.

fabelhaft

"Their is a good chance that Anand wins the candidate, and he has better chances than ever against Magnus now"

Anand has been playing really well lately, but will after all be 47 next year. It would be very impressive if he could win the Candidates again, but my bet is Caruana.

Joker-Jamal

Answer to forum is No!

Elubas

2900 is still definitely possible, although quite difficult. Magnus may have a hot streak one day and get there, even if he doesn't manage to stay there consistently.

3000 is definitely no, unless rating inflation actually exists, which I don't personally think it does.

Elubas
DjonniDerevnja wrote:

Their is a good chance that Anand wins the candidate, and he has better chances than ever against Magnus now, because he realizes that he is good enough to have a close fight.

I don't think anyone's chances against Magnus are good at this point.