Forums

Can't improve over 350 ELO.

Sort:
ImTrashLOL_91
WalnutArcher wrote:

I wouldn't say that...

I have played near 600 games. I play simple book moves and "try" to focus on defending my pieces. Pretty much right after my pieces are developed I get crushed.

ImTrashLOL_91
WalnutArcher wrote:

This might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK6rAfukA44

Note: it is not a rickroll

And this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Note: it Is a rickroll

I will watch these videos even though I have watched these videos lol. Thanks for your help.

CraigIreland

In your last match you still had 13:50 of your 15:00 left on the clock. Your last move took 5 seconds and hung Checkmate. Your rushing is even worse now. Play a match where your one goal is to use all of your time, win or lose, and you'll instantly become a better player.

mirroredragon
OranegJuice wrote:

I don't have any advice specific to you. All I can do is tell you what worked for me that got me to my four digits. I did puzzles every day, I played 1. f3 2. kf2 and the reverse as black, and I played a lot of 5 and 10 minute games with an active focus of trying to play a just even a bit better than the game before.

1.f3 2.kf2 is a brilliant opening, truly you must be the messiah of chess

CraigIreland

Also, forget about trying to learn book moves. They're all but useless to you at the moment. The problem you need to solve is identifying what your opponent should do after you make a move which you're considering. This might sound difficult but the more time you spend on each move the more likely it is that you'll be correct and more importantly, it trains your mind to be able to do it more easily in future.

Sir_TrashPanda

Very good advice from @CraigIreland.

ImTrashLOL_91
CraigIreland wrote:

Also, forget about trying to learn book moves. They're all but useless to you at the moment. The problem you need to solve is identifying what your opponent should do after you make a move which you're considering. This might sound difficult but the more time you spend on each move the more likely it is that you'll be correct and more importantly, it trains your mind to be able to do it more easily in future.

That is mainly my problem.

ImTrashLOL_91
bharathkrish wrote:
It’s an exercise in futility. I’ve lost over nearly 300 ELO in a month. Unless you have a coach and dedicate your life to this you will forever oscillate between ratings and never make meaningful sustained improvement. Welcome to the club.

Ok, but you're like 1500 elo.

mirroredragon
ImTrashLOL_91 wrote:
bharathkrish wrote:
It’s an exercise in futility. I’ve lost over nearly 300 ELO in a month. Unless you have a coach and dedicate your life to this you will forever oscillate between ratings and never make meaningful sustained improvement. Welcome to the club.

Ok, but you're like 1500 elo.

that just means he's wasted more time on chess

mirroredragon
Randomizedplayer1 wrote:
Bruh if you do book moves you may definitely lose a lot. I’m only at 305 Elo yet I’m starting to do better quickly. Here’s a tip: do lessons, puzzles and study moves before you play(check if you may get captured or get checked

book moves are "book" because they follow an opening. a book move is only as good as your opening knowledge

Flameus1110
bharathkrish wrote:

You can 100% improve. You just have to practice tactics and endgames. It definitely isn't hopeless.

Flameus1110

Get a player rated a lot higher than you to play you and then throughout the game they can tell you where you're going wrong.

ImTrashLOL_91
Flameus1110 wrote:

Get a player rated a lot higher than you to play you and then throughout the game they can tell you where you're going wrong.

I have been having my brother help me who is like 1600.

ImTrashLOL_91
mirroredragon wrote:
Randomizedplayer1 wrote:
Bruh if you do book moves you may definitely lose a lot. I’m only at 305 Elo yet I’m starting to do better quickly. Here’s a tip: do lessons, puzzles and study moves before you play(check if you may get captured or get checked

book moves are "book" because they follow an opening. a book move is only as good as your opening knowledge

When I don't do basic moves I do worse. I usually follow the beginning opening of the Italian before developing and castling.

jgkelley35
hostileturkey wrote:
You’re hanging pieces, not taking hanging pieces, and not developing your pieces well. I was in the same boat as you a week ago (stuck at ~300) and I watched Chessbrah’s Building Habits on YouTube. His rules are simple, probably common sense, but just keeping them in mind as I’ve played helped me improve by 200+ Elo since I’ve watched it.

But I'm really not anymore. I mean I was definitely & not gonna pretend like I never have blunder or leave a piece hanging. But it's far more rare & That was more when I first started. I'm far from even a good player, but I still feel like I'm leaps & bounds better than where I was at. When I first started I have little grasp of most of the concepts. I merely knew what the pieces were, how they moved, and few openings. I'm much better now at recognizing forking opportunities, getting pin-downs, etc. I'm far more efficient and better at using pieces in concert with each other and am playing actual chess now compared to checkers. Albeit not great chess clearly. But my thing is, I would go between 240-320 when I first started. Now I feel like a far better player, far as compared to where I was. Yet I'm still bouncing round from 250-350. Also seems like the second I get close to 350, BOOMSTICK, I'll lose 7/10 & 13/20. Most will be brutal losses in nail biters. will manage some draws. Also, when I get close to 350 always seems to be the time I run into someone who has a 180 Ranking and plays like a bot or someone far better than what ranking would suggest. Been playing plenty of people within the 170-400 range and so ya def know what those games look like. Maybe the just opened account, maybe the sandbagging sons of, but they always seem to come to the table when I'm spiraling-only after inching close to improving ranking. Obv I can play better, obv I need to play better. I'm not pretending to be a great player. But just frustrating to know you've improved at chess, and yet you're basically at same level ranking wise. I don't expect chess.com to do anything bout. I'm not even saying my ranking should be higher. I'm fully aware that if I want to have a better ranking, I need to win more. It's more just frustration & confusion on how I can gett better at chess and make real decent improvements and yet be no better off far as ranking goes. The puzzles have helped a lot. And I'm def gonna check that YouTube vid out if it's still there. Thanks for the suggestion even tho it wasnt specifically for me, I'm still taking the suggestion. It's just a rude awakening to know how much you've gotten-"you've being me-and yet IDK IDK to realization of just how far you are to even just a 750 ranking. Forget bout a 1000+ & certainly forget bout Magnus, Bobby F, Kasp, and computers. What's really frustrating is I have friends on here in past, and theyll have a 500-700 rating and when i play em person(cuz I haven't played em on here) I hold my own & win prob 40% of time. But we have battles & sometimes I'll win 3 in row and then lose 6 outta the next 9. So I know I can beat people ranked in the 500-750 range. But for some reason, I just can't seem to do better than .550 ball

Vesper_Leapurrd

@jgkelley35:

Nobody will take the time to read your advice if its this long.

ChessMasteryOfficial

To most of my students, I give this advice (and it's almost all they need):

The biggest reason people struggle in lower-level chess is because of blunders. They make them in almost every game.

A mistake can instantly put you in a bad position, no matter how well you played earlier: if you had great opening knowledge, great positional skills, great endgame skills, whatever; a single mistake can change everything (you lose a piece or get checkmated).

So, how do you avoid blunders? Follow these two simple steps:

1. After your opponent moves, think if it's dangerous. Ask yourself, “What’s his idea?”
2. Before you make your move, think if it's safe. Ask yourself, “What attacking replies can he play?”

If you feel like getting to levels like 1600, 1800, or 2000 in chess is super hard, let's look at it in a different way. Those players you're facing make blunders in nearly every game they play. Beating them isn't so tough if you stop making big mistakes and start using their slip-ups to your advantage.

Again, it does not require you to become a chess nerd or spend all your time on chess. Just doing this one thing can boost your rating by a few hundred points right away.

Lastly, while avoiding blunders is crucial, I also share a few basic principles with my students. These principles help them figure out what to do in each part of the game - the opening, the middlegame, and the endgame. Understanding these simple principles is like having a map for your moves. When you use this knowledge along with being careful about blunders, you're not just getting better at defending. You're also learning a well-rounded approach to chess. Keep in mind, chess is not just about not making mistakes; it's about making smart and planned moves to outsmart your opponent.

clawstaord

Sometimes when I drag my pieces across the board, I'll misclick and make a blunder move, which is probably the main reason I get ~300 elo.