Time manipulation


  • 9 months ago · Quote · #61

    TurboFish

    I understand enough of what the IT guys have explained to realize that their explanation is perfectly consistent with the observed facts.  And the rarety of the complaints of supposed time manipulation doesn't help in making a case for the complaint -- if this problem is serious, why are only a few people mentioning it despite the fact that thousands of games are played daily?

    Another strike against the time manipulation claim is that it is claimed to mainly happen when the opponent is about to lose.  More likely it is happenning at random times, but catches one's attention most vividly when it "causes" you to lose (I put "causes" in quotes because the true fault is a poor connection, not chess.com software, as already explained by others).

    And the critique of the proposed solution was clearly explained.  The "cure" would be worse than the alleged "disease", ironically making it much easier to actually manipulate the server's time clock.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #62

    kleelof

    TurboFish wrote:

    And the rarety of the complaints of supposed time manipulation doesn't help in making a case for the complaint -- 

    It's not a rare thing. It is at least weekly that we hear these guys crying in the forums about 'time cheating' as well as other impossible forms of cheating.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #63

    TurboFish

    kleelof wrote:
    TurboFish wrote:

    And the rarety of the complaints of supposed time manipulation doesn't help in making a case for the complaint -- 

    It's not a rare thing. It is at least weekly that we hear these guys crying in the forums about 'time cheating' as well as other impossible forms of cheating.

    But percentage-wise, relative to the tens of thousands of fast games played weekly, what would it be?  Maybe 0.01%?

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #64

    kleelof

    TurboFish wrote:
    kleelof wrote:
    TurboFish wrote:

    And the rarety of the complaints of supposed time manipulation doesn't help in making a case for the complaint -- 

    It's not a rare thing. It is at least weekly that we hear these guys crying in the forums about 'time cheating' as well as other impossible forms of cheating.

    But percentage-wise, relative to the tens of thousands of fast games played weekly, what would it be?  Maybe 0.01%?

    You were talking about complaints not possible instances of this actually happening.

    I'm sure the incedent rate is much lower than the compalint rate.Laughing

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #65

    kleelof

    DarklingSalmon wrote:
    TurboFish wrote:

    [...]

    Another strike against the time manipulation claim is that it is claimed to mainly happen when the opponent is about to lose.  More likely it is happenning at random times, but catches one's attention most vividly when it "causes" you to lose (I put "causes" in quotes because the true fault is a poor connection, not chess.com software, as already explained by others).

    [...]

    This part is my favorite. When I was a young boy, I thought about a few things very hard and then they happened. These were not things I was at all connected with (like actions in sports games). My working hypothesis became: I could cause things to happen by thinking about them.

    Could you think of a lion with millions of dollars?

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #66

    kleelof

    DarklingSalmon wrote:
    kleelof wrote: [...]

    Could you think of a lion with millions of dollars?

    I'll give it a shot - couldn't hurt.

    Please don't use the word 'shot'. Frown

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #67

    SmyslovFan

    For what it's worth, V3 seems to deal with lag better than V2. I am not sure, but I think they've implemented timestamp/timeseal for V3. That's how other sites regulate lag.

    I'm hoping that the next step will be to keep players with persistently high lag from playing in live tournaments and rated games. It may seem unfair to the player with lag, but it's even more disruptive in a tournament, and their opponents in rated games. Entire tournaments can be held up due to one person having bad lag.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #68

    kleelof

    SmyslovFan wrote:

    I'm hoping that the next step will be to keep players with persistently high lag from playing in live tournaments and rated games. 

    This seems to be a fair expectation. You have to keep the expectations of the competition within a reasonable scope.


Back to Top

Post your reply: