Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Chess for Oldtimers --- Good Idea !

Flattery works for this grande dame! lol

fightingbob wrote:

Two thousand posts for the 2,000 Year Old Man, which I sometimes feel like.  I guess there are a lot of us old farts around, and I'm referring only to the men who post.  The ladies here are strictly grandes dames.

My, what a charmin' thing to say!  

And so true!  We South'n Belles  and British ladies nevah do anythin' that could justify our bein' described by such an indelicate sobriquet as "old farts."  

Occasionally, of course, one of us might, momentarily, "have the vapors."  But no person of refinement would ever describe such a thing as "a fart." 

(No offense to the men described by fightingbob as "old farts."  I'm sure most of you are lovely people.)

Thanks for the new posts.  

fightingbob wrote:

Two thousand posts for the 2,000 Year Old Man, which I sometimes feel like.  I guess there are a lot of us old farts around, and I'm referring only to the men who post.  The ladies here are strictly grandes dames.

---   I like the way you put that Fightingbob, very nice.

On the previous page we covered some nice old films. A few months ago I got a DVD of an old old movie that was released again after many years. This film won the Oscar for best picture back in 1932, it is " Grand Hotel " with the Barrymore brothers, Greta Garbo and a very young Joan Crawford. I had seen short clips from the movie but it was very nice to see the whole picture in one setting. Also included on the disc is a documentary about the making of the film.

So, badenwurtca, did you just "want to be alone" while watching Grand Hotel? grin.png

Though the film had some low key comedic moments, I found it a rather lugubrious story of desperate, unfulfilled lives.  I feel it retained more than a little of the German Weimar original when it was adapted from the 1929 novel Menschen im Hotel by Vicki Baum and the 1930 play of the same name by William A. Drake.  So too the musical soundtrack, which succeeded in creating a melancholy mood beneath the apparent gaiety.

Perhaps others have a different impression of the film.

Heck, fb -- who in their right mind would jump in with an opinion on that film, after the level of erudition you packed into that paragraph!  Seriously, man, we are not worthy!   -- or at least, for sure, I am not worthy!   ;-D

Good to know I'm an old fart, and only money and a fast reward matters to me, obviously, I'm also known to be selling on the spot, and I'm living in something that can be characterized as my own hotel.

Thanks for the posts.

fightingbob wrote:

So, badenwurtca, did you just "want to be alone" while watching Grand Hotel?

Though the film had some low key comedic moments, I found it a rather lugubrious story of desperate, unfulfilled lives.  I feel it retained more than a little of the German Weimar original when it was adapted from the 1929 novel Menschen im Hotel by Vicki Baum and the 1930 play of the same name by William A. Drake.  So too the musical soundtrack, which succeeded in creating a melancholy mood beneath the apparent gaiety.

Perhaps others have a different impression of the film.

---   In my case I feel that a lot of what was captured on film prior to World War II was from the " School Of Over-acting ". Mind you this was understandable as all early films up to the late 1920's were silent-films of course. Film stars had to really show a lot of emotion in the silent-films to carry off a scene. To me the comedies worked the best in the days before sound ( ie among the pre-sound movies that were made ). 

-------------------------  The End !!! ( Of Part One ) ------------------

Due to some goofy activities on the site ( Trolls and/or sock-puppets etc ) I've had to restart this thread as Part Two to have more direct control. Please continue in Part Two, Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the info AlCzervik.

or Join

Online Now