x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Chess rating system

What is the lowest rating here in chess.com and who is that player?

SmyslovFan wrote:

. And Kenneth Regan, a noted statistician and chess professional, has shown there's been no such inflation.

'Haas shown' is  bit too strong opinion here as there a valid counter arguments. It is easy to see that thing like rating floors (fide used to have 2200) will cause inflation due players oscillating aroug 2200. And that is not a matter of opinion, you can compute it. Also quickly improving players cause deflation.Which is combated by different K-values. Hence more players entering the pool could cause deflation 

Overall  I do doubt if anyone can show that ratings are either deflation or inflation exists. But I am pretyy sure it is almost certainly doing one or a another.  Which is not a big deal 

- Drift is slow

- anyway ratings are not meant to be absolute measures anyway

Here's how I think it works. The more games you win at any time constraint, the more solid your rating.

manfred_scriba_ms07 wrote:

Here's how I think it works. The more games you win at any time constraint, the more solid your rating.

The more games you play (and recently) in any rating pool, the more solid your rating. That is the whole idea behind RD values. 

Hi All,

Am I the only one whose rating goes down when I win?

This is really counter intuitive and somewhat demoralizing.

Anyone have an explanation?

Michael056 wrote:

Hi All,

Am I the only one whose rating goes down when I win?

This is really counter intuitive and somewhat demoralizing.

Anyone have an explanation?

It doesn't.  I just looked at your most recent games and your rating has went up for your won games.

My guess is that you are on the app and it is just a display bug, if it actually shows you losing points.

There is a special case where a rating will go down after a win:

When you are just starting out, the rating is provisional. So, let's say your first game was a draw against a 2000 rated player. (For these purposes, I'll ignore the initial rating)

After one game, your rating would be 2000. (2000 + 0 rating differential for the draw)

Then you beat a 1200 rated player. Your performance would be 1600 (1200 +400 rating differential for the win)

Your new rating would be the average of 2000 and 1600, which is 1800. 

This is only true when the rating is provisional. After 20 games (I think), the rating is no longer provisional and it becomes impossible to lose rating points by winning games.

In the late 1970s, the USCF determined that there was a significant amount of deflation in their members's ratings.  I think the reason had something to do with the large amount of lower rated players/novices that began rated play since Fischer, particularly with the dramatic increase in scholastic players.  Before the Fischer boom, a complete novice was very unlikely to even know about the USCF, let alone enter a tournament, so anyone "new" to rated play, had probably been playing for years.

Before 1979, the lowest rating was "1."  A new tournament player could lose all his games to players rated under 350 and end up just above zero.  But then he/she could get some help from a parent, friend, or coach and in his next tournament play at 500 strength, but deflate all his defeated opponents who had just lost to a 1-player,

The USCF put in a floor of 100 and also other adjustments to account for the rapid improvement of brand new players.  They also made and adustment to existing players' ratings.  I went from a 1770 to an 1863 rating overnight.  Not a very satisfying ratings gain.  I was still the same crappy player, and, in fact, I had a harder time than usual in maintaining that rating gain.

that is why bent larsen did not agree to play karpov in 1975

lelel! im not releveant

1508 points sirs!......

SmyslovFan wrote:
    Jackattack57 wrote:

Anyone obsessed with their rating isnt very good

There are plenty of elite GMs who are obsessed with their ratings. 

yeah! i know right?

[COMMENT DELETED]
    mznor wrote:

In playing my first game on Chess.com, I received a rating of 1200, before I played. Why, and how was that arrived at?

Good question.

nope it is not a good question. It has been answered in this thread several times and can be found from site help files. It is what is called 'a stupid question. Please google first'

There is no such thing as a good question.

Well chess players rate themselves as how good you play and how many games you had won
    I'll challenge any of you
or Join

Online Now