Chess Running

Tnk64ChessCourse

Seeing that Chessboxing article gave me an idea. I like the concept of chess boxing, combining physical fitness with mental intelligence. But it encourages violence, which is definitely not good. I propose a different alternative "Chessrunning" which combines physical fitness with mental intelligence, much like Chessboxing, but without the violence. Here are the rules that I suggest:

First there would be a 5 minute round of chess, with time controls of 60 0. Then there would be an 800m running race. If anyone wins by a margin greater than 1 minute then that person would be claimed winner. Then would come another 5 minute round of chess, followed by another 800m race, the running advantage would accumulate and a player could win by gaining a lead greater than 1 minute or checkmating/winning on time against there opponent. 

orangehonda

Except if you were an exceptional runner, you could choose to not make move 1 until you have 5 minutes left.  Because you have 60 minutes that would give you 11 rounds of the 800m race.  So you can see how a good runner could simply chose not to play a move and win anyway.  Of course it wouldn't have to be this obvious.  Also 1 more before mate you could chose to use up your remaining races by waiting 5 minutes etc.

This is one reason why winning the race by a minute shouldn't be enough to declare an outright winner -- I think possibly a time penalty on the chess clock would be best.

Also running doesn't fatigue your chess playing ability -- at least not like getting knocked in the head would.  Physical fatigue would diminish the chess ability very little IMO.

Also boxing may be violent, but it's controlled and consensual.  I don't agree with the violence being "definitely not good" as you describe it.

Tnk64ChessCourse
orangehonda wrote:

Except if you were an exceptional runner, you could choose to not make move 1 until you have 5 minutes left.  Because you have 60 minutes that would give you 11 rounds of the 800m race.  So you can see how a good runner could simply chose not to play a move and win anyway.  Of course it wouldn't have to be this obvious.  Also 1 more before mate you could chose to use up your remaining races by waiting 5 minutes etc.

This is one reason why winning the race by a minute shouldn't be enough to declare an outright winner -- I think possibly a time penalty on the chess clock would be best.

Also running doesn't fatigue your chess playing ability -- at least not like getting knocked in the head would.  Physical fatigue would diminish the chess ability very little IMO.

Also boxing may be violent, but it's controlled and consensual.  I don't agree with the violence being "definitely not good" as you describe it.


Your initial point is a good one, perhaps an umpire as is your solution. I think that an ideal time penalty would be 4 minutes, in order to prevent stalling. Your point about running not ruining chess ability is true, if anything it activates your mind. But I think that this is a good thing, not a bad one, as the chess games would be of a higher standard. I also disagree with your last point, boxing can cause brain damage and is not such a good example for children. It also means that boxers are more likely to underestimate the seriousness of violence on the street. Anyway, thanks for the comment.

artfizz

Turing came up with a similar idea about 70 years ago.

"Great minds think alike."

Tnk64ChessCourse
artfizz wrote:

That's very interesting. However the article points out a huge flaw in the game, which does not exist in my version. Not to mention that how quickly you ran around the house would be irrelevant, defeating the whole purpose of the game.

tenache89

 I thought up of a similar game: you play chess with, say, 30 minutes time control, but the clock is 20 m away, so you would have to run 40 m for each move. If the game lasts 40 moves, then that would be 800 m total running. You could move the clocks as far apart as you want, and experiment with time control, of course. 

I would add a rather large increment so as not to ruin the chess (30 seconds, maybe?) 

artfizz
tenache89 wrote:

 I thought up of a similar game: you play chess with, say, 30 minutes time control, but the clock is 20 m away, so you would have to run 40 m for each move. If the game lasts 40 moves, then that would be 800 m total running. You could move the clocks as far apart as you want, and experiment with time control, of course. 

I would add a rather large increment so as not to ruin the chess (30 seconds, maybe?) 

Are we talking metres or miles?

Ziggy_Zugzwang

How about a chess clock,board and pieces - possibly magnetic - pulled along on a trailer by a motorcycle of car at about 10 miles an hour.Two runners have to keep up with the vehicle to make their moves, with say 30 minutes on the clock each ? Or am I just being silly ?

piemaster56
I think I might be installed by all people who are only on chess dot com 😥😪😢
artfizz
Ziggy_Zugzwang wrote:

How about a chess clock,board and pieces - possibly magnetic - pulled along on a trailer by a motorcycle of car at about 10 miles an hour.Two runners have to keep up with the vehicle to make their moves, with say 30 minutes on the clock each ? Or am I just being silly ?

It will probably need a police escort to avoid becoming a traffic hazzard - especially if the vehicle confines itself to a single gyratory.

Iron-Patzer
artfizz wrote:
Ziggy_Zugzwang wrote:

How about a chess clock,board and pieces - possibly magnetic - pulled along on a trailer by a motorcycle of car at about 10 miles an hour.Two runners have to keep up with the vehicle to make their moves, with say 30 minutes on the clock each ? Or am I just being silly ?

It will probably need a police escort to avoid becoming a traffic hazzard - especially if the vehicle confines itself to a single gyratory.

Have them run around a running track and the traffic problem is solved.  A track would add another element:  you lose the match if you get lapped by the chess board, same as losing on time.  Although 10 mph is a 6 min/mi pace, which is rather fast.  That would finish a 5K in a little over 18 minutes.  Not a pace that I think many chess players could maintain, especially for an hour-long game.  Perhaps there could be a sliding scale depending on the time control, with a slower pace for longer games.

tenache89
artfizz escribió:
tenache89 wrote:

 I thought up of a similar game: you play chess with, say, 30 minutes time control, but the clock is 20 m away, so you would have to run 40 m for each move. If the game lasts 40 moves, then that would be 800 m total running. You could move the clocks as far apart as you want, and experiment with time control, of course. 

I would add a rather large increment so as not to ruin the chess (30 seconds, maybe?) 

Are we talking metres or miles?

meters! (yards)

tenache89

 And I have to improve my math. For a 40 move game, each player would run 1600 meters (one mile). Maybe the clock should just be 10 meters away. 

iRio

In 80' was popular chess and table-tennis tournament in Breclav (Czechia). Both tournament played with swiss system and final result was sum of points from both tournament. 

choochoo17

Hi, I just read the posts here. I think they should do 800m race, first person who gets there get to pick colors (white obviously), make the first move and start the clock. You get time advantage from running, and win by checkmate. After checkmate go running again, and who gets there first gets white... same thing they did first time. And again, so that would be 3 times in total. Best of 3 wins.

iRio

I really want create this type of tournament. I have this idea: 

  • 7 round per day
  • Time for game: 15 min / game
  • Game start with run (1 mile or 1500m) - during running both clock are on.
  • Game is played with rest of time

    On my chess clock is not possible run both clock at once. But it is not so big problem. When first player is already behind chessboard, he setup properly both clocks.

Maybe there are more suitable different times. For example: 5 round, 25 min/game, 3km run in every round.

iRio

My old friend (chess player and marathon runner) organises similar tournament on Jun 23th in my city. 5 round (15 min / game). On start of every round is run around lake (1500m). First player play first move and start chess clock.

iRio

First tournament was finished. 5 rounds, 10 min pre game, 1500m run. 34 players (from rating 1000 to GM). Results: http://chess-results.com/tnr344107.aspx?lan=25&art=1

iRio

https://youtu.be/mYKxdfIuYk8