Forums

Different levels of skill in Blitz ratings 800-2000+

Sort:
jambyvedar

I noticed that once the OP's blitz rating go back down and stabilize at what it should be, after playing many games, he is no longer active at posting blitz topics.

AIM-AceMove
jambyvedar wrote:

I noticed that once the OP's blitz rating go back down and stabilize at what it should be, after playing many games, he is no longer active at posting blitz topics.

I hit 2100+ in June and even destroyed FM in 3+2 with black! After that i really lost interest in 3+0 pool, is just like bullet.  I registered for major OTB blitz tournament. I started to practice with 3+2 and 5+2 etc blitz using my real board. I knew i will drop rating and lose on time, but i don't care about online ratings anymore. I really had urgent need to practice for the OTB tour.  More over 3+2 pool is far, far dificult than 3+0 , players are much stronger and lower rated and there are less players there. Not to mention there are way more cheaters. I probably lost couple dozens of games due to cheaters - some got caught some not.  So 2100 3+0 is more like 1800 or so in 3+2. I lost dozens of dozens of games just by time, because playing 3+2 online using REAL OTB BOARD is dificult as hell. You see opponent move on screen then you move the piece OTB and then start to think looking at the real board which is more dificult than looking at flat 2d screen where with one look you see everything. Not only that but i used blindfold pieces so not to get distracted. But that was exactly what i need for practice. I can go back to 2100 in no time playing 3+0 again using laptop. Also i lost many games playing on phone, even write that on my about page so trolls like you to see it.  Not to mention the bad 4G connection i had and phone freezing time to time lost many games like that.

Here is my recent game vs FM. Enjoy how i neutralized his attack and then finished him off.

JonHutch

These are interesting interpretations of ratings. 

DjonniDerevnja

AIM-Ace Move has interesting views. I can speak from the 1400 perspective, the unstable 1400. I suffer from being terrible slow, losing too often on time, and also blundering, sometimes in timepanic, sometimes not seeing the whole situation. Its a huge difference how clear the brain is in exactly when the game is played. A reason for blundering is also playing more sharp than sound. This sharp play gives fantastic victories sometimes, but is also very vulnerable.  Sharp is fun, and the victories are rewarding, like this one.  https://www.chess.com/analysis-board-editor?tab=computerAnalysis&flip=true    When evaluating if I should go for a risky attack, maybe risking an enemy knight or queen crushing into my backyard there is one obvious answer: "Try it, and we will see if it can work!"  I probably risks more on the internet than I do over the board, much because I use the internet as a trainingplayground, trying to get stronger for otb-tournaments. A teacher in my club told us to play both sharp games and safe games. Sharp games also means getting into deep trouble, which is good for learning defence and counterattacking. PS: I dont know if the link to analyze for my last game works, so here is the same game from archive: https://www.chess.com/live/game/2225765257

About comparing blitzrating here with Fiderating longchess. My friends in my club at roughly my level often has almost the same blitz and Fiderating. The onlinerating for my clubmates  from Nordstrand around 1400Fide and 1400blitz/chess.com is usually between 1600 and 1900.

jambyvedar

@op i do agree that 3+2 or 5+2 is harder than 3+0. I can reached  2000 blitz  rating here with 3+0, but my wifi and slow connection does not allow me(i always got disconnected). For example i can get 8 straight wins only to have many loses later on because of disconnections. I also like to add that rapid format is even harder than 3+2 or 5+2.

DjonniDerevnja
NMinSixMonths wrote:
DjonniDerevnja wrote:
universityofpawns wrote:

bullet is basically time them out baby chess,,,,so what kind of skill does that take???? Ability to blindly shuffle pieces around the board????

The best bulletplayers in the world are probably Magnus Carlsen and Hikaru Nakamura. They are so incredibly fast that they can play high level chess in close to no time. They play intuitive and has almost no time for calculation and checking if their ideas are correct, but they are.correct.  There are other good experienced bulletplayers too. Sven Wisløff Nilssen is good, and one of the reason is hard competing in correspondence chess, back in the old days, when it went by mail. He almost became correspondence IM. The guys that really have digged deep into chess have worked the intuition into the blood, and their reflexes, and have the skills to blow out moves at a super speed. they dont have to think much. They know where to move . I am bad at bullet. I dont instantly know where to move, so I have to think. Therefore i often lose on time.

Have you seen Andrew Tang? He is a decent IM that is a beast in bullet, can compete with Naka in 1 min chess but in blitz or classical he would get eaten alive... it shows how poor the play in bullet chess is when an IM can compete with a top 10 player in the world.

Tang is one of the fast young prodigies, just like IM Johan Sebastian Christiansen, and they are not easy to beat in longhcess by top ten masters. They are only teenagers, but have many years, maybe more than a decade, of longchesscompetition and hard good training. They will become GMs soon, and very strong ones if they dont get pulled away from chess because of other professions or studies eating their time.  One of the classmates of Johan Sebastian , FM Johannes Haug, did play draw against GM Baadur Jobava this week (longchess, Xtracon-tournament, Denmark). Those masterteenagers are very hard to beat, regardless of rating and strenght. 

DjonniDerevnja

For us at 1400 strenght of the day can vary a lot. Yesterday I ate 100 points and visited the 1500, but tonight and this morning I played them all into to dustbin. I wasnt fast enough. I play 5-5 and the margins are minimal. When winning i often have less than 30 seconds left, and when I lose, the time runs out or I do timepanic blunders, if I not am outplayed in normal fashion. Its also often about the openings. Sometimes I get them right, sometimes not.

Noam_Vitenberg

My fide rating is 1989. My blitz rating on chess.com is hovering between 1820 and 1860. I only play 5 5 though. 

dipakb

Which books I can read for improving chess skills

ChessFreak2020

rubbish

ATV-STEVE

From my experience the OP is accurate for the levels I play at.

There is a big discrepancy between bullet,blitz and other time controls

Bullet ratings  are way too low. If I drop below 1300 its a devil of a job to get back.

I find the 1300-1500 more comfortable than 1190-1300 range.

Stevenqazwsx
It is not like we killed the queen in 6 moveswink.png!

GGuessMyName

I found 1050 - 1150 to be the hardest rating range to surpass, I lost a lot of games there.