Disconnects vs resigning - what's the point?

IMBacon
[COMMENT DELETED]
Techvette

Seriously going to start a political debate re: gun control?

redacted

It's pretty easy to tell if someone in the middle of San Francisco has a bad connection, and is disconnecting unintentionally. The site has the data to analyze this pretty accurately; it's a solved problem in other domains.

Penalizing people won't make them change, but flagging their account can help stop wasting my time.

 

As far as your repeated "precious points" remark goes: I'm glad you don't care about your rating. I like mine, crappy though as it may be. Don't be so judgemental.

MickinMD

I just feel sorry for people who can't simply resign because there's often a psychological problem going on.

One thing I noticed as a high school sports coach and chess coach is that because chess is a one-person-per-side game it sometimes attracts people who aren't good as social interaction and sometimes attracts people who find failure to be a tragedy instead of an occasional part of everyday life.  You see this much less in sports where team interaction is vital and is one of the many reasons to encourage Bughouse chess as part of training to play in tournaments: recognizing which pieces work best in various combinations is the other reason.

I've had to work on the attitudes and behavior of several teenagers who just couldn't handle losing - especially when they first joined our chess club which included a very strong chess team, typically ranked in the state's top 5.

I think that's at least part of what you're seeing in players who let the clock run out or disconnect.

 

IMBacon
[COMMENT DELETED]
Techvette

@MickinMD First of all, thank you for the eloquent, considered response.

 

"a psychological problem going on."?

Care to elaborate? Given the earlier comment about "mental problems"...

My oldest (9) is autistic, and we have a number of other "mental" issues in the family. No one in the group that I'm thinking of acts this way.

Also, being a poor loser isn't a psychological problem. It is, in my opinion, a function of prior experience and (too extreme, or utter lack of) consequences. Someone who is never allowed to lose at home may be miffed the first time it happens elsewhere, but that doesn't necessarily indicate any sort of clinical disorder. (Though, admittedly, I am not an MD.)

 

My experience with sports was quite the opposite: parents screaming at coaches, kids getting 'A's in Calculus who couldn't spell "derivative" (literally). I don't fault *sports activities*, but too many parents make that the end-all and be-all of their kid's school experience at the expense of actually learning anything.

 

This has gotten off topic. Apologies.

Techvette

@IMBacon

 

Thanks - seems like you've thought about this a bit. I appreciate the responses.

IMBacon
Techvette wrote:

@IMBacon

 

Thanks - seems like you've thought about this a bit. I appreciate the responses.

I have thought about it only because it is brought up repeatedly :-)

arceus2010

yea but i have done some analysis

 

FBloggs
Techvette wrote:

There are quite a few threads about resignation etiquette here, but I haven't yet found a reasonable answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything:

 

What on earth is the point in just disconnecting, or stalling, vs resigning when the game is over?

I have a beer fridge in my office, and plenty of other things to work on. I once finished making a picture frame - triple compound miters are a b*tch - while waiting on a 10 minute game to time out.

 

My question is: WHY do people do this? Assuming they don't care that it's severely rude - time is the only resource we can't reclaim - what is the point? It's not like they lose fewer points that way.

 

If I get down to a completely indefensible position, I'll resign to save us both time so that we can get onto another game, or analysis. If I think I can get a draw, I keep playing until it happens or becomes clear that it's not going to. I NEVER "suffer intermittent Internet connectivity" or just walk away and leave the other person stewing. (Well, almost never: if the other player is being incredibly abusive in chat, I might just let them stew a bit.)

 

Thoughts?

It's an immature fool's way of getting even with you for having the temerity to beat him.

 

But your post raises another question. Why do people allow chat in live games ― especially speed games ― against non-friends? Even if you never get paired with a moron who uses chat as an opportunity to insult or distract you, what do you talk about during the game? I don't play a game to have a conversation. I allow chat in daily games (unless my opponent gives me a reason to disable it) because I have more than enough time to move and opponents are less likely to act like idiots if the game may last for weeks or even months.  

forked_again
Techvette wrote:

@MickinMD First of all, thank you for the eloquent, considered response.

 

"a psychological problem going on."?

Care to elaborate? Given the earlier comment about "mental problems"...

My oldest (9) is autistic, and we have a number of other "mental" issues in the family. No one in the group that I'm thinking of acts this way.

Also, being a poor loser isn't a psychological problem. It is, in my opinion, a function of prior experience and (too extreme, or utter lack of) consequences. Someone who is never allowed to lose at home may be miffed the first time it happens elsewhere, but that doesn't necessarily indicate any sort of clinical disorder. (Though, admittedly, I am not an MD.)

 

My experience with sports was quite the opposite: parents screaming at coaches, kids getting 'A's in Calculus who couldn't spell "derivative" (literally). I don't fault *sports activities*, but too many parents make that the end-all and be-all of their kid's school experience at the expense of actually learning anything.

 

This has gotten off topic. Apologies.

Hey Techvette,

Sorry about your kid's autism.  I also have a handicapped child.  But I don't think you should take so seriously use of the phrase "mental problems" or "psychological problems" to describe people who lack basic interpersonal skills, are rude, passive aggressive, overly aggressive, or in other ways anti-social.  Its not meant to be a clinical diagnosis or a comparison with people who do have clinically defined illnesses.  There is something wrong with the way these type of people think (at least in the opinion of the user of the phrase).  So, I see it as just a general observation, not to be taken as a comparison or any disrespect to people with other issues not related to the type of behavior I listed above.  

LouStule
Dear Techvette,
Don’t forget... you can always be the one to resign. Sure, you lose first but who cares? If you are so concerned about wasting time, just resign yourself and pretend you really did win like you knew you would.
forked_again

I would never resign a winning position, just to save a few minutes and give some dickbag the satisfaction of knowing his dickbag plan worked the way he wanted it to.  

FBloggs
forked_again wrote:

I would never resign a winning position, just to save a few minutes and give some dickbag the satisfaction of knowing his dickbag plan worked the way he wanted it to.  

Right!

unpedoviejo

forked_again,

You are correct that allowing players to win through stalling is just encouraging bad behavior.  As for my socialist comment,  We both live in the US and you must see the political divisions getting wider and uglier.  Conservatives tend to emphasize the depravity of man, while Liberals are sometimes to optimistic about our better natures.  As time has worn on we have developed large numbers of people who brazenly blame the poor for their plight, while others deny the need for more personal responsibility.  Years ago we had a strong middle class and most of society cared about everyone else, but now it is just a war. sad.png

forked_again
unpedoviejo wrote:

forked_again,

You are correct that allowing players to win through stalling is just encouraging bad behavior.  As for my socialist comment,  We both live in the US and you must see the political divisions getting wider and uglier.  Conservatives tend to emphasize the depravity of man, while Liberals are sometimes to optimistic about our better natures.  As time has worn on we have developed large numbers of people who brazenly blame the poor for their plight, while others deny the need for more personal responsibility.  Years ago we had a strong middle class and most of society cared about everyone else, but now it is just a war. 

Good reply!

Moth_Without_Wings

People have endlessly been doing this to me. It’s so annoying and unprofessional.

BilboBilly
It's 42 Techvetta.
And you're right, I'm new here and already had 2 resign when the no return point is hit. I got to point in one game myself where I would have knocked my king over so I messaged the other player in chat. Saying that, but I didn't want to seem rude like a sore loser ???
They never replied and were happy to hunt me down. Probably for practice.
Techvette
forked_again wrote

Hey Techvette,

Sorry about your kid's autism.  I also have a handicapped child.  But I don't think you should take so seriously use of the phrase "mental problems" or "psychological problems" to describe people who lack basic interpersonal skills, are rude, passive aggressive, overly aggressive, or in other ways anti-social.  Its not meant to be a clinical diagnosis or a comparison with people who do have clinically defined illnesses.  There is something wrong with the way these type of people think (at least in the opinion of the user of the phrase).  So, I see it as just a general observation, not to be taken as a comparison or any disrespect to people with other issues not related to the type of behavior I listed above.  

 

Well said. I am perhaps a bit too sensitive on the topic. I would argue that there are better ways to express that idea - you did a great job - BUT that doesn't necessarily mean that the speaker is mean-spirited or prejudiced.

My bad. happy.png

 

So, in closing to this tangent:

Resigning when you're losing to save time: just fine.

Disconnecting when you're losing: sort of a d**k move

Disconnecting, then reconnecting just before the timeout: manipulative and, I'd argue, cheating. This is a game, not a sport: it should be about playing and learning, not psychological warfare.

 

But, hey: I'm just having fun with my 100 point oscillation with a median of 800 - nowhere near the other respondents on this thread. I probably shouldn't complain. Nevertheless, I enjoy the game, and the vast majority of my opponents have been gracious and, on many an occasion, very helpful with suggestions on what I could have done differently.

 

Y'all have a great day / night.