Forums

Do you end calculation with your move or the oppenents move?

Sort:
WinchenzoMagnifico

So far when I try to analyze candidate moves I try to calculate maybe 2-3 full moves ahead (I know thats not much, but i'm trying to get better at it) and then try to envision the resulting positions, and choose the one i think has the better position for me--- but should I envision the resulting position with my oppenent to move or me to move? I feel this is an interesting topic since if you envision the position with a good opponent move last you might not play that move--- but if you had looked one move deeper you might have seen your move after that would refute his "good" move... but then if you stop there, you might miss a counter refutation by your opponent!! anyone get what im trying to say here

pdve

whichever move can lead to an evaluation. for example, if there is checkmate by you you can end the calculation there, if it is checkmate by the opponent, then end it there. or else, suppose you are winning material then the calcuation can be terminated unless there is a checkmate by the opponent. and vice versa.

WinchenzoMagnifico

i get the checkmate... but i dont think you can apply the same to material--- cuz your oppenent might be able to use a tactic to get the material back on the next move or soon after..... or get a very strong attack that eventually leads to material losses or mate---- this happens to me (on the receiving end) a lot! :(

papagar

I guess the further, the better.

gaereagdag

I would tend to end the calculation with the opponent to move. I like to finish with a position that I am comfortable with whatever the opponent chooses to do. But there is no right or wrong here.

pdve

you have to end the calculation somewhere so wherever the evaluation becomes clear

SmyslovFan

There was a piece of advice I once read, perhaps by Lasker, or it may have been later:

Always analyse one move beyond the combination. 

Another way of phrasing that: Look for the sting in the scorpion's tale (I think I first saw that formulation of the idea in My 60 Memorable Games).

And a third piece of advice:

At the end of the combination, look around and see if you actually like the position on the board! It's amazing how often a combination wins material but leaves you with a busted position.

WinchenzoMagnifico

that sounds like good advice, i'll listen to that