Forums

Garry Kasparov's performance ELO in comeback tournament vs. Bobby Fischer in 1992

Sort:
SillyPants71

Can anyone here explain to me how one would calculate Gary Kasparov's performance ELO rating in the recent tournament he participated in?  I was talking to someone and they told me they calculated it to be 2730, which would put him at 29th in the world.  We didn't have pencil and paper though, so he couldn't show me the formula.  I know this sounds dumb, except I'm having trouble finding a link to a site that shows the formula.

He said Bobby Fischer's was 2612 in 1992 against Boris Spassky, except I am unable to determine where that would have put Fischer in 1992.  The 10th highest rated player in 1992 had an ELO rating of 2655, as opposed to the 10th rated player today being 2783.

Fischer had been out 20 years, Kasparov 12.  Kasparov has also played in several tournaments during those 12 years and been involved in the sport at least more than Fischer was.  Fischer was 49 and Kasparov is 54.  Fischer's comeback was against one player and Kasparov's was against many different opponents.  Can any valid comparisons be drawn between the performance of those two great players in their "return" to chess?

Crazychessplaya

Blitz and rapid performances shouldn't be compared to regular chess, IMO. Fischer played classical time controls in 1992.

Brontide88

You can't really compare Elo ratings for classical, rapid, & blitz - which is why they keep three separate lists. You can't compare classical games with rapid/blitz games 25 years later, either. You can compare the relative strength of opposition, however.

As a longtime Spassky fan, he was a shadow of himself by 1992. He had almost completely retired & was no longer competitive at high levels. He was ranked 96th in the world when the match began.

In contrast, Kasparov played a field including many of the world's top players. The lowest ranked entrant, Navara, is #33 in the world, the others all in the top 23.

Remember there was nothing stopping Fischer from playing the top players from 1972 - 1992. Even if you agree with his resigning the title, he could have faced Karpov, Korchnoi, Kasparov, Yusopov, Gelfand, Ivanchuk, Anand, etc in tournaments. He could have demanded his conditions & record appearance fees & would have got both. He chose not to.

SillyPants71

Kasparov was every bit as dominating in speed chess in his prime as he was in standard time controls, possibly even more so.  Both he and his opponents were playing speed chess.  

It's true that Fischer's opponent was rated 95th and Kasparov's were mostly top 20 rated players, except Fischer also had 10 wins to 5 losses, whereas Kasparov had 4 wins to 7 losses.  Kasparov had considerably higher rated opponents,  except performed considerably worse.  Again, both players were out of their primes and rusty.  Even at that stage in their lives, they both likely could have regained some of their form.  I personally believe both could have been top 10 players in their 50s if they had wanted to.

As far as Fischer's opponent no longer being near the absolute top of the ratings and his "only" scoring 10 wins to 5 against the number 95 rated player, the current world's  number 3, Caruana just scored 19-8 against the number 100 rated player Hou Yifan.  He didn't shut her out and win every single game.

fiolmattias
SillyPants71 wrote:

As far as Fischer's opponent no longer being near the absolute top of the ratings and his "only" scoring 10 wins to 5 against the number 95 rated player, the current world's  number 3, Caruana just scored 19-8 against the number 100 rated player Hou Yifan.  He didn't shut her out and win every single game.

Caruana is rated #32 and Hou Yifan #85 in blitz.

Yifan's PR was 2579 (if we have their FIDE blitz as base for calculation), Kasparovs PR was 2769 (for both blitz and rapid), and if Fisher would be playing the #95 in blitz with 10-5 result his PR would be 2753.

When Kasparov played Short in 2015 his PR was over 2800 over 10 games.

Ankalyov
JamesColeman wrote:

You can look at the FIDE rating tables (easily found on Google)

For example you could then find Kasparovs average opponent elo, work out his average score per game and the rating tables would tell you what rating of player would be expected to score that.

I think it's very hard to compare the two scenarios though as there's been a lot of rating inflation in the last 25 years, and the overall standard of play now is so much higher.

100% fact. 

Both Elo inflation and non-objective meters, prevent us from making such comparisons.

On the other hand, we have the Hou Yifan vs. Caruana; In absolute terms, Caruana suffers a mismatch with his level of strength. His strength is superior to that demonstrated in blitz, possessing a depth of calculation, strategy and spatial vision much more superior than Yifan; apart from the different time variants, which are not frequent in competitive chess.

socratead

Kasparov, 20 years after he retired from classical chess will play a match with Karpov and prove that he is still the World Champion in 2024. The question is who will put 5 million dollars on the table. Maybe North Korea?  ...

Damonevic-Smithlov

Plus Kaspy had computers to play on so he never was completely out of chess. Also, didnt he work woth both Carlsen and Nakamura during this time? So clearly he wasn't really out of chess.