Forums

Horrible losing streak

Sort:
Queen_of_Knight

I've lost like, 9 games in a row these last couple of weeks, which is weird because according to tactics trainer, I'm better than ever before (broke 1600 a couple of days ago). 

So why isn't this apparent new chess knowledge that I've gained reflected in any of my recent games?  Is tactics trainer really that accurate in its rating assignment to most puzzles?  Have I truly improved or does my losing streak clearly dictate otherwise?

We've had the TT discussion before, so what are your losing streaks?  I need to wallow with someone in this misery. Cry

Daryl_F

I haven't used TT much lately, but I too have been losing as well.  Recently I have fallen from 1700 to 1654 with 3 straight losses.  Who can say - chess players certainly have slumps just like baseball players, Renata.

knightwriter2000

Queen of Knights, I want to say that my sympathy goes out to you. I have been in this same situation where I feel my studying is going well, but then my games become disasters. Here is one view point that I have taken recently and it has worked well for me.

Stop studying for a little while and just play games. The reason I say this is because, when I stopped studying, due to my mind feeling like mush and not able to compose a single unified strategy, it was because I've been pushing myself to hard and studying to many things.

When I stopped this studying for a period and just let myself play games, I actually did better. I've been toying with a notion that one needs to studying for a while and then just play games for awhile to allow the information taken in to transpose to the board. (I hope this makes sense.)

Essentially, I took in a lot of instruction but needed time to apply that knowledge before I could take on more information. Now please know that this is just something that has worked for me and I don't know that this is a universal theory or not, but I thought I would throw my hat in the ring to give you a hand.

Hope it helps, and good luck to you!

Queen_of_Knight

Well, thank you kindly for that thorough reply, FirebrandX, and for doing some research into my games, AND for the obviously excellent advice. Laughing

I'll definitely keep your words in mind for future games.

Queen_of_Knight

Knightwriter, Thanks, that also was good advice...I'll try it out.

Upgrayedd

Don't feel bad. I'm currently rocking 815, and probably haven't hit bottom yet. Love the game though I do, after decades it's proved nearly impossible to play at even the lowest baseline of semi-competence. I'm desperately hoping merely to win a game sometime this year; in light of that factoid, your own losing streak is likely to prove blessedly temporary. Remember ... It can always be worse! Best of luck.

Radical_Drift

It happens. One time, my rating dropped from 1399 to 1250. I just kept fighting, and it's now 1380. Hoping to break 1400 soon, but mostly, I suppose I'll say, "Enjoy the game! Just relax, focus, and the wins will come eventually! Best wishes!"

Lawdoginator

Sorry to hear about that losing streak. 

varelse1

Oh sorry.

I saw the title of this thread, thought the OP posting my biography or something.Tongue Out

somaja
Queen_of_night .... things are simple ...Nothing occurs in a straight line ....so also in chess ... a time when you're up, when down, then you really stabilize your level ...
x-5058622868

Chess isn't 90% tactics like some people believe. You need the strategy and positional play for the tactics to come alive. 

Your TT rating might be close to accurate, but if the rest of your chess skills are well below that, your actual rating will be lower.

jakefusaro

Stop playing for a day, relax and remember to have fun. It always gets me out of any losing streak.

Scottrf

Sometimes you're just bored of it and start making lazy moves, done that a few times recently.

And with tactics trainer I feel it rewards you too much for instinct and doesn't punish enough for wrong answers, whereas in a game a bad move is normally punished a lot more severely than taking a bit of extra time.

Coach-Bill

Losing streaks are normal, part of chess and no need to worry. My 11th video lesson covers this topic, they whys and how to get out of one. It's on my YouTube channel and somewhere in these forums, not yet added to the 10 on my website. See my profile for my site.

Queen_of_Knight

Scott, I agree it's laziness at times, or rather, trying new things, but if it aint broke...

thanks again for the replies and reassurance.

lavin_arrt

meh.png

little_guinea_pig

I have the same problem. My other account(previously rated 1500) has been in a downward spiral for 3 days. I've lost 15 games in a row, and they were not even close(losing within 15 moves on almost all of them). I couldn't even muster a draw when my opponent blundered a queen + rook! I even lost(on unrated games) 3 games out of 3 against a 400 player...… sad.png