Forums

How can a 1 minute game last for 3 minutes???

Sort:
waffllemaster
StrategicPlay wrote:

I recently played a 1|0 Bullet game (less than five minutes back) and just simply glanced on the time on my laptop. It said 3:43 PM (and I know it just went to 3:43, not that I saw it on the 59th second). I sent out a seek, it got accepted within less than 7 seconds and we started. At the end, I won on time and I had about 5 seconds left on the clock. But when I instantly looked back at my laptop time, it said 3:46 PM. 

So how is this possible? Is this some kind of bug? A time-delay bug? 

Yeah.  blitz and bullet games on chess.com always had a slower feel to me than when I used to play on other sites.  There is definitely lag between moves that's enough to notice drag the game out.

General_Mysers

I grew quite tired of people here saying "Oh, maybe you read the time wrong", so to back up ol' StrategicPlay here, I went onto Live Chess, started a 1 min game as white, made my first move and started timing with my stopwatch as soon as I let go of the mouse button.  After I lost on time, and my opponent still had no more than 5 seconds to go, I quickly stopped timing.  The time reads - 2:32mins.

StrategicPlay

That was what happened with me too. 

kgwkyle

I dont think it matters unless you have signed up for a tournament which was starting in 3 minutes.

slide_checkmate

lol.

StrategicPlay

LOL

You're right there, kyle.

wyh2013

SP the first move lags...For example,if you waited 20sec to make you first move the opponent does the same...it would be possible to be a 3 min game since 1+1=2 + delayed movement

StrategicPlay
Estragon wrote:
How can a 1 minute game last for 3 minutes???

Ever listen to a Joe Biden speech?

Nope, never heard of him.

But I guess he doesn't play chess. Tongue Out

GM__Sanand

It's surely LAG

RonaldJosephCote

It was played in  S..L..O...W....... M...O..T...I...O....N.......

GuessWhoIAm

You used 55 seconds of your time (since you had 5 seconds left) and your opponent used a full minute. So that's a minute 55 seconds. You also noted that you found an opponent 7 seconds later, which added up will be 2 minutes 2 seconds. Another thing about live chess is that the clock starts ticking after each player made their first move, so that takes up less than 5 seconds too.

So, I'm suspecting that your laptop time when you looked at it for the first time is 3:43:50+. So it would logical if the time at the end is 3:46:00+