Forums

How do you move to strategy from tactics?

Sort:
SquareDealer

hleuk2 said: "It is impossibloe to have a strategy in advance as you dont know what enemy will do."

It is said that no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. That said, it is not only possible to have strategy in advance, but essential. Advance strategy before first exposure to the opponent could consist of knowing what stratgies are available. Are you playing white or black? What openings are you familiar with?  What do you know of your opponent? These are questions of a strategic, albeit very general nature. After that, it is likely that within the first few moves you will (should) have a good idea of the possible strategic choices available that are consistent with the board position.

hleuk2's statement is more true of tactics than strategy.

hleuk2

It didn't help Warsaw:)

SquareDealer said  battleplans dont survive enemy contact.

That may be different from stategfy, with tactics the small rueses you can prepare for like 4 move checkmate etc

they say 5 hours studying nopening; 5 hours studying endames, and 5 hours midgames will give you a county level rating!

the theories of pawn push, encircilemnt, aligning against the king and you open with po0ntenially 9 queens aer great but how do you stop the evil man you're playing makinjg the wrong move?

SquareDealer

@ hleuk2: Absent your playing a forcing move first, you can assume your opponent will try to make the his best move. Your task is to antipate his best moves, and play in such a way as to minimize the "evil" effects of those possiblilities while at the same time enhancing as best you can you own cause.

hleuk2

agreed, but people are various. the'r own best move may be bizare to you and would not rate a move mathematically. how do you know the mond of your opponent?

SquareDealer

Well, you needn't know his mind, you look at the board. Even though I understand former world champion E. Lasker espoused the idea that knowlege of your opponent should be a determinant of your play, still, it is not that your opponent THINKS a move is a good one that makes it a good one. It is either good or not good, despite what he thinks (always understanding that moves are usually not made in isolation, but as part of a set of consistent moves which together work towards a goal). So if your opponent makes a bizarre move, that is to say, one that appears to you to be NOT GOOD, then take advantage of the opportunity to punish it or continue to make your own GOOD MOVES.

Of course if your opponent is correct in his choice of moves, and you are mistaken in thinking it's bad or bizarre, then your opponent has out-thought you and your game will suffer for it. This is chess.

hleuk2

>>>>I understand former world champion E. Lasker espoused the idea that knowlege of your opponent should be a determinant of your play, still, it is not that your opponent THINKS a move is a good one that makes it a good one. It is either good or not good,<<<<<

i cant agree squaredealer

What is good or bad assumes each move  has a mathematical weighting, but that would only be true for computers of equal softwares.

If a player is likely to take you can feed him pieces to create a position, and he will take them.

All warefare is based on deception, and many times i've been descended upon from out of the skies where I saw no threat coming.

Do you know a good online source form Morphy's tactics/strategy?

SquareDealer

Well, SquareDealer is wrong as often as anyone else, so feel free to disagree. Even so, with respect to your statement about all warfare being based on deception, I'd like to make this observation: there are many situations that do not lend themselves to deception. It's possible that all the alternatives will be simple and clear. Naturally if you can deceive your opponent, all well and good. But frequently other considerations are more important, for instance, arriving at the key objective firstest with the mostest (power). Contriving to achieve that is the basis of many strategies.

No, I don't know any sources for Morphy's tactics/strategy. Shouldn't be hard to find some. You could start here at Chess.com or just put what you're looking for in a search engine (best I can tell you).

hleuk2

You can have the endgame in mind as yopu opn and your moves are tests of the enemy's psychology. I agree many sequences dont lend themsleves to deception.

But there is difference between tactics and strategy.

Suicide bombers in Britain are set to begin a three-day strike next Monday in a dispute over the number of virgins they are entitled to

AlCzervik
hleuk2 wrote:

You can have the endgame in mind as yopu opn and your moves are tests of the enemy's psychology. 

Yeah, that works.

armhow

As a marketeer, tactics are just a component of strategy.  A strategy is the main line of direction where one has to put actionable programs to achieve a specific goal.  Tactics are a variation of actions whether direct or indirect but will enhance intervention in attaining success to your objective.

SquareDealer

Hello, armhow. What is a marketeer?

armhow

It's marketing, you do something for what ever brand you want to share in the market. It has to do with brand awareness, trials, preferences and ultimately loyal customers.

transpo

A very strong attraction for chess players is the fact that unless you allow it, and unlike in the real world, there is no lying, cheating or stealing on the  chess board.

SquareDealer

@Transpo

However, players at all levels allow it, and it's called a swindle.

transpo

Yes, there are players that go for the cheapo in order to achieve a swindle.  But as a player increases her/his playing strength, their ability to detect a cheapo in the position in a flash increases dramatically.  This is much to the chagrin of the player that takes great pleasure, and bursts of laughter, in swindling her/his opponent. 

Life is not fair and, then (adding insult to injury) you die.  All one can do when death smiles at us, is smile back.  In other words, life is what we make of it.  We can strive for this everyday of our lives by, accepting the things we cannot change, having the courage to change the things we can, and most importantly, acquiring the wisdom to know the difference.       

hleuk2

I used to swap opponents pieces when he looked away but sometime found out! I think swindles are fair tactics.

wiki"The ability to swindle one's way out of a lost position is a useful skill for any chess player,[13][14] but Frank Marshall may be the only player who has become well known as a frequent swindler.[15] Marshall was proud of his reputation for swindles,[16] and even wrote a book entitled Marshall's Chess "Swindles" (1914).

(TMIMITW  you dont value psychology?)

it's hard to master yourself, and i see chess as truely great psychotherapy:

transpo

Once again the serenity to accept the things we cannot change.  However, you try that in a tournament hall with other players and cameras unblinking eye watching your every move.  The tournament director will eject you, and forfeit all your games, and you will be out your tournament entry fee.  Not to mention all your traveling expenses (hotel room, meals, gas or airfare or whatever.)  Oh, and no chance to be in the money in the tournament.  Thanks for coming, come again when you don't have sooooo much time!

Like I said, no lying, cheating, or stealing.

hleuk2

Napoleon and Kanute cheated at chess, and then killed their opponents

armhow wrote>>>A strategy is the main line of direction where one has to put actionable programs to achieve a specific goal. <<<

Brilliant.. There are so manyn tricks in chess if i learn them all...THEN I can get to strategy

armhow

Thanks hleuk, I appreciate your comment very much. But it's the truth. A strategy is like a constitution where all laws, rules and regulations are established to abide it's direction.

Attributes of a strategy are as follows: It should be unique, it has trade offs, various direct or indirect approaches, and long term.

Example of a strategy: disrupt the enemy's abilities to prolong the war.

tactics: bomb their machineries, kidnap or assasinate their leaders, cut off their fuel supplies, etc.....

All these programs are guided by your strategy.  I hope this is clear for everybody.

hleuk2

Very good armhow. you must be a politician or juriprudence scholar? That's sorted it for me. but pther prople have their own set of supplementation to learn.

u wrote:>>>A strategy is the main line of direction where one has to put actionable programs to achieve a specific goal

A strategy is like a constitution where all laws, rules and regulations are established to abide it's direction.

Attributes of a strategy are as follows: It should be unique, it has trade offs, various direct or indirect approaches, and long term.

Example of a strategy: disrupt the enemy's abilities to prolong the war.

tactics: bomb their machineries, kidnap or assasinate their leaders, cut off their fuel supplies, etc.....

All these programs are guided by ... strategy. <<<

I agree every move from even how you sit and attend a chess match is strategy. Mathematically it's just the moves. But sometimes a crazy move stops you wondering what the opponent was trying: another one will convince you he is a weak player and BAM you are killed. I think Nations have national characteristics in war and often have the same theme (Anaim of chess is to avoid war!")