Forums

How Good Is Gothamchess??

Sort:
654Psyfox

mid

VirtualBobbyFisher
DrSpudnik wrote:
Ultimate-trashtalker wrote:

Seriously no youtuber covers good topics like endgame rules, initiative using sacrifices

https://www.youtube.com/@ChessCoachAndras

 

and certainly not him either

https://youtu.be/vhYjvfre3k0

MarcusSuzuki90293

I mean, he better be good. I'm betting my next tournament on his 64 dollar E4 vienna gambit course. Hopefully opponent has not bought same course. 

Slay543

He's GOOD at chess, pretty sure i got a few rating points. guess he ain't danya or magnus, but he's funny too. 

ofekcohen123
M1m1c15 wrote:
He’s a gm

he's a im

APURBOBHOI
zlatkod168 wrote:

What does "op" stand for?

OP means overpowered.It is used to say that somebody is very good at what he/she does.

AerryChris

He's a fantastic player and good personality for the sport among younger viewers. Whilst I wouldn't rate him among the likes of Hammer, Narodistsky, Hikaru etc (I'm sure he'd agree). What is has is charisma and an ability to explain the game in a way many of us can understand and enjoy.

Labrador_Lily2008

He’s a great player trying to win the GM title. He’s honestly going to be the world’s best GM one day I think.

Regalbeginning

He's a clown online but deep inside feels like a good human being. That being said, his content is mostly filled with garbage and designed only for below 1400/1500 players. For others it's just wasting time A.K.A entertainment.

Regalbeginning

Not to forget He's a strong IM and better than 99% chess players

claiomh_dofheicthe
Regalbeginning wrote:

Not to forget He's a strong IM and better than 99% chess players

Hes a weak IM

Closer to FM than IM

RopemakerStreet

He breezed past FM status, gained IM in 2 years after, you'd have to be pretty stupid to think he's a weak IM.

He also plays to the gallery online, gives his viewers, who he knows are below 2000 and below 25 years old mostly, what they want, that makes him money, he's a millionaire already, whereas most of your seasoned Grandmasters have been scraping a living for years - by not even playing chess as that doesn't pay the bills for most, he has a personality that transcends and most of the professional chess bores do not, they're captain sensible types, chess gatekeepers, which is in part why they dislike gotham chess, that and pure jealousy at his success and bringing the game to a wider audience.

darkunorthodox88
RopemakerStreet wrote:

He breezed past FM status, gained IM in 2 years after, you'd have to be pretty stupid to think he's a weak IM.

He also plays to the gallery online, gives his viewers, who he knows are below 2000 and below 25 years old mostly, what they want, that makes him money, he's a millionaire already, whereas most of your seasoned Grandmasters have been scraping a living for years - by not even playing chess as that doesn't pay the bills for most, he has a personality that transcends and most of the professional chess bores do not, they're captain sensible types, chess gatekeepers, which is in part why they dislike gotham chess, that and pure jealousy at his success and bringing the game to a wider audience.

how do you know he is a millionaire?

darkunorthodox88

he is NOT a strong IM, although whether he is a weak one or just a mediocre one is hard to say. he is better than 99.5% of all serious chess players though.

Moonflux
darkunorthodox88 wrote:

he is NOT a strong IM, although whether he is a weak one or just a mediocre one is hard to say. he is better than 99.5% of all serious chess players though.

For this statistic, how do you define a "serious chess player"?

RopemakerStreet

Youtube Ad revenue, not difficult to work out when you know how much you get per 1000 views x total number of views, sponsored videos, donations, twitch ad revenue, books etc etc, well over a million, one estimate is 3.2 million dollars. Also never said he was a strong IM, but he is clearly not a weak IM.

MaetsNori

How good is he? About the strength of a solid FM, these days.

He peaked (in competitive playing strength) 5 years ago, then went on a steady decline until he retired from competitive chess last year.

I believe his decline was a result of putting most of his energy and effort into YouTube streaming. It's hard to stay competitive in any field if you stop training to compete ...

DrSpudnik
badchessplayer193 wrote:
Lickable.

Ewww!

KieferSmith
zlatkod168 wrote:

What does "op" stand for?

in this context, it stands for "overpowered", But, elsewhere on the forums, it stands for "original poster".