how to adjust to losing a game of chess?

  • #1

    I dont know about you guys but i have had times where the loss is so frustrating i want to throw the computer in the wall and call my opponent bad things and to be honest sometimes i did say rude things. After doing some research it seems this is normal and one of the reasons chess is called the game of a thousand sorrows. how do you adjust to accepting a loss as good as possible? I dont know about others but what seems to work for me is

    1. Play more chess against humans. when i play chess against OTB in club i dont seem to mind losing that much.

    2. Before every game i try to say to myself that this is not a war between two players. Its just a friendly guy who helps me analyse a line. If i think of the game as an analysis of a line with a helpful friend i dont really feel that i lost a game of chess.

    3. Dont play to short game. Its more annoying to lose 3 5minutgames than 1 15minutgame. Probably better for my chess also:)

    4. Not playing people to lowly rated. It doesnt feel rewarding to win and its painful to lose.

    Of course this is what helped ME. Anyone else have experience with such things?

  • #2

    I think it's OK to be upset about losing... it's what you do with your frustration! Beating yourself up, or cursing out your opponent does nothing. How about taking that energy into figuring out what happened, with a cool head, in each game you lost...

    Then, you will find yourself losing less games too Wink...

    Thoughts?

    Danny

  • #3

    Do like I do, have a hammer next to you, and when you lose a game, whack one of your fingers and believe me you will not think about losing the gameSurprised

  • #4

    Fifty pushups! 

  • #5

    A money jar to donate to a cause you don't believe in is motivating... You have to put a dollar in every time you lose Tongue out...

  • #6

    haha lots of good suggestions guysLaughing  maybe youre on to something suggesting using the energy to figure what i should have done because i remember some losses from years ago while wins seems to be forgotten in 5 minuts

  • #7
    tigergutt wrote:

    chess is called the game of a thousand sorrows.


    Whoa!

    Go watch a Bob Ross video painting "Happy little trees"

  • #8
    tigergutt wrote:

     to be honest sometimes i did say rude things.


    I'm shocked!

  • #9

    Shocked I say! 

  • #10
    TeraHammer wrote:
    tigergutt wrote:

    chess is called the game of a thousand sorrows.


    Whoa!

    Go watch a Bob Ross video painting "Happy little trees"


    chess has a crazy history behind it. the storys says people have been executed for winning chessgames

  • #11
    ACEChess wrote:

    A money jar to donate to a cause you don't believe in is motivating... You have to put a dollar in every time you lose ...


    Or just use the money for chess lessons/books/software/membership to websites.

  • #12
    GhostNight wrote:

    Do like I do, have a hammer next to you, and when you lose a game, whack one of your fingers and believe me you will not think about losing the game


    And you won't dare to lose another one! Laughing

  • #13
    travis1010 wrote:
    ACEChess wrote:

    A money jar to donate to a cause you don't believe in is motivating... You have to put a dollar in every time you lose ...


    Or just use the money for chess lessons/books/software/membership to websites.


    but then i would WANT to loseTongue out

  • #14
    tigergutt wrote:
    travis1010 wrote:
    ACEChess wrote:

    A money jar to donate to a cause you don't believe in is motivating... You have to put a dollar in every time you lose ...


    Or just use the money for chess lessons/books/software/membership to websites.


    but then i would WANT to lose


    Well, that solves your problem then, doesn't it? :D

  • #15

    haha i guess. i think i would started missing winning from time to time

  • #16

    Online? Who cares

    OTB Tournaments?  I spent alot of years suffering and agonizing over losses.  Id lose one game and it ruined the whole tournament for me.  A loss that caused me to drop out of the money would leave me so angry id just quit, and leave the tournment.  About a year ago, for whatever the reason i learned to accept the fact that im going to lose.  Now i enjoy tournaments so much more, losses dont bother me like they used to. 

  • #17

    Losing sucks no matter how short the time control!

  • #18
    ciljettu wrote:
    UnratedGamesOnly wrote:

    Online? Who cares

    OTB Tournaments?  I spent alot of years suffering and agonizing over losses.  Id lose one game and it ruined the whole tournament for me.  A loss that caused me to drop out of the money would leave me so angry id just quit, and leave the tournment.  About a year ago, for whatever the reason i learned to accept the fact that im going to lose.  Now i enjoy tournaments so much more, losses dont bother me like they used to. 


     Wish I was like you .... losing otb to a lower rated player is one of the worst feelings I have experienced.... even losing online is bad enough.


     The online games dont mean anything.  Do you really think its worth getting all worked up over an online rating?  The one thing i have discovered here playing unrated games only, is the LARGE number of sandbaggers. 

  • #19

    DONT GIVE UP

  • #20

    [DONT GIVE UP

Top
or Join

Online Now