Forums

How to create a database?

Sort:
AlxMaster

How to create my own chess database in PGN? I appreciate any help, thanks.

AlxMaster

I have been trying to find out how to make a database of my own with no success. I'm NOT talking about a database of games. I want to make a (readable in the form of a move-tree by programs such as ChessDB) PGN database of the best responses to all the openings, one for white and one for black, which I will gradually add as I study the openings. I haven't found out anyway of doing that, although the idea is very simple.

MrEdCollins

It sounds like you DO want a database of games... but the games just won't be complete.  They will all just be to move x or so.  Some games might be for 7 or 8 moves, other games might have more moves than this, especially if it's all still theory and "book moves."

You can do this a number of ways.  One way:  Just use a GUI to make the moves on the board, and then when the opening is complete, save that "game" to your database.  (You want to add it, so the database keeps getting larger.)

You probably should enter a descriptive header.  For example, in the EVENT field, say something like "French Defense - Advance Variation."

You can enter multiple variations within each game if you want, or just make another game with that variation.

Scid vs. PC should be able to do all of this for you nicely, (choose Save: Add game from the GAME menu) but WinBoard or Arena or any of the other GUIs should all be able to handle this as well.

AlxMaster

Thank you very much, MrEdCollins, what you described is exactly what I want. I already managed to do it on ChessDB. But I would like to to it on WinBoard, because it's where I also run an engine for analysis. Please let me know how to edit my database on WinBoard, because I can only see options like "load game" but nothing related to databases.

Thank you very much.

MrEdCollins

The "Load Game" menu option in WinBoard probably should be renamed.  That will also load an entire database, that is in PGN format, not just a single game. 

I tried it just now and it worked fine.  I keep all of my over-the-board tournament games in a separate PGN file, and it loaded all of them just fine. 

When you load them, a separate window will appear, called GAME LIST.  It lists all of the games in the file, and you can scroll through the list and select the game you want.  (In your case it will be the opening you want to study.) 

Finally, note the "secret" ALT-PG DOWN keystroke combination will automatically load the next game in the file, and take you to the opening position.  This might come in handy.

AlxMaster

I still don't know how to create a database on Winboard and save games to it.

Please tell me how to:

- Create a database on WinBoard

- Add games to it (editing the game myself and saving directly to the database)

- See the moves in the form of a move-tree (in other words see the moves in the current position found on the games of the database)

I did manage to do something in chessDB, but running the engine there crashes my computer and also, it doesn't save to PGN, but to another format, that's why I need to do it on WinBoard. I appreciate any help.

DunnoItAll

I suggest using the right tool for the right job.  Chess Position Trainer is the tool.  The free (limited version) is fine for most people and will do exactly what you want, easily, and you can export it to pgn for use in other programs.  You literally just make the moves on the board and that's it.  As soon as you make a move, it's in your database.

MrEdCollins

I agree, Chess Position Trainer sounds like a better solution.

If you must use WinBoard, then...

Open WinBoard and make your moves on the board
Click VIEW - TAGS and edit the header data
Click FILE - SAVE GAME and select which pgn file you're saving it to

That's it.  Note that WinBoard will append this "game" to the file, not overwrite the existing file.

I've never used WinBoard for your third item, to view the moves in the form of a move tree.  I'm not sure if the program can do that.  Let me check and I'll get back to you.

AlxMaster

Well, ChessDB does everything I want, the only problem is certainly because it doesn't control how much memory the engine takes from the computer, causing the computer to crash when I run the engine. I had exactly the same problem with Arena 3 and later was able to fix it, if I can fix that on ChessDB, then problem solved.

About Chess Position Trainer free version - the question is - does it run an engine in full capacity? If yes, then I guess it may be the best tool.

For now, I guess my option is using 2 softwares for the job: Winboard for the engine and ChessDB for the database. The only problem is, ChessDB saves in another format than PGN and I'm not sure if it's possible to convert later.

In resume, a few ways of fixing the problem:

- Make ChessDB engine not crash the pc and saving database to PGN

- Chess Position Trainer runs the engine in full capacity

- Winboard has a window to show all DB moves on current position

I appreciate all help.

EscherehcsE

Hi AlxMaster,

One quick question - What engine (and version number) are you trying to use in ChessDB, and have you tried specifying certain hash sizes?

Also,

"- Make ChessDB ...saving database to PGN"

I don't really use ChessDB, but it looks a lot like Scid. It looks like you could easily export a ChessDB database to a PGN database.

AlxMaster

Escher, you are right, I was looking at this right now - ChessDB can export to PGN. It also can set "low engine priority" which I'm sure, just as with Arena, would prevent the engine from crashing the pc.

The only problem is - I can't find the option "low engine priority" !!! I read about it on the help file of the program but I can't find it! Does anyone know where to click this option???

EscherehcsE
AlxMaster wrote:

Escher, you are right, I was looking at this right now - ChessDB can export to PGN. It also can set "low engine priority" which I'm sure, just as with Arena, would prevent the engine from crashing the pc.

The only problem is - I can't find the option "low engine priority" !!! I read about it on the help file of the program but I can't find it! Does anyone know where to click this option???

Well, I don't know much about engine priority, I've never had the need to mess with it. (I think the Scid help file states that in Windows, the engine priority is on low by default. Maybe that's why I've never had to deal with it.) Anyway, in Scid, the "low priority button is in the engine analysis window.

Are you sure it's a priority issue and not a hash size issue? Have you used the Windows task manager (or equivalent) to see how big the hash table is and how much cpu the engine is using?

Again, the name of the engine?

AlxMaster

I had the same problem on arena, and I'm sure there is an option "low engine priority" on chessDB, I read it on the help file. I just can't find it. The engine is Houdini3 but it runs perfectly fine on Winboard.

Maybe I will download and try Scid. Or maybe I will use arena. Does arena also make databases by adding games? I just find the Winboard interface much more visually pleasant, but if arena works, maybe I could use it.

EscherehcsE
AlxMaster wrote:

I had the same problem on arena, and I'm sure there is an option "low engine priority" on chessDB, I read it on the help file. I just can't find it. The engine is Houdini3 but it runs perfectly fine on Winboard.

Maybe I will download and try Scid. Or maybe I will use arena. Does arena also make databases by adding games? I just find the Winboard interface much more visually pleasant, but if arena works, maybe I could use it.

In Post #12, EscherehcsE said, "Anyway, in Scid, the "low priority button is in the engine analysis window." Smile

The Arena database functions are not nearly as comprehensive as ChessDB or Scid. With Arena, you won't be able to see a "tree of variations".

EscherehcsE

Another thing to check - Houdini might be trying to use too many threads. See how many threads it's using, and if it's too many, try reducing the number. If you're not sure how many to pick, try 1 thread. Smile

AlxMaster

I downloaded Scid after the last reply and it works fine, thanks to everyone for the help.

Antonin1957

I hope someone can help me. I have read this thread but still cannot figure out how to do what I want.

I recently downloaded Arena. It comes with a database of games. I want to create a second database of my favorite games that i have downloaded individually. How can i do this? Thanks in advance for any help.

EscherehcsE
Antonin1957 wrote:

I hope someone can help me. I have read this thread but still cannot figure out how to do what I want.

I recently downloaded Arena. It comes with a database of games. I want to create a second database of my favorite games that i have downloaded individually. How can i do this? Thanks in advance for any help.

You can do it one of two ways - either within Arena, or directly with a text editor (since a PGN file is just a text file). If you use a text editor, just copy-and-paste the game info into one PGN file, making sure you leave one blank line between each game.

Using Arena - Create a new PGN file by going into the Arena menu - "PGN --> New", then choose the path and file name. Then just start adding games one by one to the new PGN file. First open a PGN file containing a game ("PGN --> Open"), then load a game into Arena. Once a game has been loaded into Arena, you can then add the game to your new PGN file ("PGN --> Save Current Game in PGN Format"). That's it - It's pretty simple.

P.S. - One tip - Once you've created your database, keep backup copies of it! If you don't, it will bite you in the butt someday.

Antonin1957

Thank you very much!  I followed your guidelines for Arena, and they worked. Thanks again!

RMChess1954

Check out my blog http://chesstech.info/ a list of posts down the left side. You might find it helpful. I describe how to setup features in SCID vs PC. Also where to get and setup engines, and databases.