Forums

How to get better in games with fast time controls?

Sort:
Jabba_The_Mutt

I think anyone who has ever studied and practised a musical instrument seriously, knows that slow, conscious and deliberate practice is the key to flawless, clean and fast execution of difficult patterns and licks.

I suspect that this principle applies to many things in life, including chess...

SmyslovFan
QuantumWave wrote:

The book Bullet Chess One Minute To Mate by Hikaru Nakamura and Bruce Seirawan is one of the few books on the subject it is full of useful information. http://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Chess-One-Minute-Mate/dp/1888690674

The co-author was Bruce Harper.

Chessgrandmaster2001

Thanks...

KillTheHorsie

NM Aww-rats (quoted several times already) said: "you actually hurt your chess by playing blitz and bullet chess. You learn to play impulsive moves."  I think the key is the word "impulsive".  To play your best game, regardless of time control, play every move as if it's the MOST IMPORTANT MOVE OF THE GAME, because it is. 

I have played many 5-minute games with the attitude of, "If I win, I win.  If I lose, who cares?"  It's fun to play with that attitude, but it does not improve your game.

testviking

Study endgames. Cheers :)

Chessgrandmaster2001

Thanks! :)