Forums

I hate chess.

Sort:
Krushervitzky

I must say that I hate this accursed game of chess more than anything I have ever hated in my whole life. Its vile terror and sheer butchery mirrors the evil and pernicious vicissitudes of this painful and damned life on this forsaken planet, and as such I despise chess above all things. What makes it even more offensive is the fact that unfortunately it is so addictive. I really wish that this game would be erased forever and permanently eviscerated from the collective memory and history of mankind. May all the ancient plagues haunt its inventors through the darkest regions of Hell, if there ever was such a thing.

wik8

the reason we all "hate chess" when we lose a game is because there is nothing to blame but ourselves.  chess is played entirely in good faith; when we win, we played the better game and when we lose, we made the critical mistakes.  there is no 'lucky card' or 'fortunate chance.'  it takes time to adjust to being entirely in charge of one's own fortunes as most games are not like this.  but it is also the thing that makes chess satisfying and rewarding.

Fear_ItseIf
Krushervitzky wrote:

I must say that I hate this accursed game of chess more than anything I have ever hated in my whole life. Its vile terror and sheer butchery mirrors the evil and pernicious vicissitudes of this painful and damned life on this forsaken planet, and as such I despise chess above all things. What makes it even more offensive is the fact that unfortunately it is so addictive. I really wish that this game would be erased forever and permanently eviscerated from the collective memory and history of mankind. May all the ancient plagues haunt its inventors through the darkest regions of Hell, if there ever was such a thing.

lol...

Maplo
wik8 wrote:

the reason we all "hate chess" when we lose a game is because there is nothing to blame but ourselves.  chess is played entirely in good faith; when we win, we played the better game and when we lose, we made the critical mistakes.  there is no 'lucky card' or 'fortunate chance.'  it takes time to adjust to being entirely in charge of one's own fortunes as most games are not like this.  but it is also the thing that makes chess satisfying and rewarding.

I would have to disagree to an extent, as there is plenty of luck in chess. I always play Blitz on this site, and often "get away" with it when my opponent tries a combination which I had not even considered (but which I would have considered if I had noticed it), but which turns out to be unsound. Conversely, I am sure the opposite happens when an opponent of mine fails to consider one of my combinations, but nevertheless manages to find a saving resource.

wik8
Maplo wrote:
wik8 wrote:

I would have to disagree to an extent, as there is plenty of luck in chess. I always play Blitz on this site, and often "get away" with it when my opponent tries a combination which I had not even considered (but which I would have considered if I had noticed it), but which turns out to be unsound. Conversely, I am sure the opposite happens when an opponent of mine fails to consider one of my combinations, but nevertheless manages to find a saving resource.

when your opponent plays a combination that is unsound and you exploit it, that is not a question of luck but of skill. 

Maplo
[COMMENT DELETED]
Maplo
wik8 wrote:
Maplo wrote:
wik8 wrote:

when your opponent plays a combination that is unsound and you exploit it, that is not a question of luck but of skill. 

Yes, of course I would deserve some credit for exploiting it. But, sometimes I give a sigh of relief, because I had never even considered the possibility of his move (even though I should have), but managed to get away with my oversight.

shepi13

I hate when I calculate a complicated win for my opponent, then after thinking for about 30 more minutes they see it and beat me. Don't I get credit for calculating it first? Cry

And when you calculate a five move relatively forced entry to the ending where you sac a pawn and your opponent ends up with the worst pawn structure ever seen. So you play an inaccuracy on move 5, go into this long line, and realize at the end that your opponent has two bishops for two knights and has the activity for an easy win.

kgpatrick21

Having an alcoholic beverage does wonders while playing chess. At least it does for me. You don't think in circles and don't get as frustrated after a blunder. Hit the resign button and keep the games coming.

dashofchutmeg
wik8 wrote:

This is exactly right. What I've tried to explain to a friend (re: my anger in losing to an evenly-matched opponent) is that I have all of the information available to me and still throw the game away. It's frustration with my brain, not the game itself. The game is artful and magical and beautiful all at once. My brain is weak and stupid and makes my hands do stupid things with the pieces.

akumumasochist

that was very entertaining to read, as well as a bit informational.

AndyClifton
wik8 wrote:

This is a circular argument.

Also note that that lucky card can act as a salve or balm to your conscience as well.

atarw

I hate people who hate chess.

wbilfc

I hate people who hate people who hate chess.

Should there be a whom in there somewhere? I can never work that one out!  :0)

Maplo
wbilfc wrote:

Your sentence is correct. It should only be "whom" if the people are having something done to them, not if they are the doers, e.g. "I feel sorry for people WHO hate chess and WHOM are therefore themselves hated by others."

shepi13

I feel sorry for people who hate chess and whom are therefore themselves hated by others who hate people who hate chess who hate people who hate people who hate chess. Ok?

shepi13

To explain my previous statement a diagram might be needed Laughing

People who hate chess - I feel sorry for them because they are hated by others

Others - They hate people who hate chess

People who hate chess - Hate people who hate people who hate chess. So they hate the others.

AndyClifton
Maplo wrote:
wbilfc wrote:

Your sentence is correct. It should only be "whom" if the people are having something done to them, not if they are the doers, e.g. "I feel sorry for people WHO hate chess and WHOM are therefore themselves hated by others."

AndyClifton

(And I don't agree with his analysis either.) Smile

Extradimensional

Yeah, this game sucks, SC2 is a much better strategy game! I used to play this my uncle who is a physics professor at Mitchigan uni and I used to beat him and now, after 10 years not practicing, I get beaten by little kids because 'I run out of time' this is bullshit and I am going back to sc2.