Forums

I hate chess.

Sort:
wbilfc

SC2?

bobbyDK

starcraft 2?

eddysallin

How much u weigh ? U sound like the kind of man i could develope into a good prize fighter. Frustrated ? Well we can get u bodies too bang away at,and we can make money! A few years of my coaching and i will take u to the big time.Forget about that chess b.s..Think of all the faces u can smash.

Yereslov

Chess is a terrible game, but it is still incredibly addicting.

user2357

Exactly the same for me son, I hate this game and I lost almost every single game I have played but it is incredibly addictive.

It felt good knowing that I am not the only one here that hates chess. I still think it is one of the best and most balanced strategy games but it is way too frustrating, time consuming and addictive so I quit.

LegoGiant

I hate chess because it always says that losing a ROOK is the best move in tactics! This just pisses me off because my family takes chess so seriously it is like a gold nugget to them!

open2rhyme
[COMMENT DELETED]
ilikewindmills
Chess probably hates you too.
flash_st33l

Maybe you're mad because you're so far behind everybody else. It's not the game that sucks, it's your years of procrastination that sucks. Try poker. 

cutelovely

fun game chess was

choretortle

So I've heard all sorts of nonsense about why people hate Chess. The truth is, the reason to hate chess is that it's already been "won" [By a computer, a decade or so ago]. It's the most complicated and elaborate game of tic-tac-toe ever devised, and most intelligent people realize that there is no art or outcome in playing it other than increasing the spread of your present cognitive memory in a thousand different directions at once regarding principles that have no real world application. Not even the physics of real world cubes adhere to "two blocks forward, one right".

I think it should be considered a sport because it is literally physically laborious thinking, with very little conceptual dynamic.

When was the last time you played soccer, wiggled your pinky toe, and were told "You've just made three blunders already." So what? So like.. I have to get up to speed on what? The bigger picture? A million different moves and the computer beating the man? Memorizing every game that has ever been played. And one day when I do that what will I do? I hope it's throw up; because anything else would be inhuman, irrational, and bizarre.

Maybe I'll reach a point where the emergent properties will tickle my brain in some way; Then why the hell am I losing to people who have no idea what an emergent property is?

Anyone else catching my drift?

AlCzervik

everything except the pinky toe part.

choretortle

@AlCzervik, I guess the best way to put it is that it is a closed system. Playing casually, then looking at your specs has no meaning because meaning is conveyed to human beings with concepts, not fifty-times-over calculated outcomes. If chess is poetically analogous to reality, as so many have suggested, I would see the pinky toe analogy as the less naive version.

There are strong forces at work in physics perhaps even entirely predictable ones (though i don't believe this is ultimately true); If so, for anyone who would comprehend this and not be God, it would be a living hell... Chess is potentially a living hell; The only enjoyment I find in it is my, the other player's, and perhaps--different aspects of--chess's naivete itself. If the ultimate game of tic-tac-toe is to be enjoyed, it must be enjoyed as tic-tac-toe.

p8q

Chess is the best science/art a brilliant brain should invest their valuable time, because its achievements can't produce a posterior military application.

All geniuses brains should have being trapped into chess.

p8q

In Spanish reconquest, sometimes instead of fighting and masacre the whole city, they just played a match of chess. Thousands of lives saved. There are so many reasons to love this game... French revolution and USA itself! was weaved in front of a chess board. You don't believe me? Its all explained in this book:

The immortal game. By David Shenk

p8q

Chess, the most hated and forbidden game, forbidden up to 300 times by kings and sultans along its history. And here it is, still surviving computer games, with 30 million players just in this website. Played from s outer space, from underwater...

And you hate it just because you made some mistakes and didn't have the patience to ask why. You should wash your hands before sitting to play, not to defile its sacred pieces!

p8q

I don't care, im on the train to work, don't have anything else to do along the way

choretortle

@p8q,

You are having a conversation with yourself ["just because you made some mistakes and didn't have the patience..." ...Who are you talking to?], a chauvinistic binary reaction with some interesting facts thrown in. Being angry with the game of chess is not a constant, nor the foulness of your "enemy's" varied pleasures in life (which are ultimately the same as your own).

I'll give it to you because that's what this thread is for (venting), but I think I've discovered more positive and profound insights on the significance of chess in my own emotional reflection, than in all of your zealous convulsing; Not the least of which is that it is ultimately a game (not a religion).

OliBurt

Stick at it.  Real progress takes time.  I was getting really frustrated because I've been stuck on puzzle rush scoring <= 20 for the last 28 days but finally today I got 21!

p8q
choretortle wrote:

@p8q,

You are having a conversation with yourself ["just because you made some mistakes and didn't have the patience..." ...Who are you talking to?], a chauvinistic binary reaction with some interesting facts thrown in. Being angry with the game of chess is not a constant, nor the foulness of your "enemy's" varied pleasures in life (which are ultimately the same as your own).

I'll give it to you because that's what this thread is for (venting), but I think I've discovered more positive and profound insights on the significance of chess in my own emotional reflection, than in all of your zealous convulsing; Not the least of which is that it is ultimately a game (not a religion).

I respect your opinion, and also the question of the OP. Before I got carried by my emotions, sorry tongue.png

I also got angry sometimes when I blundered and lose a completely winning position. But I learnt to calm down, which is part of the game also, since this game is also psychological.

I have read good advises in this thread.

I know this game is not a religion, it's much more than that. My last sentence came out of my excitement. I didn't want to offend anybody.

However, I dont agree with you when you say chess is just a simple game. Super Mario Bross is just a game. If you say chess is just a game is because you dont know its history and misteries. For example I invite you to read that book and you will realise just how little we know about this game.

Yes, I too got angry when I blunder, but to control oneself is one of the things that chess teaches you, and thats more important than learn opennings or tactics, to learn how to keep calm in the middle of a chess tournament, that lesson will save your life one day extrapolating to other situation.

To accept ones mistakes, instead of saying you lost because you weren't lucky, or you lost because your team was tired, or you didn't hit the ball because of the wind... To realise its was your only fault will teach the chess player to mature faster than any other game. Etc. Tell me if just a game can teach you so much.

Chess is the only game unsolved by human kind or any computer in the world. All other games have being solved by computers. This is not a religion, but tell me if just a game can contain more combinations than all the atoms in the visible universe. When you play chess you are looking at the infinite, and only the unresolved mistery of our intuition can make you see through the winning moves instead of having to calculate millions of position like a machine, just because a machine dont have intuition.

No matter how angry I could get when I make a mistake, I wouldn't be able to say I hate this game. But you can say it if you want, you will not stop playing anyways.