Forums

is chess a sport?

anthonyaw

See I proved my point and shut you up

Nennerb

"moves your heart" -- are we still talking about chess?

Nennerb

The definition of sports that you supplied does not apply to chess. Chess does not exercise your body-- at most, it uses your brain and hands; however, that's not enough to say chess exercises the body. Most people don't play chess to blow off steam. If anything, playing chess when you're tired or stressed out will end up with you losing your games and rage quitting. By "moves your heart," I assume you mean physically rather than emotionally. Chess does not move your heart unless you consider anxiety. But with that consideration, you might as well say that haunted houses are a sport.

Soniasthetics
anthonyaw wrote:

So, your point is blank, sport is anything that exercises your brain.

thats not sport. 

 

MagicalScarecrow

depends on your definition of sport.

the dictionary definition is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment," which chess doesn't fit into

MagicalScarecrow

due to the physical exertion part (unless you count magnus raging when he loses)

Soniasthetics

no it doesn't "depend" on your definition.

There is an actual definition, an activity that involves physical exertion and skill.

It's hilarious how thousands of years ago sport was considered activities like gladiators, and now a days we put chess in the sport category. 

 

Yurinclez

two active members in this thread actually agree chess is not a sport... so what are they debating on? i read their posts. although both agree chess isn't but somehow it looks like they have different opinions that contradict each other... or maybe i am just too lazy to read carefully.

Yurinclez

to determine whether chess is sport or not, you can compare football and chess as video/PC game.

of course, when it comes to chess itself, it requires the same skill whether you do that on PC or OTB.. you only need different medias

but if it is football, diving, basketball, boxing... that's just another story. are your grandfather good at football just because he is a good at football video game?

soldiers are not taught they will be good at battle by playing war or FPS games.

anyone is entitled to think/say chess is a sport, the only sport that you can cheat with software.

krazyf
Sure, it is.
tourIDchess10kp
lfPatriotGames wrote:
tourIDchess10kp wrote:

How does chess not involve physical exertion

The rules of chess lay that out pretty clearly. The game is played by moving pieces on a board. But, the moves do not need to be physically made. They can be made virtually. With zero exertion. And obviously zero skill. 

Accommodations have been made by the ADA as well as other governing bodies to ensure that people with no physical abilities to play chess can still play. So they can make their moves by proxy. Talk into a machine, relay their moves to someone else, etc. 

There are probably a lot of games where this is also done. We've all had aunt Edna over for the holidays and played a board game where she could not move the pieces. So someone else did it for here. She didn't have to put forth any effort. 

But in sports you cant do that. You can't tell someone else that you just hit a baseball 400 feet. You have to ACTUALLY hit it 400 feet. You cant talk into a machine and say you'd like to hit a golf ball 300 yards. You have to ACTUALLY do that yourself. 

Because chess is a game, and not a sport, proxy is allowed. The physical skill demands of sport do not allow someone to simply say what the results should be. The results have to actually be carried out by the participant. 

No my butt hurts when I play chess for hours

tourIDchess10kp
MagicalScarecrow wrote:

depends on your definition of sport.

the dictionary definition is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment," which chess doesn't fit into

It does lol

au_100
Chestnut_22 wrote:

There is physical skill in snooker and darts, cueing the ball and throwing darts accurately requires physical skill not just mental.

Think the term e-sports has muddied the definition and confused people into thinking that gamers are sports people.


Putting it that way, I for sure think sportsman should only refer to physical sports. A chess player can be a games person/game master or something similar but not a sportsman. Even though only a few days ago I thought anything with competition is a sport.

lfPatriotGames
tourIDchess10kp wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:
tourIDchess10kp wrote:

How does chess not involve physical exertion

The rules of chess lay that out pretty clearly. The game is played by moving pieces on a board. But, the moves do not need to be physically made. They can be made virtually. With zero exertion. And obviously zero skill. 

Accommodations have been made by the ADA as well as other governing bodies to ensure that people with no physical abilities to play chess can still play. So they can make their moves by proxy. Talk into a machine, relay their moves to someone else, etc. 

There are probably a lot of games where this is also done. We've all had aunt Edna over for the holidays and played a board game where she could not move the pieces. So someone else did it for here. She didn't have to put forth any effort. 

But in sports you cant do that. You can't tell someone else that you just hit a baseball 400 feet. You have to ACTUALLY hit it 400 feet. You cant talk into a machine and say you'd like to hit a golf ball 300 yards. You have to ACTUALLY do that yourself. 

Because chess is a game, and not a sport, proxy is allowed. The physical skill demands of sport do not allow someone to simply say what the results should be. The results have to actually be carried out by the participant. 

No my butt hurts when I play chess for hours

I don't know what to say. I guess you are playing the wrong "game". 

tourIDchess10kp
lfPatriotGames wrote:
tourIDchess10kp wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:
tourIDchess10kp wrote:

How does chess not involve physical exertion

The rules of chess lay that out pretty clearly. The game is played by moving pieces on a board. But, the moves do not need to be physically made. They can be made virtually. With zero exertion. And obviously zero skill. 

Accommodations have been made by the ADA as well as other governing bodies to ensure that people with no physical abilities to play chess can still play. So they can make their moves by proxy. Talk into a machine, relay their moves to someone else, etc. 

There are probably a lot of games where this is also done. We've all had aunt Edna over for the holidays and played a board game where she could not move the pieces. So someone else did it for here. She didn't have to put forth any effort. 

But in sports you cant do that. You can't tell someone else that you just hit a baseball 400 feet. You have to ACTUALLY hit it 400 feet. You cant talk into a machine and say you'd like to hit a golf ball 300 yards. You have to ACTUALLY do that yourself. 

Because chess is a game, and not a sport, proxy is allowed. The physical skill demands of sport do not allow someone to simply say what the results should be. The results have to actually be carried out by the participant. 

No my butt hurts when I play chess for hours

I don't know what to say. I guess you are playing the wrong "game". 

I was referring to OTB chess.

chessnutswe2

To IPatriotGames I am a arm  amputee who are you to tell me that I need a proxy or a machine to play chess

lfPatriotGames
chessnutswe2 wrote:

To IPatriotGames I am a arm  amputee who are you to tell me that I need a proxy or a machine to play chess

I'm speaking in general terms. It applies to everyone. If someone has no arms or legs, the rules of chess allow for them to still play. If for any reason (amputee being just one) they cannot physically make the move, they are allowed to move by proxy. There could be other reasons. It could neurological. Perhaps someone has little or no control over their limbs. It doesn't matter the reason. The point is in the game of chess the potentially physical parts are not relevant, people are allowed to ignore them 100%. Someone else may do those things for them. 

But in sports participation by proxy is not allowed. A bowler is not allowed to sit on the sidelines (or even stand up behind the line) and simply tell someone where the ball goes. He has to actually, physically, do it himself. 

People have  come up with dozens of reasons chess is not a sport. Some good, some really good. This is just another reason. Games (like chess) usually allow participation by proxy. Not always, but usually. Sports on the other hand, never allow it. 

chessnutswe2

One more time how are you I don't need a proxy or a TAB tell me how to move my men

minty_bubbles
tourIDchess10kp wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:
tourIDchess10kp wrote:

How does chess not involve physical exertion

The rules of chess lay that out pretty clearly. The game is played by moving pieces on a board. But, the moves do not need to be physically made. They can be made virtually. With zero exertion. And obviously zero skill. 

Accommodations have been made by the ADA as well as other governing bodies to ensure that people with no physical abilities to play chess can still play. So they can make their moves by proxy. Talk into a machine, relay their moves to someone else, etc. 

There are probably a lot of games where this is also done. We've all had aunt Edna over for the holidays and played a board game where she could not move the pieces. So someone else did it for here. She didn't have to put forth any effort. 

But in sports you cant do that. You can't tell someone else that you just hit a baseball 400 feet. You have to ACTUALLY hit it 400 feet. You cant talk into a machine and say you'd like to hit a golf ball 300 yards. You have to ACTUALLY do that yourself. 

Because chess is a game, and not a sport, proxy is allowed. The physical skill demands of sport do not allow someone to simply say what the results should be. The results have to actually be carried out by the participant. 

No my butt hurts when I play chess for hours

XD lol

anthonyaw

Well I suppose you are right thank you for teaching me something new!