Forums

Is Chess Really Good for Your Brain?

Sort:
motherinlaw
electricpawn wrote:
bigpoison wrote:

Really?  My heart races when German Shepherds are chewing on me.  I'm pretty sure that's not good for me.

Does this happen often, bp? I think I could help you with some strategies to avoid these events in the future.

lol -- a generous offer!  I'd take him up on it.

ptd570

I dont know, maybe you coulda asked Fischer how he somehow avoided mental asylums before he died...Steinitz couldnt avoid the mental asylum in New york where he died... Rubinstein died while suffering from schizophrenia & anthropophobia in his last days...Alekhine was put in a mental hospital 1943 just 3 years before he died.

3 out of 4 of these guys are on the all time Top 10 chess players! The fourth one Rubinstein was top 40 all time. What does all this tell you about chess being really good for the brain?Frown

DrSpudnik

The brain is not the mind.

fburton

The mind is what the brain does.

bigpoison
electricpawn wrote:
bigpoison wrote:

Really?  My heart races when German Shepherds are chewing on me.  I'm pretty sure that's not good for me.

Does this happen often, bp? I think I could help you with some strategies to avoid these events in the future.

Once was enough.  I think the best strategy would be to quit my job.

electricpawn
bigpoison wrote:
electricpawn wrote:
bigpoison wrote:

Once was enough.  I think the best strategy would be to quit my job.

Dude, I know those PED's are expensive, but what job is that?

motherinlaw

Oh, bp, I could have told you "German Shepherd Jaw Pressure Tester" usually does turn out to be a more stressful job than people might imagine.  Do you have any other skills?

bigpoison

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta' do it.

fburton

lol @ bigpoison!

laurie66

If you enjoy chess then it must be good because it produces a good feeling and when you lose it makes you feel bad