Forums

Has the World Championship lost its meaning?

Sort:
nameno1had
InvisibleDuck wrote:
TheBone1 wrote:

The answer depends on whether the person in the game would rather have a goat or a car.

Well if you want a goat, then your answer to the question will be the opposite of what it would be if you wanted a car. So you only have to work it out once, for either result.

How can you tell if you are in a part of the country that prefers goats?

Well, if you whistle, and the goats back-up to the fence, you are probably in "I prefer goat!" country.

I think you missed or forgot about the age old question of :

Is the glass half full or half empty?

it has been solved by yours truly, via the new math I was showing you...

TheBone1
InvisibleDuck wrote:
TheBone1 wrote:

The answer depends on whether the person in the game would rather have a goat or a car.

Well if you want a goat, then your answer to the question will be the opposite of what it would be if you wanted a car. So you only have to work it out once, for either result.

How can you tell if you are in a part of the country that prefers goats?

Well, if you whistle, and the goats back-up to the fence, you are probably in "I prefer goat!" country.

It may not at all depend on what a person wants, but what they need.  They may want a car, but find out very soon after that they would have been better with a goat (or vice versa).  So one can never say which is better (or more dominant, etc, etc.) with 100% certainty.

Ubik42
dannyhume wrote:

A car could keep you warm.  But so could a goat's abdominal cavity, Empire Strikes Back style.  But you'd need a light-saber.  

And I thought they smelled bad....on the outside!

TheOldReb

Titled players didnt earn their titles by playing blitz, rapid chess, blind chess, FRC nor any other chess " variant " . They earned their titles playing classic/standard/slow chess  so why expect them to be proficient in all the chess "variants " out there or any of them ?  The more you speed the game up the lower the quality of the games . 

Kingpatzer

Reb - you heretic. Everyone at my club plays bughouse and blitz nonstop and they'll tell you that's why they're that good! 

Wait, so what you're saying is they're right?! Wink

Warbler
InvisibleDuck wrote:

As long as we are hijacking the thread:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1 [but the door is not opened], and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

yes.   whatever door you originally pick, you have 2/3 chance of being wrong.  Since the door host opens will never be the one with the car,  the door that you didn't pick and wasn't opened by the host, has a 2/3 chance of being the door with the car behind it.

Ubik42
Warbler wrote:
InvisibleDuck wrote:

As long as we are hijacking the thread:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1 [but the door is not opened], and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

yes.   whatever door you originally pick, you have 2/3 chance of being wrong.  Since the door host opens will never be the one with the car,  the door that you didn't pick and wasn't opened by the host, has a 2/3 chance of being the door with the car behind it.

You win a dollar for this answer. Don't spend it all in one place.

Ubik42

When you think of the best player in the world, what names pops in your mind?

Warbler
InvisibleDuck wrote:

When you think of the best player in the world, what names pops in your mind?

Anand, Carlsen, and Kasperov (assuming you are talking about those still living. )

nameno1had
Reb wrote:

Titled players didnt earn their titles by playing blitz, rapid chess, blind chess, FRC nor any other chess " variant " . They earned their titles playing classic/standard/slow chess  so why expect them to be proficient in all the chess "variants " out there or any of them ?  The more you speed the game up the lower the quality of the games . 

I think blind chess is silly, unless you are talking about people, trading coordinates aloud verbally without a board in front of them. I would be in awe of a great talent like that, especially one who is both thorough, fast and accurate.

I decented I would relent in only one manner...I think there should be different distinctions and titles given for various things. That way, those like yourself can have your title and still feel like you can continue working towards the goals you have without your world suddenly being turned upside down. If you want to try to be both a GM and WC for standard chess, fine...I still think there is room for a world all around champion.

Kingpatzer

I like soccer and American football. 

I think i'll take Nameno1had's idea to the world of football. Whoever wins in this weekend's game between the Giants and Patriots should have to play  Spain in a 5 game series alternating between American football and soccer to see who is world all around football champion. 

mrguy888
nameno1had wrote:

I think blind chess is silly, unless you are talking about people, trading coordinates aloud verbally without a board in front of them. I would be in awe of a great talent like that, especially one who is both thorough, fast and accurate.

Blind chess is not that hard. Try it and you will probably be surprised how far you can get even on your first try.

Kingpatzer

Probably should include Australian rules football as well.

nameno1had
echecs06 wrote:
Kingpatzer wrote:

I think i'll take Nameno1had's idea to the world of football. Whoever wins in this weekend's game between the Giants and Patriots should have to play  Spain in a 5 game series alternating between American football and soccer to see who is world all around football champion. 

I would add...rugby too! And have to play either England or France!

Thats a great idea, none of those other teams stand a chance, if I was coach...we would dominate all of them...most of our guys would end up red carded in soccer, but at the end, 2 on 1 the goalie has no chance....I'd say, we'd just straight up smoke them in rugby....were big,fast, strong, etc...

nameno1had
nameno1had wrote:
Reb wrote:

I decided I would relent in only one manner...I think there should be different distinctions and titles given for various things. That way, those like yourself can have your title and still feel like you can continue working towards the goals you have without your world suddenly being turned upside down. If you want to try to be both a GM and WC for standard chess, fine...I still think there is room for a world all around champion.

Arctor
nameno1had wrote:
echecs06 wrote:
Kingpatzer wrote:

Thats a great idea, none of those other teams stand a chance, if I was coach...we would dominate all of them...most of our guys would end up red carded in soccer, but at the end, 2 on 1 the goalie has no chance....I'd say, we'd just straight up smoke them in rugby....were big,fast, strong, etc...

Yeah, and rugby players are palefaced puny dweebs Undecided

nameno1had
Arctor wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
echecs06 wrote:
Kingpatzer wrote:

Yeah, and rugby players are palefaced puny dweebs 

With all do respect, the talent pool from which the US gets there NFL players is so deep and rich, just about all of them have talents that translate well, to most other similar sports, but they would be world class, at what ever they chose. Same with our NBA players. If people in the US cared about soccer the way the rest of the world cares about "their football" and those guys pursued soccer instead. We would be the dominate team...

Kingpatzer

Nameno1had, there's actually been experiments with soccer players and American football players "Switching sides" for practices. The results were that the American Football players simply didn't have the conditioning to run continuously, nor did they have the leg coordination to do much with the ball if they happened to get it. By contrast, the soccer players were unable to muster the power required during contact and lacked hand skills that are essential for skill positions. 

The notion that American football players would beat a world class soccer team at soccer is hillarious. The American football players wouldn't be on the pitch after the 1st period. 

Ex-parrot

But can soccer players play hockey?  No, in hockey diving is a penalty.

nameno1had
Kingpatzer wrote:

Nameno1had, there's actually been experiments with soccer players and American football players "Switching sides" for practices. The results were that the American Football players simply didn't have the conditioning to run continuously, nor did they have the leg coordination to do much with the ball if they happened to get it. By contrast, the soccer players were unable to muster the power required during contact and lacked hand skills that are essential for skill positions. 

The notion that American football players would beat a world class soccer team at soccer is hillarious. The American football players wouldn't be on the pitch after the 1st period. 

I am sure that is an accurate assessment for how they respond to the years of training for what the do respectively. Hands down, we still have the worlds greatest athletes in the NFL and the NBA...had they trained for continuous running, instead of training for 6 second bursts,as in the NFL, for example, I am sure you'd see a difference. I am sure soccer players would have adapted better to hand eye coordination if they practiced it... all that said I still stand by my statement...you are failing to realize a tactic if I was coach was simply to put all of you players on stretchers, even if mine slower less athletic guys get tossed, I am sure we could get the odds in our favor...