Forums

is there anyway to improve in 1 min games

Sort:
gaereagdag

Chance of linuxblue1 climbing Mt Everest: 1000000 to 1

Chance of linuxblue1 meeting Elvis: 100000000000 to 1

Chance of linuxblue1 scoring the winner in the final of the FA Cup: 100000000000000000 to 1

Chance of linuxblue1 getting to 2000 in bulletchess: 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to 1

royalbishop

Ouch!

gaereagdag

I am the worst bulletchess player in human history. Seriously. Any title even GM would not change that 1 bit. I cannot play bulletchess at all.

SmyslovFan

Your last statement seems to be literally true. You have not played a single bullet game here.

Elubas

Yes, but it's not necessarily because he is unable to.

Elubas

Well, there are people, for example OKC Thunder (bullet rating often around 2500) who could probably beat GM joey a fair amount of the time, and OKC lists his OTB rating only at about 2050 I believe.

There is undoubtedly strong correlation between OTB skill and bullet skill, but... let's just say it's not as high as the correlation between OTB skill and OTB skill Tongue Out. For each given OTB skill level there can be a fair amount of variance in the bullet ratings of those players.

gaereagdag

I tried to play bullet on FICS. My bullet life went like this over the 1 minute period:

seconds 1 - 5 : fling a pawn somewhere.

seconds 5-10: fling a piece somewhere

seconds 11-20: all my pieces are flinging, en prising, going crazy.

second 30: resign, smash monitor screen, throw mouse at wall or all 3.

You DO NOT want to see the screen if I attempt to play bullet. I was brought up with space invaders and Pacman and I may as well be playing them rather than bullet. It is VERY ugly.

gaereagdag

My tipping pt for quick chess is 3 minutes. I did win a 3 min no increment tourney once on FICS. But less than 3 and my mouse control just goes out the window. Believe me you don't want to see that.

RaleighRaine
linuxblue1 wrote:

I tried to play bullet on FICS. My bullet life went like this over the 1 minute period:

seconds 1 - 5 : fling a pawn somewhere.

seconds 5-10: fling a piece somewhere

seconds 11-20: all my pieces are flinging, en prising, going crazy.

second 30: resign, smash monitor screen, throw mouse at wall or all 3.

You DO NOT want to see the screen if I attempt to play bullet. I was brought up with space invaders and Pacman and I may as well be playing them rather than bullet. It is VERY ugly.

LOL. Laughing

Elubas

It's very common for me to be unaware of when I am up or down a piece. I can go through a whole game and only after looking back discover "I was up a rook this whole time? I just thought it was a piece trade!" It's a good substitute for the feeling of drunk chess I suppose! I can't even imagine what drunk bullet would be like...

gaereagdag

I also have long shaped fingers and hands. That is the worst thing to have for mouse control under extreme pressure.

I'd have to play bullet with some tool other than a mouse to have any chance of success.

gaereagdag
Elubas wrote:

It's very common for me to be unaware of when I am up or down a piece. I can go through a whole game and only after looking back discover "I was up a rook this whole time? I just thought it was a piece trade!" It's a good substitute for the feeling of drunk chess I suppose! I can't even imagine what drunk bullet would be like...

Ten green pawns

hanging on the wall

9 green pawns did accidentally fall

Now 8 green pawns hanging on the wall...

maDawson

I don't play bullet games but I will try to use common sense.

A good idea is to breakdown the reason you loose. I'm gonna assume it's usually making bluders. Where do blunders come from? Generally speaking for young players, blundering comes from breaking fundamental disciplines. 

So you'll want to play many games. Each game you make sure you apply  1 disciplined fundamental to be aware of. Keep playing games against people until you find you never mess up due to this specific disciplined error (it should be kneejerk to make the decision that supports the fundamental). Once you have mastered this, add a next principle to your game. Remeber, master one thing at a time don't try to jump to something before you have fixed what's broken.

Keep doing this. Remeber it's not a different game, it's still chess. It'll be a long road but there's a reason why there are many amateurs and few pros.

maDawson
[COMMENT DELETED]
royalbishop
linuxblue1 wrote:

I am the worst bulletchess player in human history. Seriously. Any title even GM would not change that 1 bit. I cannot play bulletchess at all.

In your defense some of those bullet players only play bullet chess or it is the majority of their games played. Also a bunch of sandbaggers. I joined a tournament in bullet chess and got crushed (50% of some of them had some super fast connection and too many multi accout users). I know this because i see the country of a player i beat has logged off then i see another player and declines challenge having the same country. And neither online at the same time. This happens often. I created some corny traps that will work only in bullet. I won with a couple games then all of suddent the next 20 games when i get a chance to use them all 20 avoid it. Same thing when i try it the next 2 days after trying it out in 20-30 games. So they got a good look at it. No way is that random. Bad part that is not enough physical proof. Just have to make adjustments as no matter what they still be that area one way or another.

I figure the only way to really improve at it is play as many games as the avg Bullet Chess player. That may be like 20-50 games a day.

gaereagdag

That has been the base with other blitz controls. I can only play good 3 or 5 minute blitz chess if I start only playing that. "Good" is relative; blitz still isn't my thing. I'm best at the long controls such as 45 45 or 90 30.