Forums

Need help developing a new chess study plan

Sort:
ipawnedmychessset

Alright, here's my situation...I haven't played chess in 15 months, just started back up 2 days ago, I just signed up for diamond membership again, and I want to get on a good study plan that will show the fastest improvement...yes, I know tactics, tactics, tactics, but besides doing countless hours of tactics with the tactics trainer, I need a detailed plan to continue my chess education. Prior to leaving chess for 15 months, I was just getting to the 6th book out of 7 in Lev Alburt's Comprehensive Chess Course, the last 2 books being 300 most important chess positions, and just the facts (which is all about the endgame). I was playing around 1450-1600 before, and I just got back and have only played blitz a few times, but still managed to beat some 1400-1450's, so I haven't lost all my chops at least. We'll see how that goes on though, as I play through some longer time limit games.

I would prefer someone outlining a chess mentor course for me, if someone would be so kind to take a little of their time out to help me, I'd really appreciate it. Also, recommend what path to go on, eg; concentrate on endgame, finish the endgame book I was getting to before I left and concentrate on that, choose a few new chess books that maybe cover a little of everything, etc. Thanks

VLaurenT

In order to know which path to take in your future study, you have to understand why you're losing games. If you can't do this analysis by yourself, it could be useful to ask a coach to help pinpoint your main weaknesses.

ipawnedmychessset
hicetnunc wrote:

In order to know which path to take in your future study, you have to understand why you're losing games. If you can't do this analysis by yourself, it could be useful to ask a coach to help pinpoint your main weaknesses.

I used to have a coach, but I can't afford one at the moment, and need to do a self study plan for a little while, so any other advice besides "get a coach" would be appreciated. Sorry didn't mean for that to come off as rude, I just need a more in depth approach to a self study plan, thanks though.

ipawnedmychessset
[COMMENT DELETED]
DeepGreene
There's always this!... http://www.chess.com/article/view/study-plan-directory :)
ipawnedmychessset
[COMMENT DELETED]
vanhafford

I'd first go and get my chess set back from the pawn shop!  Truthfully here's a study plan.  The P.Q.R.S.T. Method!  1). Record your games and preview all of them you play win,lose or draw...  2). Question the moves of Grandmasters/Masters to see if you are following the variations in your own games.  3) Review data and information on the three phrases of chess:Opening,Middlegame, and Endgame review.  After all this; then and only then are you really ready to study chess.  Test Yourself!  Solitaire Chess by National Master Bruce Pandolfini is a great way of testing yourself against the moves of Grandmasters and Masters.  The number one thing is to learn to love chess!  Confidence,and Self-Determination is paramount.  As the late Mikhail Tchigorin stated: "Never Resign!"  Happy Chessing Partner! 

VLaurenT
ipawnedmychessset wrote:
hicetnunc wrote:

I used to have a coach, but I can't afford one at the moment, and need to do a self study plan for a little while, so any other advice besides "get a coach" would be appreciated. Sorry didn't mean for that to come off as rude, I just need a more in depth approach to a self study plan, thanks though.

Then consider the 1st part of my answer Smile. If you really have no idea what to work on, chess.com study plan might be your best bet.