Forums

Polite way to suggest to an opponent that its time to resign ...

Sort:
__vxD_mAte

Is it polite to ask an opponent to resign a lost position? I thought of saying simply

"isn't it time?" 

sporefan_10

Everyone has his/her own way to say that. I don't, but you are able to say:

'RESIGN YOU *****'. I don't think many people do that, but everyone has his or her own way!!!

kwaloffer

It is disrespectful to ask an opponent to resign. Just mate him asap.

PrawnEatsPrawn
__vxD_mAte wrote:

Is it polite to ask an opponent to resign a lost position? I thought of saying simply

"isn't it time?" 

There's no polite way to do that. Requesting resignation is not part of the game.

Here's how I deal with it:

1. Grit teeth

2. Remain silent

3. Play to a finish

If it's a strong player then I assume they're taking the mickey and make a mental note, they don't get another game.

If it's a weak player, I usually just swallow it. Sooner or later, most weak players ask "Should I have resigned by now?", that's the point at which I have something (hopefully) instructional to say.

bigpoison

Something along the lines of, "Well, you probably should have resigned after 1. e4."

sftac

Why would your opponent care about your opinion? 

And any remarks during a game but especially of this character are apt to be distracting (and so, rather unfair if you're practicing good gamesmanship).

sftac

ps.  You could also be mistaken (I certainly have been), and find yourself mated a few moves later, even though you'd been a Queen up or whatever.

mecky

YO I just heard there's this button on the left that stops your suffering.

uri65

There is no way to do it in OTB game of course.  What I did couple of times in correspondence chess - in completely won position while taking yet another of his pieces I would send him a comment: "Chess is fun, isn't it?". To my surprise it worked!

hschess

Yeah, sometimes frustrating, but you know, I have played a couple of games out as a beginner not knowing I should quit.  It was good experience and it is possible to win even tho someone might think you won't.  So, for all you beginners out there, don't be intimidated!  If you have a game going and a few moves left, try it out.  I'm still learning and have actually surprised a couple of better players who thought they had me in a corner.

But if you know it's hopeless, end it as painlessly as possible and maybe your opponent will play you again later.

Skwerly

not a bit!  nobody has to resign, in any position.  while it may be annoying to play on when you are completely trouncing the guy, it's still up to you to *prove* you can carry out the win - and not stalemate him in the process.  as they say, the hardest game to win is a won game.

Unicyclist

Just play it out. If it's a won game, then it's won. However, you have to make your opponent believe it too. I've never done tournament play (although I plan to in February) but I think that, at least at the lower levels of play, say, Class C and below, that you play for the W rather than resign immediately. Blunders happen often at the lower levels. Personally I think resignation in tournament play is silly. You either checkmate your opponent, you get mated, or you draw.

Ingvarok

It's disrespectful not to resign if you are losing and have no chance of winning (ex you have no chance of checkmating and you are down 2 rooks.) I don't think it's disrespectful to ask someone, "to please resign and have respect to your opponent". 

It's not the best option but sometimes when you have 3days/move it can take weeks to checkmate someone if they just make 1 move per 3 days. 

TheOldReb
Unicyclist wrote:

Just play it out. If it's a won game, then it's won. However, you have to make your opponent believe it too. I've never done tournament play (although I plan to in February) but I think that, at least at the lower levels of play, say, Class C and below, that you play for the W rather than resign immediately. Blunders happen often at the lower levels. Personally I think resignation in tournament play is silly. You either checkmate your opponent, you get mated, or you draw.

I guess this makes all the top players silly then.... Undecided

Violets_are_blue
Ingvarok wrote:

It's disrespectful not to resign if you are losing and have no chance of winning (ex you have no chance of checkmating and you are down 2 rooks.) I don't think it's disrespectful to ask someone, "to please resign and have respect to your opponent". 

It's not the best option but sometimes when you have 3days/move it can take weeks to checkmate someone if they just make 1 move per 3 days. 

If you don't want to or can't play full games then don't start.

I think it's extremely arrogant to ask your opponent to give up. It's none of your business.

Ingvarok
Violets_are_blue wrote:
Ingvarok wrote:

I think it's extremely arrogant to ask your opponent to give up. It's none of your business.

Look at the comment above yours, why do the masters always resign when they are down? Because they know that they are going to lose. If you are not resigning in a losing position then that means either:

a.) You have no respect to your opponent and the traditions of the game

b.) You are a rookie who does not know how to play and does not know when to resign

Lokaz
Violets_are_blue wrote:
Ingvarok wrote:

In my opinion this statement pretty much sums it up.

Your opponent has a right to play on, and whether the attempt is futile (e.g: a bare king against two rooks), it's just plain rude to tell your opponent to stop playing.

Just play chess.

Violets_are_blue
Ingvarok wrote:
Violets_are_blue wrote:
Ingvarok wrote:

Look at the comment above yours, why do the masters always resign when they are down? Because they know that they are going to lose. If you are not resigning in a losing position then that means either:

b.) You are a rookie who does not know how to play and does not know when to resign

Ok so not resigning would make me a bad player. Asking someone to resign, that makes one a bad person. I respect the game first, then the opponent. You do the same, I'm not sensing you respect either.

TheOldReb

I never tell someone who is lost to resign but I do sometimes ask them if they are playing for a win or a draw now ? Some get the message , some don't and some are just hopeless anyway.... 

Ingvarok

Violets_are_blue

I did not say a "bad player", I said it makes you look like a rookie . 

I always have respect to my opponents in the sense that if I am losing a game I will not wait until i get checkmated, I will resign instead. 

Some of the replies that I got when I politely asked some people were, "you are right, want a rematch" but some are hopeless and get very pissed off, but it's their problem not mine. 

KyleMayhugh
Ingvarok wrote:
Violets_are_blue wrote:
Ingvarok wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right. It is wrong both to not resign in hopeless positions and to try to convince an opponent to resign.