Forums

Relationship between Chess rating and I.Q?

Sort:
awesomechess1729
AlCzervik wrote:

Math rules.

Agreed.

medspex
[COMMENT DELETED]
zborg

Nah.  There's a parallell multiverse.  Deal with it.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/chess-and-iq-intelligence?page=32

uwinagain

I am clever, so how come I'm not very good?? Wink

_pl_

I think the first score that you receive on an IQ test without ever doing a test or training before is a score that will have a very strong correlation with your chess rating potential. If anything I think your chess rating formula is a bit genorous to be fair. However there is a few things to take in consideration. The brain can develop and become more effecient, so one rating or score is not for life. If you know how to develop your mind this can change a lot. And one other thing, children that learn chess early increase their chess potential to a much greater extent than others. The interesting thing to see is if the childrens IQ:s increase as their chess skills improve. I can say quite confidently that it probably does.

patzermike

Intelligence is a quality, not a quantity. Only when there is a gross difference does it make sense to say that A is smarter than B. Who was smarter? Bobby Fischer, Michelangelo, Bach, or Shakespeare? I call it a dumb and meaningless question.

doppelgangsterII

No correlation.  I have a very low IQ but I'm a fantastically highly rated chess player...no wait, maybe it was the other way around  - no that's not right either.  I think there is kind of a formula where everything is balanced -  at first your IQ and rating stay the same then as one goes up the other goes down.  Yeah I think that is it.  When my IQ was really really high my chess was lousy then as my chess got better my IQ went down.  When I started playing crappy chess again I think my IQ started getting better but I couldn't tell for sure.

LegendLength

I'm sure it's been said before in this 500 post thread, but in my opinion IQ tests can be learned fairly easily.  I have tried a couple recently and noticed very similar questions between the different websites that offer them for free.

The questions often follow a similar format.  For example you have 3 diagrams where the shapes change in a certain way.  Often it is rotation or translation of its parts.  So if you've done that before you can often just check for rotation and consequently solve it in a few seconds giving a massive boost to the final IQ score.  The tests are timed in case some readers didn't know (I didn't).

_pl_

Actually it is proven that it is a correlation between IQ and chess. I read in a book written by a neuroscientist about an experiment conductd with adult students. The experiment went on for several years and the assignment was as follows: Pick one task, for example playing chess, dancing, walking etc for one hour a day every day for your entire college stay. The students IQ:s was tested before the experiment started and when the experiment was over it was tested again. It turned out that the students that played chess one hour each day increased their IQ the most and those who didn't experienced little or no improvement at all altough dancing also showed a slight improvement. This is because it mixes excericise and the memorization of dance moves apparently. I will look up the books name and post it here when I find it... Btw the test was conducted with several thousand students.

ponz111

Maybe an inverse relationship? [judging by some of the comments on various threads]

uwinagain
Wernher-von-Braun wrote:

Naturally those with a "modest" rating hate to admit the truth, lol.

And those with a high rating like to think that's the truth! lol

ponz111

What is a "modest" rating and in what kind of chess?

SmyslovFan

1658, in bullet.

ponz111

what for people who do not play bullet?

TheGreatOogieBoogie

You have to take study into account too.  Let's say you give the 130 IQ and 150 IQ beginner the same materials, but the 130 IQ guy has longer time to study.  Depending on how much more time the 130 IQ guy would win more often, but obviously if they had the same time the 150 IQ guy would simply be better. 

uwinagain

People with high ratings... please try to get over yourselves!

Just because you are good at chess does not mean you are exceptionally intelligent!

Just because you know how to use a paint brush, that doesn't make you Michael Angelo.. Undecided

Feufollet

Einstein played chess...it is said that he did not care for the competitive aspect of the game...fortunately, it would have been a big loss for humanity, otherwise

Perhaps, batgirl could do a piece on Einstein and his relationship with chess?

Hyper-Gamma-Spaces

uwinagain wrote:

People with high ratings... please try to get over yourselves!

Just because you are good at chess does not mean you are exceptionally intelligent!

Just because you know how to use a paint brush, that doesn't make you Michael Angelo.. 

Uwinagain: live chesss standard: 790

Online chess: 1167

Tactics: 1047

Need I say more?

Feufollet

No seriously, get over yourselves.

There's more to a human being than chess ratings.

Feufollet

Thanks for your response Werner. It is very interesting this quote what " he hated about chess was that you could put a tremendous amount of work into building up a beautiful position, only to have it all destroyed by a single innacuracy."

The game on youtube you linked, I saw also...but many believe that this in fact is not Einstein's game....that's why I hope batgirl takes on the challenge in elucidating the veracity of this claim!