Forums

Stefan Levitsky vs Frank Marshall, 1912: One of the most beautiful moves ever

Sort:
itsjoeyc

thanks ChristianSoldier007 !!

StrategicPlay

pfren is like one who criticizes everything but never appreciates anything.

And I criticized your opinions right now.

StrategicPlay
pfren wrote:

While extremely impressive, 23...Qg3! is hardly unique: 23...Qe3! is equally strong (but less impressive), and also Black has four more "pedestrian" ways to win.

23. ... Qe3! doesn't force a mate if White defends his Queen and moves it.

shepi13
Nongxha wrote:

Marshall 21 move was Rh6.

I would have played Rxf!!.

grapecheese44

i dont know how that is a good move. why didn'y he take the queen

K2a2

Beautiful move, but I still consider Shirov's Bh3 (as black in the position below) against Topalov in Linares 98 the most amazing move of all time. It gives me goosebumps every time I see it. I would give a new symbol to that move instead of using a handful of exclamation marks :)

YallPlayCheckers

:)

shepi13

raul72

What player in his right mind would have bet on Levitsky. Marshall was one of the top ten in the world. He had played Lasker for the world championship. He didnt do too well but only the elite play for the champiopnship. When Estragon says Levitsky won the Russian championship---the Russian championship was a zero, nada,  a nothing event in those days.

The tournament tables of Breslau 1912 tells a story. Levitsky finished towards the bottom and Marshall finished towards the top.  Everybody remembers Marshall--- and Levitsky is only footnote in chess history.

I very seriously believe the locals were not that stupid. Besides, didnt Carrie, his wife, say the story was ficticious.

Wink

rockstar_deepan1

fantastic move:)

raul72

There was no "top ten" in those days. Marshall had one credible finish in international play in San Sebastian the year before, but other than that nothing to distinguish himself, while Levitsky had been playing high level tournaments for a dozen years and turned in several good results.

If the spectators were fans of Levitsky, placing side bets on him would not have been unusual at the time. Of course, it is just not possible that a husband would forget to tell his wife about the extra money he made gambling, even if she disapproved of the habit.

There is no doubt the legend of spectators spontaneously showering the board with gold pieces is untrue, but most legends have at least some grain of truth in their origins, and the exaggeration of a bet being paid off into an appreciation of the beauty of the move seems not much of a stretch.

Estragon, lets take your points ---one at a time---

Of course Estragon, there was a top ten in those days and most serious players today could name them. My top ten might differ from someone else but, in general, they would be the same---Lasker, Capablanca, Rubinstein etc.

Marshall would be in many players top ten. If you should say Levitsky is in your top ten they would say "Levitsky who?" Levitsky played most of his life in Russian tournaments---the bush leagues!  He did play in a few big tournaments and was always the rabbit finishing in the bottom of the tournament and being on the wrong end of spectacular combinations. Most big tournaments had a rabbit or two---and believe pal---nobody bet on them. Marshall won several big tournaments, Cambridge Springs 1904 comes immediately to mind.

Are you telling me Carrie Fischer wouldnt have known if her husband had some extra spending money in his pocket?  Of course she would have known---they were ultra close. How many masters took their wives with them to foreign chess tournaments?

There were several elite players at Breslau 1912 ---Duras, Rubinstein, Teichmann, Schlechter, Tarrasch, Speilmann, Mieses, Burn etc., etc.

Why didnt any of these players mention this in their books or writings? Was showering the board with gold pieces so common they felt it was unnecessary to mention it. Most of  the masters were dirt poor and the spectators who attended the tournament that day were probably even poorer. I doubt very seriously if anyone was throwing gold pieces around but---its a free country and people can believe what they want to believe. Surprised

wyh2013

i take my stand with amrita1

cracko

wow!! brilliant!!  thank you very much.

chessolite

this is really turning out to be a very good forum

Dodger111

I've seen this game mentioned in books many times. It is one of the most shocking moves ever made, how could anyone even start to consider it is amazing.

thumbelinamilestone

...but it does make you wonder, given the same position and not seen any of this, how many of us would see 23.....Qg3!,Undecided?

chessvinura

what a grate move by marshall !!! 

pawntoss

Marshall was a beast (Alpha)-(to have such insight on the chessboard is astonishing). Chances are that anyone else in the world would have missed this winning combination...... Yes / No?!  __Point, if you think you are ready to take on today's top chess players, maybe, you need to seek counseling for whatever ills you - Ha - Ha ........ No Laughing Matter!