Forums

Taking a draw to knockout other opponents in a tourney??

Sort:
Immoney5252

A Dilemma!!!

I'm currently in a tournament which I'm currently in second place with 3points...(The leader has 4)...we're in our end game and I have the advantage with all other games already completed in the group...

If I win....I will also have 4 points and the 3rd, 4th place players will have 2 points each advancing the whole group(No Tie Breaks)/ but If I lose I'm still in...

So my ??? to all of you is... would you take a DRAW to a Higher Rated player, subsequently knocking out out two other opponents or play it out and attempt to advance the whole group..

-God Speed

theunsjb

"There are no pacts between lions and men".  Play for the win!  Cool

luckypatzer

Play for the win. Always play for the win.

Cystem_Phailure

Discussion of ongoing games is forbidden.

Soliciting advice for ongoing games is cheating, and is very forbidden.  The fact that you are discussing tournament strategy rather than moves makes no difference.

Immoney5252

I appreciate your concern....but I already know what Im going to do and thats "WIN"....Cystem_Phailure!!! 

Cystem_Phailure

The problem with bringing up something like this is that there's no way for people to know whether the questioner has been influenced or not.  You asked a question, 2 people gave the same advice, and now you say that's what you were going to do anyway.  Who can tell?  And this issue directly affects the tournament fate of 2 other players.  That's why ongoing games shouldn't be discussed in the forums, aside from general whining like "I have 6 Queens and my opponent won't resign" or something unrelated to the ultimate outcome of the game.

Immoney5252

Who am I...The Auburn football team...I don't take a dive nor shave points!!! Its a tight grouping and we all deserve to advance!!! I would like to put your mind at ease and inform you that considering the 1st place opponent took the first  game ...I'm a LION and going for blood.....!!!!

Lastly, nobody is going to make me feel like an after school special and make me succumb to peer pressure with their feeling on the matter....

once again appreciate the concern/ comment!!!

Cystem_Phailure
Immoney5252 wrote:

I would like to put your mind at ease

My mind was never not at ease.  I don't care about your tournament or games.

I was informing you of a rule, but you don't care about abiding by the rule because you think claiming virtuous intentions eliminates your need to comply.

Fair enough.  Do as you will.  But don't be surprised if some future opponent reports you for similar behavior someday and you end up not liking the outcome.

deeMannn

I think that you should play for the win.  Chess for the most part is not a group sport unless you are playing with your group.  Also you have to look at your game and the position you are in against your opponent.  Question to ask yourself can i win? then go for it. 2nd am I losing? Then to try for draw.  Remeber always go for the GOLD!!!

nameno1had

If someone in the group p!$$ed in your corn flakes, you need to keep revenge ideas to yourself. I make it a point to never create collateral damage, if I am trying to take it out someone in anything.

I think also you need to consider how you would want someone else to treat you, if you are "putty" in their hands.

Immoney5252

Ok the game just finished and I WON!!!!

Immoney5252
Estragon wrote:
Cystem_Phailure wrote:
Immoney5252 wrote:

I would like to put your mind at ease

My mind was never not at ease.  I don't care about your tournament or games.

I was informing you of a rule, but you don't care about abiding by the rule because you think claiming virtuous intentions eliminates your need to comply.

Fair enough.  Do as you will.  But don't be surprised if some future opponent reports you for similar behavior someday and you end up not liking the outcome.

This is quite correct.  You may not solicit advice even if it is general strategy while a game is ongoing. 

The ONLY exception is in a team match, in which players may consult with their team captain on match strategy as it applies to their games. 

My appologies to all those in the chess community....who felt I was braking any rules of ongoing games...there was never any intent to solicit any advice on strategy etc.

I just wanted to strike up  conversation of a situation which I thought was unique...nonetheless the game has commenced and I will learn from this and not repeat my mistakes...

-God speed

browni3141

Hmm, this doesn't seem unethical at all to me. I wouldn't have thought it was against the rules either.

To answer the OP's original question, I wouldn't play for a result to try to get others in the tournament group to advance. Worry about your own advancement. If a draw in a tournament game guarentees your advancement or overall victory, then it would be a good thing, even if your ahead in your game.

Cystem_Phailure
browni3141 wrote:

Hmm, this doesn't seem unethical at all to me. I wouldn't have thought it was against the rules either.

The rules are very clear-- to most people.