Forums

The most expensive chess set in the world

Sort:
Statnov

Hi, guys! You have already seen "cool" chess sets made from gold, diamonds...

But gold is cold, diamonds are dead. There is something more interesting. There are chess sets made from 2000 year old bog oak inlaid with 45 million year old rare russian amber. Its made by "Emelyanov and sons" in Russia.  What do you think about it? Thanks. Evgeny Statnov The most expensive chess set in the world

nlazarov

that is simply wonderful. this image will be my desktop for a while

traylen

agreed!Cool

oliebol

Actually, I prefer a set carved from 40,000 year old ivory from a wooly mammoth.

KingPan

wow, cool chess sets!

Statnov

Yep! The Ivory above is awesome! Well, Check out this one again from 45 million year old amber inlaid into wooden board!amber board

antipodesman

I prefer a quality weighted plastic set.  They feel great and have nice colour.  It will outlast me and the price is right.

whammydiver

the amber is absolutely the most beautiful set i've ever seen.  the mammoth tusk is also spectacular, but the depth of colour and subtle varitions in patterns on the board in the amber set are incredible. 

Great find.  I will own one of these as soon as i become the CEO of a multinational, then break it up and sell it for parts....

laporte

most expensive chess set ?

you never say the price, so it cannot be the most expensive, since it does not have a price. end of discussion ;)

ADK

That's interesting!

ADK

Skeptikill

its nice set! but i much prefer playing with basic plastic board and pieces! i find it hard to concentrate on funky, weird or unusual board and pieces.

TrebleChess

Stunning...and I'd probably forget to play the game lol Tongue out

Ray_Brooks

For those of you that missed it first time around:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/the-worlds-most-expensive-chess-sets

"Valued at over £5 million ($9.8m USD), this single chess set is the most expensive and exquisite game set of any kind in the world. Constructed of gold and platinum, it contains diamonds, emeralds, rubies, pearls and sapphires. The king piece alone weighs 165.2 grams of 18 carat yellow gold and has a spiraling mid-section graced by 73 rubies and 146 diamonds."

stanhope13

something to play with.

TheGrobe
laporte wrote:most expensive chess set ?

you never say the price, so it cannot be the most expensive, since it does not have a price. end of discussion ;)

I don't follow your logic -- not stating the price means that the board can't possibly be the most expensive?  I'll grant that the claim may need verification, but this would also be the case even if the price were posted.

Beautiful sets though -- the second amber set in particular.

MBickley
TJSaltdog wrote:
antipodesman wrote:

I prefer a quality weighted plastic set.  They feel great and have nice colour.  It will outlast me and the price is right.

I here that. What gets me is how do they know its 45 million years old?

Radiometric dating.  Basically there are certain types of unstable atoms that formed when the amber was still in the tree that change (decay) into stable atoms.  This happens at a fairly steady rate, so scientists simply look at how far along the decay process is to figure out how old it is.  Try to imagine looking at an hourglass and trying to figure out how long ago it was flipped over, its basically the same thing except with cool lab equipment.

ewanyengi

I know a guy whos got one with pieces made out of a unicorns horn...he got it d.n.a. tested and everything

scuttlebutt94

WOW i wish i had that

Bob1

Cute story ewanyengi, but real unicorns dont exist!

Statnov
TheGrobe wrote:
laporte wrote:most expensive chess set ?

I don't follow your logic -- not stating the price means that the board can't possibly be the most expensive?  I'll grant that the claim may need verification, but this would also be the case even if the price were posted.

Beautiful sets though -- the second amber set in particular.

These chess sets from Amber have something more then a regular price (money). They also have a mental value - art value, because they are designed by genious artists and designers and made from realy unique materials.

Note, that Eveone CAN make a chess set from gold...b-o-r-i-n-g.                      BUT there is only one maker in the world that can create such amber sets according to a technological process allowing wood to be inlaid with amber.     It sounds strange, but Indeed, it was impossible for all chess makers for many years,  to inlay wood with amber because of the differences of phisical characteristics of these two materials, amber just could not be inside wood, it poped out every time when the surrounding temperature was changing. So.. It means that this only master Emelyanov Alexander figured out what to do and patented method of amber inlays. There is something even more interesting then the price which is defenetly the most high! Did you know that amber is a fossiized sap of trees that grew many millions ago - and when the sap was driping down the tree branches it got different plant life inside, like moscitos and insects and stuff, so amber is not a stone or a rock, its not cold, when you see close, you can notice fossilized plants and insects and sometimes lizards inside the amber.lizard in amberchess pieces. I am attaching a photo.