We Abolish Stalemate! Today!

Monster_with_no_Name

Stalemate is a communist idea... "you can't move (work)? No problem we split the points".
It makes chess drawish, bland, boring. From today we change the rule to "capture the king", and end this stalemate nonsense once and for all.

If you can't move... your clock runs out (anyhow you look at it -- stalemate makes no sense)

Laskersnephew

This is some of the worst trolling I've seen here: just clumsy and dumb

Reuben_Sammitch

According to chess historian Henry A. Davidson, the concept of stalemate as a draw originated in 14th C Italy, and spread through most of Europe in the following centuries.

At various times and places, stalemate has been considered a win or half-win for the attacking side, a win for the defender, disallowed altogether, and a forfeited move for the defender (resulting in consecutive turns for the attacker!).

talapia

Embrace communism, it is desperate woman, having been spurned by China in favor of mercantilism.

josephyossi
Laskersnephew wrote:

This is some of the worst trolling I've seen here: just clumsy and dumb

+1

m_connors

Yes, end stalemate by saying, "With the advantage of position and possibly material, you could not successfully checkmate my King; therefore, you lose." Yes, yes, I like that concept - good one. You, of course, looked at it from the wrong perspective. It obviously should be, you lose when you cannot win.

Caesar49bc

Stalemate is ingrained into chess. No serious chessplayer would contemplate changing it.

There are countless tactics/combination problems ranging from beginner to grandmaster level where the solution is to force a stalemate from a position that looks like the other side is about to deliver checkmate.

Monster_with_no_Name

Chess should be "capture the king".

Not the weird "checkmate.. your king can't move without being captured"

Monster_with_no_Name

gf3

concur abolish the stale . . . also #9 is just stale comedy imo

Monster_with_no_Name

You're a leftie?   xD

JustARandomPatzer

Monster_with_no_Name wrote:

Chess should be "capture the king".

Not the weird "checkmate.. your king can't move without being captured"

... No.

lfPatriotGames
Monster_with_no_Name wrote:

Chess should be "capture the king".

Not the weird "checkmate.. your king can't move without being captured"

What difference does it make? If it makes you feel better, capture the king. When you checkmate someone, just tell them they have to move their king into check (again). then you can capture it. You might get some strange looks if it's in  a tournament though.

LucasInn
Monster_with_no_Name wrote:

Stalemate is a communist idea... "you can't move (work)? No problem we split the points".
It makes chess drawish, bland, boring. From today we change the rule to "capture the king", and end this stalemate nonsense once and for all.

If you can't move... your clock runs out (anyhow you look at it -- stalemate makes no sense)

Stalemate actually do. For one reason, even if you (or your opponent) IS stuck in some kind of stalemate, then you had to sit there and wait till the clock runs out! What'll happen when there's a 30 minute remaining! Besides, this will break the balance and purpose of the entire game!

Although I do have a better point of changing it: Give the player checking his/her opponent another chance: Undo the last step, and think of a better way!

LucasInn
m_connors wrote:

Yes, end stalemate by saying, "With the advantage of position and possibly material, you could not successfully checkmate my King; therefore, you lose." Yes, yes, I like that concept - good one. You, of course, looked at it from the wrong perspective. It obviously should be, you lose when you cannot win.

So both sides lose when one of them resigns?

hakkyakky28

I think abolishing stalemate is the communist idea! OP isn't good enough to earn a win themselves so they want a revolution to change the rules and have it handed to them. That sounds pretty communist to me...

Saint_Anne

What are you going to abolish next?  Bishops?

Napoleon-Blownapart

stalemate is communist and white moves first is racist. did we miss anything ?

Monster_with_no_Name

You put yourself in such a bad corner you can't even make a legal move... so I have to split 1/2 my point with you. (Sounds pretty communist to me). Also the responsibility is on me to make sure you king has moves... it's like welfare payments.

Napoleon-Blownapart

stalemate ends the game as a draw sounds more like a directive from Downing Street or Brussels to me.