x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

What are the best books to improve from 1900 to 2200 in less than a year

  • #1

    i know that a year WONT do it but im willing to study chess 12 HOURS PER DAY until JUNE and afterwards its of to:

    MAX: 8 HOURS

    MIN: 2 HOURS

    can anyone pls help me? SUGGESTIONS FROM TITLED PLAYERS AND 2200 ABOVE OTB RATED PLAYER ARE VERY HELPFUL

    FIDE RATING: NONE

    NATIONAL RATING: 1905

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE !

  • #2

    I start off with a few

    1. Simple Chess (written by Michael Stean)

    2. GM-RAM (this one needs a coach to guide you along)

    3. Nunn's Chess Endings (learning chess endgames)

  • #3

    4. Chess strategy in Action

    5. Dvoretsky's Analytical Manual (quite heavy going, so need someone to help you)

    6. A strategic opening repertoire for white (to start you off on building a basic repertoire, alternatively get a coach)

  • #4

    if it wont bother you at all can you tell me WHAT IS YOUR FIDE RATING AND YOUR NATIONAL RATING ?

    thank you very much though for the very useful suggestions but........ are these also helpful:

    1. solve tactical puzzles with CT-ART 4; GOAL- to solve 1000 PUZZLES A DAY.

    2. avoid playing BLITZ GAMES and play LONG GAMES AGAINST COMPUTERS instead

       also can you help me in finding the BEST OPENING BOOKS ?

    THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE !

     - Terence

  • #5

    The title of this post is "what are the best BOOKS", not how to improve (which you asked in another post).

    I am an IM (not in US so no point asking me National Rating).

  • #6

    oh im very sorry, but can you atleast decide if these suggestions are helpful or no since i badly need to improve my games to new heights since our NATIONAL U14 and NATIONAL KIDDIE CHAMPIONSHIPS are getting CLOSER and CLOSER.

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH. and my apologies for having multiple posts about this since, as i said, i badly needed to improve.

    THANK YOU AGAIN IN ADVANCE

  • #7

    I have been training youngsters for some time. The difficulties is to raise the level in the three main areas, Opening, middle-game and ending. Divide the hours in a day available and devote x number to each part. Stick to your schedule

    1. Get a book with many tactical puzzles. Set a target to go through x number a day. Set each puzzle on a board and attempt to solve it in x minutes. it will be difficult at first. Do as much as you can and then consult the solution. How far off are you? At the beginning you might see some of the moves but missed the finish (you will understand what I mean once you started this for a while).

    2. Get an ending book and go through the basic endings using book and board. You need to play it out and read the author's comments. After a while you will have an understanding of the ending. After you have done this for the basic endings, play through a typical endgame position (from a book or from actual games) with a friend. If you cannot find a friend to help you, use a computer (dumb it down first).

    3. It is very difficult to improve middle-game without a coach help. Read those books I recommend. Play through them and try to understand why such and such move is played. Concepts such as open files, pawn islands , pawn and square weaknesses etc etc should be explained in these books on middle-game.

    4. Now try to play online games , start with 30 minutes games and move on to faster time control such as 5 minutes. Apply what you have learned above. Then study each game and try to see why you lost or won.

    This is the most basic I can explain to help you.

  • #8

    THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH !

    but i still have some more questions:

    1. can the said tactics books be CT-ART ?

    2. what OPENING BOOKS for BLACK can you recommend ?

    3. cant i start off with first FINISHING TACTICS before starting ENDGAMES and FINISHING THIS BEFORE STARTING THAT, etc.

    4. and can i substitute the online games with FRITZ 12 instead and limiting its strength 2200 elo since i dont feel like waiting for hours in the computer for someone who challenge me once.

    AGAIN THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. I HOPE YOU WONT GET IRRITATED WITH MY QUESTIONS. I THINK IM JUST THAT KIND OF GUY.

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

  • #9
    FutureWCChampion9000 schreef:

    i know that a year WONT do it but im willing to study chess 12 HOURS PER DAY until JUNE and afterwards its of to:

    MAX: 8 HOURS

    MIN: 2 HOURS

    can anyone pls help me? SUGGESTIONS FROM TITLED PLAYERS AND 2200 ABOVE OTB RATED PLAYER ARE VERY HELPFUL

    All nine Yusupov books, first the three orange books, then the blue, then the green. With that amount of time you can do one chapter per day and really get to the bottom of the positions you got wrong. It's 9*25 chapters, so if you take the weekends off to play tournaments it's 45 weeks. The books are a mix of tactics, positional play, endgames and a little bit of openings, designed to contain all the subjects a strong player needs to know about.

    In the orange books, the tactical chapters will probably seem easy but the positional ones will be hard. The green books are at 2200-2300 level and will be very hard, but that's the way to improve.

    I am convinced that you will be a much stronger player after doing this, while I have my doubts about just doing a year of CT-ART and some books.

    You can do it!

  • #10
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #11

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, kikvors ive tried that already too, but that was before and i did at a fast rate so maybe i didnt understand the green ones.

    say, can i ask you if i can skip the orange and blue ones and head right straight to green ones which you said were advanced ?

    THANK YOU AGAIN kikvors, but can i ask for your FIDE/NATIONAL rating if it wont bother you ?

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

  • #12

    1. can the said tactics books be CT-ART ? Yes

    2. what OPENING BOOKS for BLACK can you recommend ? Any repertoire book e.g A Rock-Solid Chess Opening Repertoire for Black , AN EXPLOSIVE CHESS OPENING REPERTOIRE FOR BLACK etc,

    3. cant i start off with first FINISHING TACTICS before starting ENDGAMES and FINISHING THIS BEFORE STARTING THAT, etc. I do not recommend that. As I said, you need to raise different aspects of the game at around the same time. And you need to practice what you learnt at the same time, not after you finished everything.

    4. and can i substitute the online games with FRITZ 12 instead and limiting its strength 2200 elo since i dont feel like waiting for hours in the computer for someone who challenge me once. Yes you can but I would put the strength to below 2200 (say 2000) for this to be useful.

  • #13
    FutureWCChampion9000 schreef:

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, kikvors ive tried that already too, but that was before and i did at a fast rate so maybe i didnt understand the green ones.

    say, can i ask you if i can skip the orange and blue ones and head right straight to green ones which you said were advanced ?

    THANK YOU AGAIN kikvors, but can i ask for your FIDE/NATIONAL rating if it wont bother you ?

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

    I'm 2040 FIDE (and also doing this, but I only have 20 minutes per day...), but I'm just following the advice of people like Aagaard who thinks these books are more important than his own.

    No, you can't do the green ones and skip the orange and blue ones, there are no shortcuts, you'll miss very basic skills.

    You say you "already tried" the books though? Did you really do as Yusupov says, so did you use board and pieces, play through every variation by hand, pass all the exercises etc? For how long did you try it?

  • #14
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #15

    Carl Friedrich Gauss was once asked by his protegee, the King of Hannover to explain to him what Mathematics does, in one afternoon.

    He answered

    Sire, there is no Kings way to Mathematics.

    ...

    There is no book that helps you to jump from 1900 to 2200 rating in one year.

    The books of Mark Dvoretski and of Artur Jussupov are the best modern books that exist .

    From the older ones the first that come to my mind are

    Tournament 1953 , with comments of Bronstein and others,

    The chess heritage of Aliekhine, by A. Kotov, with comments of Aliekhine and the  author.

  • #16

    MEN JIMLIEW, YOUR THE BEST !

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

    but i still have some questions:

    1. are KIKVOR'S suggestion also for you very helpful ?

    2. im still confused about my question in #3 since i read that silman once recommend the said FINISH FIRST BEFORE STARTING ANOTHER and that JUMPING FROM ONE BOOK TO ANOTHER WONT GET YOU ANYWHERE. what can you say about his idea ?

    but still i would still trust you and go on to what you have recommended, i just want your view about silman's view.

    THANK YOU AGAIN VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE

    - Terence

  • #17
    schlechter55 wrote:

    Carl Friedrich Gauss was once asked by his protegee, the King of Hannover to explain to him what Mathematics does, in one afternoon.

    He answered

    Sire, there is no Kings way to Mathematics.

    ...

    There is no book that helps you to jump from 1900 to 2200 rating in one year.

    The books of Mark Dvoretski and of Artur Jussupov are the best modern books that exist .

    From the older ones the first that come to my mind are

    Tournament 1953 , with comments of Bronstein and others,

    The chess heritage of Aliekhine, by A. Kotov, with comments of Aliekhine and the  author.

    oh sorry, i thought that 12 hours a day would suffice. whats your OTB RATING, btw if it wont bother you ?

    THANK YOU ALSO FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS.

  • #18
    TetsuoShima wrote:
    jimliew58 wrote:

    1. can the said tactics books be CT-ART ? Yes

    2. what OPENING BOOKS for BLACK can you recommend ? Any repertoire book e.g A Rock-Solid Chess Opening Repertoire for Black , AN EXPLOSIVE CHESS OPENING REPERTOIRE FOR BLACK etc,

    3. cant i start off with first FINISHING TACTICS before starting ENDGAMES and FINISHING THIS BEFORE STARTING THAT, etc. I do not recommend that. As I said, you need to raise different aspects of the game at around the same time. And you need to practice what you learnt at the same time, not after you finished everything.

    4. and can i substitute the online games with FRITZ 12 instead and limiting its strength 2200 elo since i dont feel like waiting for hours in the computer for someone who challenge me once. Yes you can but I would put the strength to below 2200 (say 2000) for this to be useful.

    why would play fritz 12 ?? you need to get to know the playstyle of humans to compete.

    well yeah i would choose humans over computers but i dont have any partners so - GO FOR THE MACHINES !!!!!

  • #19

    misread..

  • #20
    kikvors wrote:
    FutureWCChampion9000 schreef:

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, kikvors ive tried that already too, but that was before and i did at a fast rate so maybe i didnt understand the green ones.

    say, can i ask you if i can skip the orange and blue ones and head right straight to green ones which you said were advanced ?

    THANK YOU AGAIN kikvors, but can i ask for your FIDE/NATIONAL rating if it wont bother you ?

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

    I'm 2040 FIDE (and also doing this, but I only have 20 minutes per day...), but I'm just following the advice of people like Aagaard who thinks these books are more important than his own.

    No, you can't do the green ones and skip the orange and blue ones, there are no shortcuts, you'll miss very basic skills.

    You say you "already tried" the books though? Did you really do as Yusupov says, so did you use board and pieces, play through every variation by hand, pass all the exercises etc? For how long did you try it?

    thank you for answering quickly kikrov, yes i did did it as yusupov advices it but that was way back before and i probably tackled every lesson for 30 minutes but now i would try to follow your suggestion and read again once more.

    THANK YOU AGAIN.

Online Now