Who has the most "super tournament" wins?

JoachimH
I was trying to find a list of players throughout history who have the highest number of "super tournament" wins but couldn't find anything on the internet. Does any body know of a list? I appreciate that this isn't so simple as "super tournament" is not really an official thing, but would be very grateful if someone could offer any links or information!
ChessOath

I assume Karpov but I don't really have a clue and I wouldn't know how to check.

jod200

I am a Muslim. .İslam is perfect.. But I am . not..lf ..I make a mistake Do not blame Islam. .But blame me..

JoachimH

ChessOath wrote:

I assume Karpov but I don't really have a clue and I wouldn't know how to check.

That was also my assumption. Kasparov also a contender.

DonaldoTrump

I have them, why? Because I can buy tournaments!

AngeloPardi

A priori Karpov, then Kasparov as far as number of win are concerned.
Fischer has a number of top win, but played irregularly.
I would investigate Anand, Topalov, Ivanchuk and Kramnik in modern area, and also Carlsen.
Korchnoi, Tal, Larsen, probably also have a lot of tournament wins.

Before WWII there were not many tournament a year, but Alekhine, Capablanca and Lasker still won a lot.

But as was said by stuzzicadenti, tournaments used to be weaker, with the Interzonal and URSS championships being the only regular supertournaments, along with some ponctual events.

macer75
jod200 wrote:

I am a Muslim. .İslam is perfect.. But I am . not..lf ..I make a mistake Do not blame Islam. .But blame me..

Does making an off-topic post count as a mistake?

fabelhaft

Karpov 42

Kasparov 38

Carlsen 28

Karpov's tournaments were considerably weaker than Kasparov's. Karpov usually had one or two opponents in the top ten in most of the tournaments he won, while Kasparov often had four-five. Carlsen's tournaments have of course also been much stronger than Karpov's, and since he is still only 25 his stats look quite impressive already. More top tournament wins than for example Anand and Kramnik during 25 years of playing top events. Fischer played few strong international tournaments so his numbers can't compare.

JoachimH

fabelhaft wrote:

Karpov 42

Kasparov 38

Carlsen 28

Karpov's tournaments were considerably weaker than Kasparov's. Karpov usually had one or two opponents in the top ten in most of the tournaments he won, while Kasparov often had four-five. Carlsen's tournaments have of course also been much stronger than Karpov's, and since he is still only 25 his stats look quite impressive already. More top tournament wins than for example Anand and Kramnik during 25 years of playing top events. Fischer played few strong international tournaments so his numbers can't compare.

Thanks fabelhaft! Just what I was looking for! May I ask where you got this information?

pizzarollsroyces

Well, we can be sure he'll eventually break Kasparov's record, and it isn't hard to imagine that Karpov's one will also be gone soon after that.

fabelhaft

"May I ask where you got this information?"

It's an updated version of this list:

http://www.chessgames.com/~kinghunt?

The definition of super tournament is of course not something everyone will ever agree on. Here it is "tournament with two players that were top ten during the last year". A less generous definition would decrease Karpov's numbers since there were quite a few tournaments in the 70s where he had maybe one opponent ranked 8th and the next 19th etc. Kasparov and Carlsen have few such events.

fabelhaft

Fischer won six super tournaments with the definition used above.

JoachimH

Thanks again fabelhaft.

castleguy12

Mikhael Tal won the most medals on the Olympiad, maybe its him.

ChessOath

Wow that really is a generous definition...

Robert_New_Alekhine

It's Kasparov, with 40. Second is Carlsen. 

DoctorStrange

Carlsen will be #1 soon.