Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
Scottrf
rhwiggles wrote:

Something people seem to overlook with Anand is how strong he actually is in the endgame. He might be the strongest endgame player currently. His primary problem and the reason he loses games is his middle game.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1705520

Scottrf

Time pressure failings, not endgame failings.

Likhit1

Carlsen will win.I hope Anand doesn't get crushed though,would take all the fun out of it.

Scottrf
Crabiano wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Time pressure failings, not endgame failings.

Carlsen was making mistakes between moves 40-50, when he should not be in time pressure.

http://www.chess.com/news/tal-memorial-caruana-worlds-3-after-beating-carlsen-5240

Ah apologies, I was thinking of an older loss to Caruana, haven't followed the recent tournaments.

waffllemaster

Sure they both screw up, but one of them is consistently better.  ~100 rating points don't lie Wink

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Anand win.  I wish this match happened last year.  Gelfand wasn't as bad of a challenger as I thought though.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Carlson is something of an unofficial world champion at this point.  When it's possible for the world #1 and world champ to be two different people you know something is wrong with the rating system, as the champ is implied to be the best. 

Apoapsis

In the Tal memorial, Carlsen was +2. Anand was -2. Carlsen smashed Anand in their head to head. A match to 6 points would be over in 8 games.

bean_Fischer
Mainline_Novelty wrote:
APawnCanDream wrote:
Mainline_Novelty wrote:
bean_Fischer wrote:

Of the winner is who has more 6 points. Quite obvious. I am neither Anand or Carlsen fans. And I don't expect one of them to win.

Wait, what?

I think he means he doesn't expect one to be more likely to win over the other.

Ohhh ok nevermind then 

And th winner is ........................................ neither of them. Well, somebody has to lose. I hope they both lose.

Ahhhhhhh, never mind let winner wins and the loser loses. Who?

fabelhaft
ScorpionPackAttack wrote:

When it's possible for the world #1 and world champ to be two different people you know something is wrong with the rating system 

It's just to abolish the ratings, so Anand immediately will become a stronger chess player than Carlsen :-)

Scottrf

To be fair, in most sports, the highest ranking isn't necessarily the title holder, so I don't think it implies anything is wrong with the rating system.

Elubas

"100 rating points don't lie Wink"

They don't, but people think they do.

MrMars

Carlsen. Remember the last few games between the two? Isn't Carlsen ahead? Pretty sure he is gonna win it all!

samir767

pls see what vishy anand himself has to say about his chances and his views on Magnus in an interview to Indian express on  3rd July. 

to read entire interview pls visit http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-i-could-feel-my-effort-flagging-and-tried-to-stop-that-but-it-happened-despite-that-/1136847/0

Carlsen's apparent opening weakness, is it all that it is made out to be?

His alleged weakness in opening is something a lot of people have tried to exploit over the last five years. It is just an approach to chess that is different from that of many other people, from my generation. It's different and definitely an aspect I will have to take into account and work on. If I spot a weakness, of course I should try to exploit it but it is too simplistic to call it a weakness as if it is something he developed in the last year. If it really was, somebody would have been able to prove something in the last five years. For me, it is a bit naive to call it a weakness. It definitely is a peculiar style which I hope to find the right weapon against. I would rather say (in terms of a boxing analogy) he is someone who has a very fast right rather than a left, it's just a facet of his style.

How difficult is it to prepare against Carlsen's wider range of opening, universal style of play?

That is something I will tell you after the match, but what I will say is that everybody has strengths, weakness and different facets. I will take that into account and try and find the most successful antidote.

How much of a factor will it be, your experience of having played matches before?

Match experience is one factor among many and if you look at the history of matches, the less experienced player has won probably as many matches as the more experienced one. I would say it is a factor, and if you bring it to play then it will work for you.

IoftheHungarianTiger

I won't deny Carlsen is almost certainly the stronger player, and in a tournament I would bet on him to come out ahead.  But I look at this upcoming match in similiar way to the Capa-Alekhine match in 1927 ... Capa had just crushed Alekhine and everyone else playing in New York, 1927.  He was overconfident, wasn't prepared, and didn't have the right mentality for a prolonged match, and he lost.

I'm not saying this is necessarily what's going to happen to Carlsen.  I'm just saying an event like this is why I'm not very confident in Carlsen's phenomenal tournament performances as evidence of a sure win.  Again, I'm no expert, but I believe the mentality and preparation required for match play is very, very different.

Either way, I expect it to be a great match to follow!

Elubas

I on the other hand think the whole "Anand is more experienced in match play" is much less important than people make it out to be. Match experience is wonderful! But a very high overall chess skill is actually not so bad either :P -- something that is likely to come in handy!

Drakodan

You say that as though Anand isn't incredibly strong himself. Obviously Carlsen is strongER, but Anand is no slouch himself.

macer75
deandyu wrote:

Carlsen will win om rapid tiebreaks.

That's probably the least likely outcome. My bet is that Anand will win with a positive score in the standard games, and if they're tied after 12 standard games, then Anand will definitely win the tiebreaks.

Elubas
Drak0dan wrote:

You say that as though Anand isn't incredibly strong himself. Obviously Carlsen is strongER, but Anand is no slouch himself.

Right. It's all relative here. I'd probably faint in the middle of a tournament game against a "regular" grandmaster.

Macer, I think Carlsen is pretty decent at faster time controls. I think as long as either side is not obviously bad in those situations, it won't be particularly predictable regarding who would win the tiebreaks, because fast games by nature aren't predictable :)

Grab_her_by_the_pawn

Carlsen gets stronger year by year. It's just a matter of time when he will take the title. I think he wins in November and he will keep the title for a long time.

Atomic_Rift

Carlsen!