Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
fabelhaft
Elubas wrote:

I on the other hand think the whole "Anand is more experienced in match play" is much less important than people make it out to be.

The match experience thing is just one of those myths that never die. Spassky was a much more experienced match player than Fischer, Korchnoi much more experienced than Karpov, Karpov more experienced than Kasparov, Kasparov more experienced than Kramnik, and not only Kramnik said before the match against Anand that Anand was a typical tournament player, etc.

Botvinnik had much more match experience than his opponents but only won 2 of 7 title matches, and those wins came first when his opponents (Tal and Smyslov) had gained match experience. Of course there are exceptions, like Alekhine's rematch against Euwe, but then Euwe had won when much more inexperienced and was generally considered to be clearly inferior to Alekhine.

Psy_Junior

It might be someone else?

Dakshinamoorthy20298

I guess Carlsen will win

PhoenixTTD
Elubas wrote:

I'll predict Carlsen to win comfortably, but not outright crush Anand. Maybe he'll win by a margin of about 1.5.

How do you gain a half point heads up?

Elubas
PhoenixTTD wrote:
Elubas wrote:

I'll predict Carlsen to win comfortably, but not outright crush Anand. Maybe he'll win by a margin of about 1.5.

How do you gain a half point heads up?

Yeah, I guess you can't. I'll change that to +2 then.

varelse1
Frankiebones7983 wrote:

24 Games.

I predict 16 draws. In the 8 decisive games I predict that Carlsen will win 5 of them but lose 3 of them.

Are they playing 24 games this cycle?

SisypheanLife

I hope for a very close contest. Although I'm an Anand fan, still Anand is past his prime. But, I hope he can give the toughest possible fight in the match.

Of course I hope Anand winsCool

TetsuoShima

I think Magnus will win, even though i actually cant judge their skill and really say who is better.

It probably will be a lot closer match than people think. I think it will be really close, like the Carlsen Kramnik closeness in the candidates. But really it can go either way.

TetsuoShima
Victor-Servranckx wrote:

I know who the world would like to see win.

actually i dont think so, because Anand would be actually a poetical win, that the power of the youth cant tumble the wisdom of the old .

If Anand would win people would believe that chess  is also a country for old man.

Where old tigers dont get pushed away by new tigers, because they became toothless and weak.

TetsuoShima

you might be right, even though i believe the majority probably doesnt even know there is a championship ;)

kingsvista

Although I have been a die-hard Anand fan, I believe in that in terms of sheer skills Carlsen is a class apart. Carlsen is also the hungrier of the two; in fact Anand performance in recent times can be attributed more to his lack of motivation than any serious loss in ability. Anand's been there, done that, signed the fans' t-shirts. What still makes this WC interesting is whether Anand can leverage Carlsen's slightly brittle temperament. After all Carlsen is playing his first WC final in a country he's never been to and where Anand is worshipped ... it can be a bit overwhelming for the young rockstar. All in all, this is WC is Carlsen's to lose.

TetsuoShima

to be honest kingvista i think it will be much harder for Anand. The pride of India, playing in his country. Millions of indians watch him and wait for him to make them proud the way he used to do.

Magnus has nothing to lose he always can think he might get a second chance, but Anand how often will there be a championship in india.

Really the pressure on Anand is probably unbelievable high

varelse1
TetsuoShima wrote:

to be honest kingvista i think it will be much harder for Anand. The pride of India, playing in his country. Millions of indians watch him and wait for him to make them proud the way he used to do.

Magnus has nothing to lose he always can think he might get a second chance, but Anand how often will there be a championship in india.

Really the pressure on Anand is probably unbelievable high

Sorta disagree with your last. After all, assuming Carlsen wins, it won't the first time Anand has lost the title. And he would probably figure it won't be the last, either.

_Number_6
Tacticator wrote:

Carlsen, by a huge margin. (curious to see what others say)

Carlsen is going to crush Anand.  Carlsen has perfed over 2900 in most everything he has played in the last year.  That is light years stronger than mid 2700s.

If Vishy can win a game, I'll be impressed.

VicB
_Number_6 wrote:
Tacticator wrote:

Carlsen is going to crush Anand.  Carlsen has perfed over 2900 in most everything he has played in the last year.  That is light years stronger than mid 2700s.

If this is such a certainty, then why bother playing the match ? And wasn't  it these mid 2700 players that beat Carlsen 2 games in a row as White at the end of the Candidates ? Yes, no doubt Carlsen is the favorite and Vishy is not the player he was 5 years ago, but Carlsen is not invincible.

--VB.

NewArdweaden

Probably Magnuš Karelson, not Ånandt.

_Number_6
VicB wrote:
_Number_6 wrote:
Tacticator wrote:

If this is such a certainty, then why bother playing the match ? And wasn't  it these mid 2700 players that beat Carlsen 2 games in a row as White at the end of the Candidates ? Yes, no doubt Carlsen is the favorite and Vishy is not the player he was 5 years ago, but Carlsen is not invincible.

--VB.

Nigel Short played Kasparov and no one expected him to win a game either, yet he did.  Vishy is no coward, and he has had a great run as WC.  It's just that run will likely be over by the end of this year.  Just because "I" will be surprised if Vishy manages a single win does not mean it is a certainty.  It'll be intersting to see.    

waffllemaster

Why bother playing a match?  The loser gets $500 000  (just guessing, but seriously, it's a lot).

TetsuoShima
[COMMENT DELETED]
TetsuoShima
waffllemaster wrote:

Why bother playing a match?  The loser gets $500 000  (just guessing, but seriously, it's a lot).

but yes you are right i wish i had so much money, that would be awesome. Man 500000 now that would be like a dream. Why am i not good in chess