Forums

Why is touch-move rule not implemented in LIVE chess.com?

Sort:
Superqueen500

Because they cant see you clicking your piece?

AllanJones
Superqueen500 wrote:

Because they cant see you clicking your piece?

No, trust me, they can ... ;-)

blueemu

Band-width.

Under the current rules, each online player only needs to exchange TCP/IP packets with the server when the move is completed... say, forty or so times per game.

Under your suggested "touch-move" rule, EVERY player who is logged into a game would need to exchange data with the server at least a dozen times each second.

That would increase the band-width usage by a factor of at least 100x to 1000x.

Can you say: horrible, unplayable lag?

blueemu
Mersaphe wrote:

looks like we have a computer expert

Not quite there yet, but I'm working on it.

AllanJones
blueemu wrote:

Band-width.

Under the current rules, each online player only needs to exchange TCP/IP packets with the server when the move is completed... say, forty or so times per game.

Under your suggested "touch-move" rule, EVERY player who is logged into a game would need to exchange data with the server at least a dozen times each second.

That would increase the band-width usage by a factor of at least 100x to 1000x.

Can you say: horrible, unplayable lag?

So basically, you are explaining us that real-time-online-massively multiplayer games do not exist.

Well, I was quite sure they do but now I start thinking I was wrong...
:-)

blueemu
AllanJones wrote:

So basically, you are explaining us that real-time-online-massively multiplayer games do not exist. 

Certainly they exist. But the vast majority of the calculations (such as ALL of the graphics processing) is done client-side. The information exchanged in data packets refers mostly to (x,y,z) coordinates.

In other words... MMOs are played almost entirely on YOUR computer, not on the server.

Are you saying that chess.com should upload their proprietary chess software onto your computer whenever you log on?

AllanJones

[quote]

Are you saying that chess.com should upload their proprietary chess software onto your computer whenever you log on? [/quote]

Of course they should if it helps working smoothly.
Unlike MMOGs, there's nothing more basic and public domain that chess game algorithms.

But in fact, I got 2 or 3 non-technical arguments posted here which make me beleive that after all, the factthat the rule is not i mplemented is not such a big issue.

So for me: problem solved ! ;-)

the_corrupt_bishop

It's not a difficult coding issue, you could simply make the piece selection sticky, but like others have said, we have mouse-slip drawbacks and the rule was created for OTB not online. Calling it cheating is a bit of a stretch, or maybe AllanJones dislikes conceding a silly argument.

If put to a vote, I'm sure the vast majority here would vote this RFC down.

shell_knight

Woah, exchange data a dozen times each second?  I don't see how this would increase much of anything.  You only need to communicate for the first click of a piece that can legally move.  All other clicks can be ignored.

AllanJones
the_corrupt_bishop wrote:

[...] or maybe AllanJones dislikes conceding a silly argument.

Not at all :-) you didn't read correctly my last message. Or maybe was it due to my "airport English"? So let me restate: I said that I have been convinced after reading some comments in this thread that this is not an issue and that for me there's no more problem.  :-)

However, on the purely IT technical side, I firmly belive that implementing the rule would not be difficult at all. But that's a discussion about IT, not chess.

But again, I agree it's probably better not to have the rule enforced online.