Forums

Would you rather win a bad game or lose a good one?

Sort:
AnastasiaStyles

Elubas, not sure if your comment is directed to me, but if I understand your intention correctly then I agree with it, in any case.

I'd call anything that fulfils the classification requirements of "animal" as an animal, and I make no value judgements about that. I simply call a thing what it is.

dmxn2k

If for the rest of my dear life
If all I had were games so bad
And I won ev'ry one of them
I'd be content.

I'd play until I beat the world
I'd know I'd played the best
And to those chaps who would complain
I'd simply say

I beat them all; I did it my way.

Wasp_Enterprises

I've played a lot against bad chess players at school, and I always feel sorry for them. 

When I play with my good chess-playing friends, we have excellent games and it's really fun to play. 

So I choose the latter. 

royalbishop
DavidStyles wrote:

Elubas, not sure if your comment is directed to me, but if I understand your intention correctly then I agree with it, in any case.

I'd call anything that fulfils the classification requirements of "animal" as an animal, and I make no value judgements about that. I simply call a thing what it is.

Hey your smart.

Elubas knowns how to use the Vulcan Mind Melt. Your ways will be his ways. Your mind to his mind. It appears he has gotten stronger at doing it. Last time i checked he was real good at to the point that i had to admit it. Which is a first ever.

oz101

I would lose a good game.

royalbishop
MelvinDoucet wrote:

I'd draw a drawish game.

When i first started playing chess i learned how to draw games and became a draw master. Then got stronger and moved onto converting to wins before the option for a draw was on the table.

chasm1995
rupert2112 wrote:
royalbishop wrote:
rupert2112 wrote:

A game of chess should result in a draw if both parties are indeed aiming for perfection.  

A win in master level chess is like a dance where one skilled dancer might misses a step, often imperceptible to spectators.   The vast majority of chess play better resembles two drunkards aimlessly stumbling across the dance floor.

Ok. Can we get a photo of you stumbling across the dance floor. You said it not me.

With or without the lamp shade? 

Both.

royalbishop

Both you say.

shepi13

At my level, if I lose a game, it wasn't a good one Frown.

Sadly, even if I win a game, it still wasn't a good one. Cry

So I guess I would rather win a bad game, as my only other option is losing a bad game, and I see no reason to play for a loss.

chasm1995

@royalbishop: Why not?  You can't tell which one will be more enjoyable either due to humor or amusement without seeing both.

SmyslovFan

Coaches in various sports such as tennis and American football have long stated that while everybody loves to win, what separates champions from everyone else is how much you hate to lose. 

There are plenty of pertinent aphorisms, such as "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". Losing at chess is painful. I'd rather suffer a "bad" win than a good loss. I may not remember the wins, but my losses, no matter how well I played, are painful.

Ubik42

Just once, I want to see someone win, and then hurl the pieces to the ground and go storming out of the tournament hall.

PIRATCH

In chess you always win! Cool
Either you win the game or you get more experienced! Wink

You defenitely learn more from your lost games. Therefore playing well and losing will be good for deep analysis.

In a tournament of course I'll rather take the undeserved win. It only rarely happens to me! Innocent

OldChessDog

It's better to lose a good game rather than to win a bad one. There is next to nothing to learn from winning a bad game--usually plenty to learn from losing a good one.

bestchessplayer18

You can always learn from your losses.

YABOYBREEZ2012

hmm....win 

TetsuoShima
HotFlow wrote:

Considering most of us here are at mediocre level, myself included of course.  The outcomes of our games/tournaments win/lose/draw are hardly going to have any meaningful significance.  I'm somewhat surprised by emphasis thats being afforded.  Thus the only quantifiable derivative from such undertakings is our own personnel enjoyment.

i think thats a really bad atitude, what if all great people in history would have thought so... even though we never be anything more then mediocre not giving the best and strive for the best is a sin in my opinion

royalbishop
OldChessDog wrote:

It's better to lose a good game rather than to win a bad one. There is next to nothing to learn from winning a bad game--usually plenty to learn from losing a good one.

This is one of my perspectives of it. It is hard to think about taking time to study a game that was won compared to wondering why we lose a game.

sluck72

lose a good one. I would rather do my very best and still lose than win easily. If you're not challenged, you don't grow!

TetsuoShima
HotFlow wrote:

TetsuoShima

"I think thats a really bad atitude, what if all great people in history would have thought so... even though we never be anything more then mediocre not giving the best and strive for the best is a sin in my opinion"

I think you will find many so called "great" people got to be so due to the enthusiasm and enjoyment for their pursuits rather than the sheer motivation of topping their respective fields.

However, the fact remains that for you and me and for many others chess will and can only ever be a hobby.  Spending time on a hobby comprised boring/bad games can only amount to a wasted existence.

you make a very interesting point about the enthusiam i guess i must go back to reading the wsj