Forums

Yesterday 1500, today 1600 in TT

Sort:
torrubirubi

Some of you read yesterday that I decided not to go to sleep until I reached 1500 in tactic training. Today I tried again and went to 1600! Four more days like this and I am God! (okay, probably I will lose most of the points next time, but who cares, today I feel great!)

BradleyMar
I'm already 6432
LeonSKennedy992

Excellent job!  Keep working hard!  And congratz!

Tactics are at the core of chess.  You can be as positional as possible, but if you can't find the right tactics, you are doomed.

Again, good job!

LeonSKennedy992
BradleyMar wrote:
I'm already 6432

Please be mature.

pdve

I have gone from 1910 to 1950 purely by playing Crazyhouse

universityofpawns

Just wondering why all the people with high tactics ratings have lower ratings at actual chess games....guess there is more to it than tactics.

Nilocra_the_White

Congratulations. So Sleep depravation  is the real secret to improving your game... Hmmm....

Konnichiwassup

That's really not a good way to improve your tactics rating lol

torrubirubi
LeonSKennedy992 wrote:

Excellent job!  Keep working hard!  And congratz!

Tactics are at the core of chess.  You can be as positional as possible, but if you can't find the right tactics, you are doomed.

Again, good job!

Thanks Leon

torrubirubi
universityofpawns wrote:

Just wondering why all the people with high tactics ratings have lower ratings at actual chess games....guess there is more to it than tactics.

You need tactics to be a good player, but you will not be a good player only with great tactics skills. You need of course other things. Tactics is my biggest problem. I understand something on strategy, and I work more than enough on my openings and endgames. I am weak in calculations, and getting better in tactics means not only to spot a sacrifice leading to mate or winning material - it means also to be able to visualise things on the board.

Drewsef916

yesterday i was 1600 in TT today i am 1800.. only 1400 rated. But i did beat GM eric hansen in an odds game on here in my game.archive *toots horn*

Drewsef916

after reading this article i took her suggestions on how to.properly study puzzles and improve at chess i just got 17.correct in a row TT reccomend everyone read it https://new.uschess.org/news/how-to-study-chess/

torrubirubi
Drew, do you set the positions on a real board as recommended by the author? This would take a lot of time, or not?
Drewsef916

torrubirubi wrote:

Drew, do you set the positions on a real board as recommended by the author? This would take a lot of time, or not?

No this is what i did from her advice that changed it for me 1) First advice i followed when i got a problem wrong i stopped immediately and reviewed it. I made a note in my phone of the problem # (found in the stats), the tactical theme of the problem and why did i get it wrong If i completely missed the idea of the problem i noted that I need to find more problems of specifically that theme to become familiar with this tactical pattern. But for me After getting a few wrong this way I noticed my issue : I am dentifying the correct theme and tactical idea but making the wrong move from being tk hasty and not calculating to complete the tactic which leads to #2 2) Completely calculating tbe entire line of the problem including opponents moves in your head or on paper before making a move on TT. Before her article as soon as i found a move i thought was winning i moved right away. This is wrong. And being to impatient. So now i am calculating the WHOLE line. Then i still got one wrong and realized i wasnt asking myself is this the most forcing? is there a threat the opponent can make that im missing or a defensive resource? So then i calculated the whole line or possible opponent replies and variations until the win and double checked to see how it could be refuted. Then this way i got 17 in a row and went to 1800. My habit of impatience is from playing so much blitz. I realized im not a fast calculator i move too much on intuition and its just wrong move even though it can be the right idea so this is a new world for me

change000

happy.png))

Drewsef916

and by whole line i mean checking every variation if jt busts the tactic or saves my opponent and means its the wrong move. So calculatinf every variation. It is time consuming but pays off and is rewarding when it plays out in the board how u saw in your head after this effort

Drewsef916

It makes.you realize how many moves are possible then how many opponent replies and how many replies.you have. Then checking each one to see.if its a win lol new respect.for chess

drmrboss
torrubirubi wrote:

Some of you read yesterday that I decided not to go to sleep until I reached 1500 in tactic training. Today I tried again and went to 1600! Four more days like this and I am God! (okay, probably I will lose most of the points next time, but who cares, today I feel great!)

Dont worry, tomorrow you will be 1500 back!! 

change000

https://missworld.com/#/contestants/4767

torrubirubi
Drewsef916 wrote:
torrubirubi wrote:

No this is what i did from her advice that changed it for me 1) First advice i followed when i got a problem wrong i stopped immediately and reviewed it. I made a note in my phone of the problem # (found in the stats), the tactical theme of the problem and why did i get it wrong If i completely missed the idea of the problem i noted that I need to find more problems of specifically that theme to become familiar with this tactical pattern. But for me After getting a few wrong this way I noticed my issue : I am dentifying the correct theme and tactical idea but making the wrong move from being tk hasty and not calculating to complete the tactic which leads to #2 2) Completely calculating tbe entire line of the problem including opponents moves in your head or on paper before making a move on TT. Before her article as soon as i found a move i thought was winning i moved right away. This is wrong. And being to impatient. So now i am calculating the WHOLE line. Then i still got one wrong and realized i wasnt asking myself is this the most forcing? is there a threat the opponent can make that im missing or a defensive resource? So then i calculated the whole line or possible opponent replies and variations until the win and double checked to see how it could be refuted. Then this way i got 17 in a row and went to 1800. My habit of impatience is from playing so much blitz. I realized im not a fast calculator i move too much on intuition and its just wrong move even though it can be the right idea so this is a new world for me

This sounds interesting. I was thinking on making notes on all my mistakes, and today (even before you wrote your comment) I went to the stats and found the themes where I mostly got wrong. I knew one already: en passant-stuff. As I trained before rather a lot with another program (Chessimo), I never had to solve any problem with en passant, as Chessimo does not show first the opponent's move (and this is of course needed, otherwise you can not know if the pawn beside on your pawn was played just in this moment). I saw also that I had problems with Zwischenzug and with with mating net. With the last one I am getting a little bit better - find a way to prevent the king to escape. 

I will begin to do the same as you. I will make notes and try to find more exercises with the same motive. And spend more time in each exercise to calculate until the end. 

The last one is not always easy, as some moves are obvious and I spend a lot of time to came to the conclusion that the obvious one is also the correct one, and sometimes the obvious one is a blunder. Probably with the time I will make better and faster decisions about this.