Chess.com's servers is so unstable

Ulysse80

I tend to get connection time out, regardless of device. I've tested it on 4G (mobile) and on WiFi. It was, much, much better before.

notmtwain
Ulysse80 wrote:

I tend to get connection time out, regardless of device. I've tested it on 4G (mobile) and on WiFi. It was, much, much better before.

Why not try a wired connection?

I've never had a problem with a wired connection.

Therefore, I conclude that your 4G and wifi connections are the problem, not the chess.com server.

If it was the chess.com server, disconnection should have happened to me at least occasionally.

Ulysse80

Wow, just wow. 

 

1. My WiFi is a 5.0 gHz network with a speed of 312MBIT (max is 350, so WiFi coverage is quite good). 

2. I have full 4G coverage on my mobile phone / tablet and don't experience drop in the connection like I do with chess.com 

 

If chess.com's servers require a wired connection, then the people responsible for hosting the servers should really reconsider what they're doing. 

 

And, consider this:  Just because things don't happen to you, does not mean that it isn't happening to others. 

notmtwain
Ulysse80 wrote:

Wow, just wow. 

 

1. My WiFi is a 5.0 gHz network with a speed of 312MBIT (max is 350, so WiFi coverage is quite good). 

2. I have full 4G coverage on my mobile phone / tablet and don't experience drop in the connection like I do with chess.com 

 

If chess.com's servers require a wired connection, then the people responsible for hosting the servers should really reconsider what they're doing. 

 

And, consider this:  Just because things don't happen to you, does not mean that it isn't happening to others. 

I only asked you to try something.

You have diagnosed everything without even bothering to examine your end 

Just because it is happening to you, does not mean that it is the fault of others.

LanceBakker
Ulysse80 schreef:

I tend to get connection time out, regardless of device. I've tested it on 4G (mobile) and on WiFi. It was, much, much better before.

I can relate a little bit. I tend to lose connection while my connection is 'excellent', but those drops are just for a split seconds. Not that I'd time out from it.

Ulysse80

You have diagnosed everything without even bothering to examine your end 

Just because it is happening to you, does not mean that it is the fault of others.


Yes, you suggested, and at the same time, you concluded that the error was at my place, and not the chess.com's servers, while not being the guy responsible for the server hosting.   

I have tested it with several devices and connections to rule out any errors from my end. When speedtest shows almost full speed, very, very low latency and I don't get the same results with other programs / games, I have done my job when it comes to fail-test from my end, in your sayings; "I have examined my end here". 


For all I know, chess.com could have several servers across the globe, to best suit the different countries with the best possible experience. So, since you live in the US, you could be using a completely different server than me. 

 

notmtwain
Postafi wrote:

 Stay cool.

@notmtwain just one of the dozen informants and provocateurs supposedly policing the Forums.

Can recognise them by their unimaginative standard responses.

If you fall for the provocation and lose your nerve, they will nail you for violating the Terms of Service.

I have been a member here for almost 11 years. Chess.com is better now than it ever has been.

Tens of thousands of people play here every day. A few have problems. There are lots of little annoying things here but the overall site is strong and is a great place to play and learn.

@Postafi must be paid by a competitor. He never has said anything positive about chess.com.  if all the other sites were so great, you might think he would go there. But he doesn't.

What keeps him here?

Reepicheep14
notmtwain wrote:
Postafi wrote:

 Stay cool.

@notmtwain just one of the dozen informants and provocateurs supposedly policing the Forums.

Can recognise them by their unimaginative standard responses.

If you fall for the provocation and lose your nerve, they will nail you for violating the Terms of Service.

I have been a member here for almost 11 years. Chess.com is better now than it ever has been.

Tens of thousands of people play here every day. A few have problems. There are lots of little annoying things here but the overall site is strong and is a great place to play and learn.

@Postafi must be paid by a competitor. He never has said anything positive about chess.com.  if all the other sites were so great, you might think he would go there. But he doesn't.

What keeps him here?

Ooh!  A conspiracy theory fight!

superchessmachine
Reepicheep14 wrote:
notmtwain wrote:
Postafi wrote:

 Stay cool.

@notmtwain just one of the dozen informants and provocateurs supposedly policing the Forums.

Can recognise them by their unimaginative standard responses.

If you fall for the provocation and lose your nerve, they will nail you for violating the Terms of Service.

I have been a member here for almost 11 years. Chess.com is better now than it ever has been.

Tens of thousands of people play here every day. A few have problems. There are lots of little annoying things here but the overall site is strong and is a great place to play and learn.

@Postafi must be paid by a competitor. He never has said anything positive about chess.com.  if all the other sites were so great, you might think he would go there. But he doesn't.

What keeps him here?

Ooh!  A conspiracy theory fight!

So true...

drmrboss
notmtwain wrote:
Ulysse80 wrote:

Wow, just wow. 

 

1. My WiFi is a 5.0 gHz network with a speed of 312MBIT (max is 350, so WiFi coverage is quite good). 

2. I have full 4G coverage on my mobile phone / tablet and don't experience drop in the connection like I do with chess.com 

 

If chess.com's servers require a wired connection, then the people responsible for hosting the servers should really reconsider what they're doing. 

 

And, consider this:  Just because things don't happen to you, does not mean that it isn't happening to others. 

I only asked you to try something.

You have diagnosed everything without even bothering to examine your end 

Just because it is happening to you, does not mean that it is the fault of others.

I like your argument response. @ notmtwain

notmtwain
Postafi wrote:

Funny when these subalterns go on denying a bug or glitch after a competent authority has already confirmed it.

 

Chess.com admitted it was all their fault? What thread was that from? I must have missed it.  Please let me know.

/ Why do you stay here? You have nothing to add. You aren't trying to help. 

 

notmtwain

The original poster was talking about disconnections, not editing forum threads.

I know chess.com has made efforts to allow people to try different connection protocols and methods. https://www.chess.com/blog/News/how-to-adjust-your-live-chess-connection

I don't know how many people these options have helped.

I do think that chess.com should provide users with more info about the status quo of disconnections and lag.  Which groups of users from what countries experience the worst lag?  Which apps, which browsers?

WiFi connections versus cable, etc.  By time control, etc. 

 

IMBacon
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

  Wow... I thought Postafi just didn't like me.  Now I'm seeing the bigger pattern. Your right thow.....he has yet to EVER post anything constuctively positive about the site....the members or the Staff. 

Let it go Ron...

NYCosmos
Ulysse80 wrote:

I tend to get connection time out, regardless of device. I've tested it on 4G (mobile) and on WiFi. It was, much, much better before.

The answer could also be not you or Chess.com but the hundreds of routers you have to pass through to get to the chess.com servers. A one second glitch on any of the routers will not hurt a 100 Mbps wired connection, but it will cause annoyance to users on WiFi moving at 5 Mbps. Also you need to take in consideration the ability of your laptop, computer, or even a cell phone.
The easiest thing to try is to play the same games as always, but use a wired connection for a few days. No issues? Then you can eliminate wired connection and the laptop/computer used as a source of the issue. Then test a single WiFi network (home is ideal) with your laptop/computer from above and see if you get errors. No issues take that same laptop/computer and test a single different WiFi network for issues and so on down the line.
There may be no single source of the problem but an accumulation of small issues that rears its ugly head from time to time. And keep in mind that WiFi is wonderfully convenient but susceptible to boat loads of interference such as cement walls, metal cabinets and microwaves.

JamesAgadir

Chess.com v3 servers have got a problem. My WiFi isn't great by when I changed from v2 to v3 disconnection became way more frequent. I am not claiming I have perfect WiFi but I think that v3 disconnects at lower thresholds. 

IMBacon
JamesAgadir wrote:

Chess.com v3 servers have got a problem. My WiFi isn't great by when I changed from v2 to v3 disconnection became way more frequent. I am not claiming I have perfect WiFi but I think that v3 disconnects at lower thresholds. 

Here i only play correspondance chess, and the 2-3 blitz games that i do play on another site, i use a wired connection, and have never had a problem.

A1move

I play two paid sites.I wanted to see if there was a big difference and to see what one was more functional.Gameknot is working on my old android fast and properly.My chess.com daily games is not connecting and I have to back up and restart to make a move.Chess.com live chess works fine.When v2 to v3 took place,It has been time consuming to try and fix.No fix as of yet.Time running out for me.For four years 

torlundi

I only have an unstable connection when connected to Chess.com. I use my network allot working from home, no problems working remote. Chess.com on the other hand keeps saying I have a bad connection and I loose games because of it.