Forums

Got hacked to resign a game

Sort:
Nino_98

Hi, I posted in support, but it's taking some time so I'd figure if you guys have ever experienced something like this.

I was playing this game as white:

As you can see, I was in quite the clear winning position. However, somehow, in some miraculous way(I  made sure not to accidentally hit the draw or resign button) I apparently resigned...

Now I was playing on mobile and what happened was that I was trying to play Re6(which of course is not displayed in the game because I resigned), but as I confirmed the move the page jumped to the chess.com app home screen. 

Anyone know what happened or anyone who has had this happen to them?

Martin_Stahl

I think if the app leaves the game screen while still in the app, it automatically resigns.

Nino_98

But then why did it leave the game screen

Nino_98

I  was playing Re6 when it happened...

Martin_Stahl
Nino_98 wrote:

I  was playing Re5...

But you said it went back to the main screen. I don't know for a fact it does that but based on other topics on the forums, I think that is what happens. Why it happened? I don't know. It's possible you accidentally swiped when trying to move?

Nino_98

Yeah it did return to the main screen but like I said, I didn't do this myself

Nino_98

Also, why is this even a thing??? Wouldn't be more practical to just let people resign by hitting the resign button?

Nino_98

I was playing on the native app... when did I say otherwise? -___-

PhD_in_everything

I have a PhD in computer science. I believe your opponent did in fact hacked your chess.com account and pressed the reign button. There are a lot of smart people out there.

DrSpudnik

Hack my ass. I hear this so many times it's pathetic. You weren't hacked. A system malfunction or hardware malfunction or some other problem aborted your game and caused you woe.

Nino_98

I'm not saying I got intentionally hacked or anything, but this is a serious flaw on chess.com that should be easily avoidable. I've never had this type of problems on liche- you know who.

I also find it suspiciously convenient that its the moment my win becomes completely obvious that it autoresigned. I also was extra careful with what I was touching when I was playing because accidental resignations/draw offers have happened to me before(and most opponents are too desperate to decline something that offers rating points), so it wasn't like that!

sammy_boi
Nino_98 wrote:

accidental resignations/draw offers have happened to me before

Hey look, I solved the case!

Graf_Nachthafen

If your device really were hacked, the last thing you should worry about are the meaningless rating points on your chess account.

I mean seriously, do you honestly believe some hacker takes over control of your computer/phone/whatever while you are playing and has nothing better to do with that control than wasting time to influence a meaningless chess game instead of trying to gain money after taking the risk to commit a criminal act to hack you ? That would be like going out of his way to notify you he has successfully hacked you.

Seriously ?

macer75
Graf_Nachthafen wrote:

If your device really were hacked, the last thing you should worry about are the meaningless rating points on your chess account.

I mean seriously, do you honestly believe some hacker takes over control of your computer/phone/whatever while you are playing and has nothing better to do with that control than wasting time to influence a meaningless chess game instead of trying to gain money from after taking the risk to commit a criminal act to hack you ?

Seriously ?

Yeah... for all you know, the hacker could be texting everyone on your contacts list and sending them weird messages! You need to get in contact with everyone and let them know you've been hacked!

Nino_98

@Graf_Nachtfalen ffs, I never said anyone hacked my phone. I was playing Ra6, and the game jumped to the homepage and with no apparent cause I resigned. And like I've said a few times before, I made sure NOT to hit resign.

Nino_98

*Re6

sammy_boi

It doesn't matter what you think because you don't even know what hacking means.

Nino_98

And even if it were my own fault, it doesn't solve the issue at hand.. Because For a site that is completely oriented on playing chess, I'd say it's quite important to make sure you can't accidentally resign games by playing a move?

sammy_boi

test

sammy_boi
Nino_98 wrote:

And even if it were my own fault, it doesn't solve the issue at hand.. Because For a site that is completely oriented on playing chess, I'd say it's quite important to make sure you can't accidentally resign games by playing a move?

I don't know how they do it in the Netherlands, but let me tell you a secret.

If you have fat fingers, then use a mouse.

null