Forums

TinyMCE and IOS 5

Sort:
TheGrobe

I recently upgraded to IOS 5 on my iPad, and one of the things I was really looking forward was the ability to finally be able to utilize the full feature-set of the TinyMCE editor currently available to my Windows machines when posting in the forums.

To my disappointment, the controls are still hidden as soon as it detects that I'm using an iPad.

I can only assume that in order to remedy this, chess.com will need to update their version of the TinyMCE editor to the latest one, which is known to play nice with Safari on IOS 5.

Are there any plans to do this?  My hope is that in addition to being able to post richer content, we'll be able to do away with the garbled and all but indecipherable posts that are the result of people using the "Quote" feature when posting via an Apple device. 

Any insight from staff into estimated time-lines for this would be much appreciated, and feedback (i.e. support) from the growing user-base that is increasingly accessing chess.com via mobile devices is also welcome.

TheGrobe
TheGrobe wrote: I recently upgraded to IOS 5 on my iPad, and one of the things I was really looking forward was the ability to finally be able to utilize the full feature-set of the TinyMCE editor currently available to my Windows machines when posting in the forums. To my disappointment, the controls are still hidden as soon as it detects that I'm using an iPad. I can only assume that in order to remedy this, chess.com will need to update their version of the TinyMCE editor to the latest one, which is known to play nice with Safari on IOS 5. Are there any plans to do this?  My hope is that in addition to being able to post richer content, we'll be able to do away with the garbled and all but indecipherable posts that are the result of people using the "Quote" feature when posting via an Apple device.  Any insight from staff into estimated time-lines for this would be much appreciated, and feedback (i.e. support) from the growing user-base that is increasingly accessing chess.com via mobile devices is also welcome.
TheGrobe

For example -- and that's without me trying to find a place to add my comment to the quote.  Nested quotes end up completely indecipherable.

erik
It's on the list of to-dos
TheGrobe

Thanks for the quick response Erik -- any idea when we might expect it?

ozzie_c_cobblepot
Workaround = don't quote
TheGrobe

Yeah, that's what I do, but other's don't and it makes the reading experience cumbersome to impossible.

Workaround = don't read.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
While they're at it, it would be nice to be able to scroll through move lists in games while on the iPad.
TheGrobe

Well, you can, it just jumps to the top of the page every time you click one of the buttons.

I've taken to hitting the "P" and scrolling back to the board as quickly as I can to watch the game play out.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
I like clicking on individual moves. But that's only possible for the first 15 or so. And those buttons are just so small...
TheGrobe

What happened to this?  It worked beautifully, yet ever-so-breifly after the site update.

erik

which part isn't working?

TheGrobe

The only thing I get is the text box into which I can type my posts.  The toolbar dissapeared some time back after breifly being available.

erik

ah, yes. that caused a lot of problems for most people :/

TheGrobe

The Safari crashing has stopped -- were the two by any chance related?

erik

i don't think so :)

TheGrobe

Ok, well if it were a choice between the two, current state is definitely preferable.  I did like the ability to better format my posts while using my iPad though.

Thanks for the responses erik.

TheGrobe

OK, how about for iOS6.  I should at least get something as compensation for crippling my maps.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

I've discovered, as I'm sure you have TheGrobe, that HTML tags can be written directly into the box from the iPad. So adding a newline is <br>, adding colors (useful for some forums) is with <font color="red">Hello Red World!</font>

TheGrobe

So cumbersome, though.