Forums

Draw by repetition

Sort:
UnicornMan
In a live game you don't have anyone to tell you that a draw by threefold repetition is available to you. Indeed if someone did that in a tournament it would be a serious breach of protocol, like a spectator telling a player what moves to make. The software at chess.com works correctly by detecting that a draw is AVAILABLE, but not notifying either player. This is the fairest way for the software to behave as by the rules of chess a threefold repetition is not an automatic draw, it must be claimed by one of the players. It is up to you, the player to notice for yourself that such a draw is available. Same with a draw by the 50 move rule. If a player doesn't know about the rules it is entirely fair that they don't get notification. It is up to each player to learn the rules of chess for themselves. If a player doesn't know about the en passant rule, for example and chooses to play a live game it is not up to his opponent or the software to advise him that an en passant capture is available, if he doesn't know the entire rules of chess then he is at a disadvantage as he should be. It is a similar concept (but not identical) to being at a disadvantage to a player who has done more study of a particular opening line or study of chess in general. The rules are available for all to see and in chess as perhaps in life those who make the effort to learn the rules more thoroughly and study more are at a deserved advantage to those who don't.
UnicornMan
And it is up to each player to make the effort to watch out for a draw by repetition. As a side note the third recurrence of an identical position on the same player's move does not have to arise from simultaneous moves in order to be claimable as a draw. It is up to each player to watch out for this for themselves and act as they see fit when they notice.
philtheforce

this happened to me as well on live chess and resigned game as time was low! will know now to claim draw

UnicornMan

Experience is the absolute best teacher - it has a way of burning lessons into your brain that would be lost by just watching someone else's game.

Dragec
satorichess wrote:

I guess now I've lost more than a game on live chess that I should have easily turned on draw.

Maybe it would be useful to let know this particular rules (on a separate window) to the less experienced/novice players like me (even though you are supposed to be aware)

Thanks everybody chessmates

The FIDE laws of chess:

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article

d.

The game may be drawn if any identical position is about to appear or has appeared on the chessboard at least three times. (See Article 9.2)

The game is drawn upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by a repetition of moves):

a.

is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or

b.

has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

Positions as in (a) and (b) areconsidered the same, if the same player has the move, pieces of the same kind and colour occupy the same squares, and the possible moves of all the pieces of both players are the same.
Positions are not the same if a pawn that could have been captured en passant can no longer be captured in this manner. When a king or a rook is forced to move, it will lose its castling rights, if any, only after it is moved.

Masaki1

wow , 2 years ago u all were talking about that ... now on 2012 i just had this problem... why they didnt solve this problem? requesting draw for repetition with the draw button isnt obvious when all softwares do it automatically nowaday here in the future on 2012!! > <

ivandh

It's not a problem, it's an official rule, which you would know if you read any of the thread that you dug up.