ThebestA9player

???wdym

Goyael

not you but Ed Trice doesn't wear that usually

ZarufIqbal

f8=Q# or maybe f8=R#

Goyael
NuclearLightning wrote:

That was October 14th 2006 and everyone knows it’s me. Can’t you read my profile?

Press edit then post to change and not a lot of people know you

Goyael
ZarufIqbal wrote:

f8=Q# or maybe f8=R#

It does not work AND IS NOT CHECKMATE because the king has an escape square

JuergenWerner
Goyael wrote:

mate in 3. was looking for a mate in 2 with promotion to a knight after Qf4+ but king still escapes.

Goyael
JuergenWerner wrote:
Goyael wrote:

mate in 3. was looking for a mate in 2 with promotion to a knight after Qf4+ but king still escapes.

THE BOARD IS REVERSED AND I SAID THAT IN THE FIRST PAGE

Shaun67isthebest
Goyael wrote:
JuergenWerner wrote:
Goyael wrote:

THE BOARD IS REVERSED AND I SAID THAT IN THE FIRST PAGE

Why so much caps lock

Shaun67isthebest
JuergenWerner wrote:
Goyael wrote:

wdym?

Goyael

I said that in the first page that it is reversed

Goyael

What an argument

Goyael

For this whole puzzle, you were looking at black's perspective. Not white's.

Arisktotle
Goyael wrote:

Everyone playing chess looks at it from the black and the white perspective. And nobody cares about whether a board is posted flipped or reversed. The notation system of chess is related to the direction of play not to fixed coordinates written on a board. Therefore the checkmate square for this puzzle is b3 and not g6. Also the white king always starts a game on e1 and the black king always on e8, whatever you do with flipping or reversing.

What you confuse is function and structure. Coordinates serve to identify squares relative to the direction of play in a game of chess. That is their function. What is written on the squares or along the sides is structure. The same physical square can be b3 in today's game and g6 in tomorrows game when the physical board happens to be turned. Professional and club boards have no coordinates written on them. Those are for beginners.

Note: Interestingly, the 8x8 board helps us to identify direction of play. If the board was 9x9 the square e5 would be the same square on a physical chessboard whether the direction of play is bottom-to-top or top-to-bottom. Referring to "Ke5" in a visible diagram would not tell you in which direction the pawns play as they do on an 8x8 board! Fortunately, the chess puzzle community will assume white always plays bottom-to-top if the direction of play is not simply visible or deductible.

Goyael
Arisktotle wrote:
Goyael wrote:

Everyone playing chess looks at it from the black and the white perspective. And nobody cares about whether a board is posted flipped or reversed. The notation system of chess is related to the direction of play not to fixed coordinates written on a board. Therefore the checkmate square for this puzzle is b3 and not g6. Also the white king always starts a game on e1 and the black king always on e8, whatever you do with flipping or reversing.

What you confuse is function and structure. Coordinates serve to identify squares relative to the direction of play in a game of chess. That is their function. What is written on the squares or along the sides is structure. The same physical square can be b3 in today's game and g6 in tomorrows game when the physical board happens to be turned. Professional and club boards have no coordinates written on them. Those are for beginners.

Uhh, what I meant is that black pawns move up but you're correct. It's b3.

Goyael

Uhh