Forums

Higgs Boson - yes or no ?

Sort:
Winnie_Pooh

Did they find the Higgs-Boson or not ???

I want to know now - this uncertainty makes me crazy !

No more song and dance - give me facts ! Cool

ground-zero

A particle has been discovered with only a 0.0001% chance that it is a statistical error. However it is not necessarily the higgs. There is a chance that it could be an unknown particle that hasn't been predicted by the standard model, which would make things very interesting as the standard model is currently our best way of describing matter in terms of particles. It is most likely the higgs but it will take a few years to confirm that for certain. 

Crazychessplaya

Particle physics should definitely be featured more in chess books. So far, I've only found a reference to mesons:

Winnie_Pooh
qeypgx wrote:

A particle has been discovered with only a 0.0001% chance that it is a statistical error. However it is not necessarily the higgs. There is a chance that it could be an unknown particle that hasn't been predicted by the standard model, which would make things very interesting as the standard model is currently our best way of describing matter in terms of particles. It is most likely the higgs but it will take a few years to confirm that for certain. 

Hmm - 0,0001% chance of error means that we are 99,9999% sure.

Sounds good - I propose to round up to 100% and to say it is the Higgs - safes a lot of work Smile

Winnie_Pooh
Crazychessplaya wrote:

Particle physics should definitely be featured more in chess books. So far, I've only found a reference to mesons:

Wow -great !

That means the CP-invariance is equal to the advantage white has with the first move and can be calculated by using an chess engine. Cool

Something about 0,13 -  but what is the unit ?

Naakija

http://blog.chess.com/THCCKINGJON/solar-flare-2012-massive-solar-storm-headed-for-earth

pdela

Nobel prize today to Englert and Higgs.

To me they should have awarded also Tom Kibble. But I don't decide, there are 6 people involved in co-authoring the "Englert-Brout-Higgs-Guralnik-Hagen-Kibble" mechanism of symmetry breaking or "Higgs" for short and there can be at most three recipients.

pdela

CP violation was shown in 1964 and awarded with Nobel in 1980, that book must be quite old crazychessplaya

pdela

It even appears in the dictionary

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/CP+invariance

Short for charge parity invariance. A form of invariance in which reversing the sign of all charges and all spatial dimensions in the description of the physical system results in an indistinguishable physical system. CP invariance does not appear to hold in nature, as evidenced by the decay of kaons.

Particle physics should definitely be featured more in chess books - Now, we know why it isn't

Edit- Ok, I read it again (and better) it says that K- and B- mesons decay go against CP invariance in the universe. But in the universe of chess pieces with charge identified by color CP invariance holds. Bit intricated, but statement holds. MY FAULT

Winnie_Pooh

Mind-boggling .... frustrated.pnghappy.png

Thanks for sharing!