Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
cabadenwurt

Earlier today I had the radio on and found out that there were a couple of notable birthdays occuring today. In Folk Music circles one of the surviving members of " Peter Paul And Mary " was born on this day ( I think it was Paul ). Also two members of " The Monkees " share today as their birthday. Mind you I was confused as to wether I should put this latter info here or in my thread on TV shows as " The Monkees " are not considered a real Band by some. However they did have some nice songs out as well as doing their TV show. 

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

Mind you I was confused as to wether I should put this latter info here or in my thread on TV shows as " The Monkees " are not considered a real Band by some. 

Fie on all such purist dirtbags!

They had an abundance of fabulous ditties.  Such as the following, penned by Messr Nesmith himself:

AndyClifton

Another great one (although the bass run on the choruses does get a bit annoying after a while...kinda like that "boxed in" feel on the chorus of "We Gotta Get Outta This Place"):

goldendog

Many bands weren't "real bands." The Wrecking Crew were real instead, for them.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts. AndyClifton I'm glad to see that you like The Monkees too. My favourite songs of theirs include " Last Train To Clarksville ", " I'm A Believer ", " Pleasant Valley Sunday " and of course their TV theme " Hey Hey We're The Monkees ". Another Band that didn't get the respect that I think they deserved are The Kinks, some people said they sounded too much like The Beatles. But I really like The Kinks doing " Lola ", " Sunny Afternoon ", " You Really Got Me " and " Louie Louie ". Of course there were a lot of versions of " Louie Louie " but I think that The Kinks did it just as well as anyone else ( and if people say that they sound a bit like The Beatles then I think that is a compliment ! ).

Yes Goldendog I see that Brian Wilson ( among others ) loves The Wrecking Crew Session Musicians. Another area of interest for me is Country Music ( Classic Country and Bluegrass etc; Long Live Rockabilly ! ) and I have a few VHS tapes of some Country Stars taped in the mid-1950's. One can see a similar type of thing happening in the back-up bands for the Stars there. For Example Chet Atkins was a Guitar player for some years for the Carter Family ( 2cnd version ) and Floyd Cramer was a pianist for Jim Reeves.

Often when I go over to Youtube to check on some music I have a hard time to leave there, so much Good music, so little time  lol. Just had a chance to watch Louis Armstrong in a live version of " Hello Dolly ", Great just Great is all I can say to that.          

cabadenwurt

Earlier taday I heard a interesting version of an old standard on the radio. Fats Domino had a hit with " I Hear You Knocking " and his version is the one that I've heard most often. However I heard the original version of that song today as done by Smiley Lewis. His voice is quite different from Fats Domino but the song was still played in a " Bluesy " New Orleans kind of style. Smiley Lewis had out a quite a list of songs including a very interesting version of " Big Mamou ".  

AndyClifton

Whoo...Kinks!!!

One of my favorite video nuggets of all time:

AndyClifton

This one manages to combine 2 of my favorite PopCult items:  The Kinks and American Family (which still somehow has never been released on DVD!).  The song starts around 1:00...

chessoholicalien

Stones...

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. As for the debate between the Rolling Stones fans and the Beatles fans, well that one will go on forever I guess  lol.

cabadenwurt

Recently as I was rearranging some stuff here and I bumped into another of my old K-Tel records that I had forgotten about. It is entitled " Best Of Britain " and has quite a variety of music on the record. For example we have: Gary & The Pacemakers with Ferry Across The Mersey; Dave Clark Five with Bits And Pieces; The Kinks with Sunny Afternoon; Donovan with Universal Soldier and New Vaudville Band with Winchester Cathedral ( a personal favourite ). Warning: the British are coming the British are coming ---  

cabadenwurt

It is nice to get the first version of a hit song from the radio as one can get info on a variety of artists that may not be that well known today. Back in the early 1970s Janis Joplin had a hit with " Cry Baby ", a song that she really made into her own. However today I got to hear the original version of that song by Garnet Mimms & The Enchanters ( hard to decide which version is better  lol ). I also came across the artist who may have been the inspiration for Fats Domino, including even the name. Fats Waller was also terrific on the piano and not a bad singer either as can be seen on his big hit " Ain't Misbehaving ". Speaking of Piano Music I also heard the " Bumble Boogie " by B.Bumble & The Stingers, nice and lively !  

Also heard some sad info today at the passing of 90 year old Johnny Otis ( Willie And The Hand Jive ).     

Cystem_Phailure

Yeah, I love Fats Waller's stuff-- This Joint is Jumpin', Your Feet's Too Big, All That Meat and No Potatoes, etc.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Cystem-Phailure. Yes Fats Waller was a true pioneer and quite a terrific talent as well. One thing that I've noticed is that when I go over to Youtube to check out some of this music is that I have a hard time to leave there, I could spend all day over there  lol.

HessianWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnoiIvuQIw

The Safaris 1960, "Image of a Girl". "Wipe Out" was good but this has great vocals.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info HessianWarrior. That Youtube is one terrific place to visit.

Also I could not leave a update here today without mentioning the passing of Etta James. She had over 30 hits in her career and also won 6 Grammys. Who could forget Etta's signature song " At Last ", a great song by a great artist.   

cabadenwurt

On the touring front I recently heard that Van Halen is going on tour again soon and  David Lee Roth will be coming along as well. For us up here North of the border some dates in Canada are also planned.

cabadenwurt

Well I've just had a chance to spent a little time over on Youtube and check out some more music, lot of good tunes there. An artist that used to show up on the Tonight Show back in the days of Johnny Carson is Leon Redbone and just listening to his voice puts me in a good mood. He does a lot of Bluesy material but he also sings Folk Songs as well because he can handle quite a variety of styles. I gather that he still tours a bit but I don't think that he has really ever gotten the fame that he deserves. 

AndyClifton

Wow, Leon Redbone!  That guy on SNL...

cabadenwurt

Thanks for posting the photo AndyClifton. For some reason I find his voice and his presence on stage very relaxing, a wonderful performer.