Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
timbeau

I am unashamedly a Beatles fan. (and I long ago gave up the pretence of Stones-cool.)

My first concert was actually  The Beatles  playing at 'White City'  in Sydney, 1964.

Unfortunately I was only 9 years old  and don't remember a bloody thing.  But it still counts!

My mum was 29, she thought it was fantastic, even though she couldn't hear a thing -the  speakers  used then were tiny.   Plus, of course,  the massed screaming.  And yes! - apparently  the steps were awash with  the urine of hysterical teenage girls.

Squod  -above-  might be mildly interested to know  that in Australia in the 70s & 80s, there was a fairly popular, play-anywhere,  glam-rock band  called 'Hush'. (Trivia...)

badenwurtca

Thanks for the posts.

badenwurtca

We recently lost Peter Tork of The Monkees. Their TV show was a bit odd but they had out some nice songs.

varelse1

Aw damn, that sucks.

I liked him.

badenwurtca

Thanks for the post.

badenwurtca

I was very sad to hear about the passing of Leon Redbone at age 69, he had a style of his own and deserved to be better known. Redbone appeared on Johnny Carson's show several times as well as SNL and also toured throughout North America.  

badenwurtca

Woollensock: Sounds like a fun group ! Let us know when they release a CD  lol.

blueemu

Pink Floyd is my go-to group.

I also like the group that was put together by their studio sound engineeer, the Alan Parsons Project.

varelse1
blueemu wrote:

Pink Floyd is my go-to group.

I also like the group that was put together by their studio sound engineeer, the Alan Parsons Project.

+1

varelse1

I was recently watching a game show. (I forget the name of it)

Is sort of like Family feud, whereas the contestants are asked to guess the answers to survey questions. And in this one they tell you the first letter of each word.

Anyway, I saw one question was "Greatest Rock Band."

The obvious two were up there of course. Beatles and Rolling Stones. Other correct answers were Pink Floyd, Metallica, Journey, Eagles and KISS. (Elvis didn't count, as he was an artist, not a band.)

I wasn't really surprised by any of the answers. Maybe a little by KISS. But they had enormous impact on all the music that would follow in the 80's. So okay there. And Journey's apex was a bit shorter than the rest. But they did hit hard, while they were on top.

Then I started thinking about The Eagles. They did have Hotel California. Which was amazing on anybody's list. But then I thought, if you took that one song away, would anybody really remember the Eagles?

And when I compare that to others on the list, such as Rolling Stones or Metallica. With those bands, there is no single song you could take away from their histories, would diminish their posterity at all.

Sorry for rambling on. Is late. Just spitting out random thoughts.

batgirl

My own random, highly subjective thoughts... (in response to our friend @varelse1)

If you are discussing classic R&R, I think Buddy Holly and the Crickets is the first great group and an powerful influence to later super groups. The Rolling Stones and Beatles come next. I think the Beach Boys, besides being one of the most successful groups, was also one of the more influential.  The Yardbirds and the Byrds also influenced greater groups such as Cream, The Who and CSN&Y.  I personally like CCR and the Guess Who.  But who can deny the uniqueness and popularity of Queen. Yes was also another talented group. I never see them mentioned so I'm thinking they are perhaps underappreciated? I don't care much for Aerosmith or AC/DC but they were/are highly acclaimed with  armies of fans.  Fleetwood Mac comes to mind. I imagine they'd be classified as a super group too. 

If Hotel California had never been recorded, I'd still put the Eagles near the top of my favorite list. I could listen to them all day.

varelse1
batgirl wrote:

My own random, highly subjective thoughts... (in response to our friend @varelse1)

If you are discussing classic R&R, I think Buddy Holly and the Crickets is the first great group and an powerful influence to later super groups. The Rolling Stones and Beatles come next. I think the Beach Boys, besides being one of the most successful groups, was also one of the more influential.  The Yardbirds and the Byrds also influenced greater groups such as Cream, The Who and CSN&Y.  I personally like CCR and the Guess Who.  But who can deny the uniqueness and popularity of Queen. Yes was also another talented group. I never see them mentioned so I'm thinking they are perhaps underappreciated? I don't care much for Aerosmith or AC/DC but they were/are highly acclaimed with  armies of fans.  Fleetwood Mac comes to mind. I imagine they'd be classified as a super group too. 

If Hotel California had never been recorded, I'd still put the Eagles near the top of my favorite list. I could listen to them all day.

Thank you for the post Batgirl. I stand corrected, on my Eagles point.

Also, I was a little disappointed Led Zepplin did not make the list. Their list of hits nearly rivaled the Beatles. And remained popular for decades.

Also, if you listen any Modern Rock station, you cannot deny how much today's bands continue to be influenced by Black Sabbath. 

What would rock be, if not for that group?

But as I said, was a survey. No arguing with Democracy, I suppose.

badenwurtca

Thanks very much for all of the new posts. Some great groups are mentioned, great stuff.

badenwurtca
batgirl wrote:

---   Another early group that should probably be mentioned here would be " Bill Haley & His Comets ", mind you with me being an older fellow I really like a lot of the old stuff. That brings to mind a terrific film entitled " American Graffiti " which also provided my favourite movie-soundtrack with a lot of great tunes being featured from long long ago. 

batgirl

I mentioned  B.H. and the Crickets... 

About 15 years ago someone gave me the cassette tape collection of the Beatles Live at the  BBC.  One of the songs the Beatles cover (with Paul and George doing the vocals) is "Don't Ever Change," an early, 1961 song by Gerry Goffin and his wife Carol King and first recorded by The Crickets (who continued to perform after Holly died with various line-ups) on their album "Something Old, Something New, Something Blue, Something Else."   I had never heard the song before and didn't really think about because I hadn't heard many of the covers in that collection before. 
Anyway about 5 or 6 years ago I was playing the BBC tapes while doing some take home stuff for work and my boyfriend, who was watching TV in the same room, heard that song and asked me to replay it.  After listening to it more closely, he said it sounded like they wrote it just for me... which I thought was kind of sweet.  Then I just had to look it up....

Of course, they didn't write it for me.

YouTube, I just found out, has a copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCMdLFXjRs 

badenwurtca

Oh Oh we might have a mix-up here with 2 artists having the initials BH  lol. We have " Buddy Holley & The Crickets " as well as " Bill Halley & His Comets ". Another great group that I like very much is " The Beach Boys " ( Surfin USA ! ).  

batgirl

Buddy Holly was intentional Rock and Roll. Bill Haley always struck me as an anomaly or an accident. The Comets was a C&W dance band who sort of stumbled into Rock and Roll and really never belonged there. 

"Surfin' USA" was a copy of "Sweet Little Sixteen" musically, though the lyrics were prototypical Brian Wilson.  Chuck Berry's plagiarism lawsuit threat was settled out of court.  It's really sad because Carl Wilson was patterning his guitar playing directly on that of Chuck Berry.

varelse1
batgirl wrote:

Buddy Holly was intentional Rock and Roll. Bill Haley always struck me as an anomaly or an accident. The Comets was a C&W dance band who sort of stumbled into Rock and Roll and really never belonged there. 

"Surfin' USA" was a copy of "Sweet Little Sixteen" musically, though the lyrics were prototypical Brian Wilson.  Chuck Berry's plagiarism lawsuit threat was settled out of court.  It's really sad because Carl Wilson was patterning his guitar playing directly on that of Chuck Berry.

After Huey Lewis won his lawsuit against Ray Parker jr., he just retired, and became a golf bum.

badenwurtca

Thanks for the new posts and the info.

badenwurtca
batgirl wrote:

---   Thanks a lot the info Batgirl. Yes of course " Buddy Holly & The Crickets " belong in a class of their own without a doubt, however " Bill Haley & His Comets " also go way back to the early days of Rock. Plus there is also a connection between Rock and Country music thru " Rockabilly Music ". That reminded me of the fact that Elvis Presley had his big early hit ( back in 1954 ) with " That's All Right Mama " and also had his version of " Blue Moon Of Kentucky " on the same 45 rpm record. Of course Bill Monroe of Bluegrass fame had written " Blue Moon Of Kentucky " and when Elvis recorded that number he had to speed up the tempo a bit.